Stolen Pixels #86: Left 4 Dumb: Part 8

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #86: Left 4 Dumb: Part 8

You ever get the feeling Left 4 Dead's Francis is overcompensating for something?

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
I am rather enjoying this series! Its only getting funnier as it goes along. Not to imply the earlier ones were rubbish but needless to say I think it's may favourite Stolen Pixel run yet!

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
As a military veteran who has reloaded an M16 many, MANY times, I always fall over in a fit of girly giggles when I see a macho, movie he-man reload his gun off-screen as if he were redialing his cell phone.

And I didn't know it was so easy to reload your push-broom.

Leslee

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
The last two panels' speech bubbles are in awkward places so that it looks like they're being spoken by the same person. I had to read it a couple times to figure out what was giong on.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
I've always judged zombie games by the quality of their shotguns. If the range is too weak, or the ammo too limited (overall ammo reserves, I can appreciate a good two shot sawed-off like CoD5's, but it better have a nice kick), I tend to get angry and stop playing earlier.

L4D has a nice one with a decent range, but that reload can definitely be a killer if you're not always topping it off.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
In something roughly as difficult as reloading two shotguns at once you can reload the shotgun just as quickly while hitting zombies with it.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
"Chic-chic, Hey it works!"
"Please don't encourage him"

AWESOME! These freakin rock, keep up the good work.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Those Zombies stood no chance against Bills Push broom, and not even tanks can take him now he has dicovered this reloading method.

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
I think the 'reload while you melee' thing works for all the weapons... very handy anyway. If you get low on ammo, just make sure you hit R before you start hitting stuff with melee, otherwise you'll still have no bullets in the gun when you hit the melee limiting thing.

I used to love the Autoshotty for raw power (and the fact that I almost always ran out of ammo with the Assault Rifle) then I discovered the magic of burst fire - quick click on each enemy, taken from a crouching position and they all go down with about 3 bullets fired per head. The thing's really quite scarily accurate when you're holding still and crouched, at least for the first few shots, and using quick bursts of fire will have the accuracy returning to full in between shots.

It's not such a good one to just empty into the torso of a tank, although if you've got some distance then the spread on the shotgun probably makes the rifle the better choice even for that situation... so long as you can keep your distance.

Heh... I remember one time the tank came charging over, soaking up fire all the way, everyone around me bolted and I just held position firing like a nutter into the oncoming wall of meat (I knew I wouldn't be quick enough to outrun him anyway)... he got close, I'll give him that, but he was dead before he managed to punch me.

ahpuch

Mar 19, 2009
Aaargh, another fan-fic reference. I enjoy these things more when I don't realize that its just fan-fic.

Love the last line, "Please don't encourage him" as it works as a comment to both Bill and Francis.

Frickin' brilliant series

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
lesterley said:
As a military veteran who has reloaded an M16 many, MANY times, I always fall over in a fit of girly giggles when I see a macho, movie he-man reload his gun off-screen as if he were redialing his cell phone.

And I didn't know it was so easy to reload your push-broom.

Leslee
It does remind me of Metal Gear Solid, where you'd reload every weapon, even the rocket launcher, by tapping R2 twice.
Fear the pushbroom.