Stolen Pixels #191: Max Blame, Part 2

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #191: Max Blame, Part 2

Max continues searching for an answer to "are games art?" by meeting with one developer with a bit more ambition than is healthy.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
He would say a can of ravioli is a trip to Italy.

But he loves his job, doesn't he?

That said, I had a better time with Fable 2 than most people. It was my RPG of the year 2008. Fuck Fallout 3. I liked Fallout 3. But I loved Fable 2. I loved the world, the broken combat, because, while indeed broken, it was...fun. Using Time Control to teleport behind an enemy and slash him in the back never got old for me. Fable 1 had really clunky combat, with EXTREMELY slow MP regeneration.

Perhaps because I had NO expectations for it, I enjoyed every little detail. Every time Big Pete opened his mouth, I didn't listen. Although, I agree. The plot will suck in Fable 3. Just like it did in 1 and 2. But the writing...it's gonna be top notch.

And the humor is spot on in Fable 2. Did you read the item descriptions?

Besides, it's got this guy:

John Cleese. As your butler. Pretty much perfect casting.

Dr. Awesome Face

Jan 11, 2010
good stuff, loving the noir/max payne style going on. "Big Pete Molyneux. Supposedly the most dangerous man in gaming." True Dat.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I have to say Shamus, these Max Blame comics have been your best Stolen Pixels so far, both excellent, keep up the good work.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lmao, I am loving the Max Payne Art Noir feel recently, very nice

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
This reminds me why I don't dive to deep into games before I play them, I guarantee that you will have a better time with a game if you just know whether or not it's good than having followed every detail released on it.

Feb 13, 2008
Peter Molyneux is like the mad scientist who uses his powers for awesome.

Sure, there's a few plot-devastating holes and a few stitched together extra limbs but in general, they work. And there's the maniacal cackling of changing the world forever, but you can't make an omelette without flash-frying innocent bird babies.

Apr 28, 2008
I actually liked Fable 2. And Fable 1 for that matter, which everyone seemed to start to love after Fable 2 came out for some reason...

But I liked them because I didn't listen to any of the hype. And I'm doing the same for Fable 3.

Fable 2 was actually pretty fun. Its just the main plot was so awful I want to strange the writer.

But everything else was just amazing... the world, the fantastic dark humor, the amazing and funny side quests... all were just fantastic.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
I loved the representation of Molyneux, and to insert his personality in Vladimir Lem of all people. Stolen pixels at its finest!

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
Ha!

I just realized something. I haven't played Max Payne in years, but i recognize the actor who's playing Vlad - Marko, the lead singer of Poets of the Fall! People might remember the Poets getting a bit of fame when they wrote and performed Late Goodbye for Max Payne 2, based on a poem from the writer Sam Lake, who are friends with the Poets, and played Max in the first game!

I love Max Payne, and i love Poets of the Fall. Quite an awesome epiphany just then!

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
Awesome comic Shamus! It's a wacky and inspired idea mixing Max Payne and Peter Molyneux. I just hope Max finds the answers he's looking for.

Wumpus

Jul 20, 2009
Quite amusing! Look forward to the rest of the series. I'm a huge max payne fan, mostly of #1, didn't like too much what they did with #2. All the same, great stuff Shamus.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
The best line is "And it's going to be an exclusive... On every platform."

Onyx Oblivion said:
Besides, it's got this guy:

John Cleese. As your butler. Pretty much perfect casting.
Screw that, it's going to have this guy:

He's Charlie Brooker. And he's right about everything.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
So, I heard from a reliable source that Molyneux was making a new console exclusive...
ON EVERY PLATFORM?!

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I have to say, I'd take overly optimistic Molyneux making big promises that he can't quite live up to yet still manages to make an at least interesting game then someone who always takes the safe route.