Could Bungie's New IP Be an Action RPG?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Could Bungie's New IP Be an Action RPG?

Bungie's next game universe might be quite a bit different from Halo, if job listings mentioning a "branching or non-linear narrative" are any indication.

Bungie is best known for its Halo series of FPS games that were practically a household name in the past decade, and probably second-best known for its Marathon series of FPS games (a very distant second, but a second nonetheless). With Halo and Marathon under its belt, you'd think that its new "game universe" being developed under partnership with Activision would be a FPS, right?

Maybe not.

As noted Writing Lead [http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6260947.html] mentions that it would be "a plus" for someone to have experience with writing "branching or non-linear narrative(s)," which leads some to conclude that Bungie's next game might have RPG elements like Deus Ex.

Another potential clue is the posting for a "Player Investment Designer" [http://www.bungie.net/Inside/jobs.aspx#job25100] whose job it will be to build "worlds imbued with real value and consequence," and to give players "long-term goals to invest them in the world and their character." Also sounding pretty damn RPG-ish to me.

In fact, if not for the "branching narrative" bit, I might almost be inclined to say that it sounded fairly MMOG-eque to me. Whatever the case, it's safe to say that you may be significantly more attached to your character in this new Bungie universe than you ever were to the Master Chief.

(Via Gamespot [http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6260947.html])

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Everyone knows FPS players, especially Halo players, don't have the time to bother with a story when there's stuff to blow up.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Halo was plenty story rich, the problem was, the games were not. The books were great as anyone who has read them will tell you.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Teddy Roosevelt said:
tmujir955 said:
I'm fairly sure an FPS with a deep story can be done.
I agree, just nobody sees the value in it.
Yeah, after a particular FPS grabbed the genre in it's sticky grip and is only now beginning to loosen...

What was it? I can't seem to recall...

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Halo started out as an RPG...no seriously. They made a business decision to change it to an FPS and thus Halo CE was born. So they might be going back to their roots.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
tmujir955 said:
Teddy Roosevelt said:
tmujir955 said:
Sylveria said:
Everyone knows FPS players, especially Halo players, don't have the time to bother with a story when there's stuff to blow up.
Half-Life, Bioshock and Portal would like to have a word with you three...

Anyhoo, an Action RPG would be pretty sweet. Heres hoping they can pull off a truly interesting IP.

laryri

May 19, 2008
soapyshooter said:
Halo started out as an RPG...no seriously. They made a business decision to change it to an FPS and thus Halo CE was born. So they might be going back to their roots.
Halo started as an RTS if I remember correctly.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
laryri said:
soapyshooter said:
Damn, I think you might be right. I saw the video of Bungie history right after Halo came out so my memory is a little hazy. When was that like 9 years ago?

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Sylveria said:
Why can't they like both?

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
laryri said:
soapyshooter said:
Yup, it did. Otherwise we'd have never had Halo Wars. Also, it kinda makes sense with how generic a lot of units looks. RTS-wise it could've worked.

Not attacking Halo, I quite enjoyed the series while it lasted, even ODST.

Also, what's with all the comments saying people can't enjoy an FPS with a story? You people need to play a few released in the genre made the past few years. Seriously.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Bigeyez said:
tmujir955 said:
Teddy Roosevelt said:
tmujir955 said:
Sylveria said:
Half-Life, Bioshock and Portal would like to have a word with you three...
Anyhoo, an Action RPG would be pretty sweet. Heres hoping they can pull off a truly interesting IP.
You forgot Deus Ex and System Shock 2

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Teddy Roosevelt said:
tmujir955 said:
Yeah...because people whio play FPS dont want story, they want bullets, guns...and death

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
They call BS,ME2 and even FO3 a something X RPG so ya...even whatever they make can be slapped with a RPG on the end of it and no one but a few people who care about mechanics...or semantics will be bothered by it....