id: Rage Is An Evolution For Us

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
id: Rage Is An Evolution For Us

Rage [http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Xbox-360/dp/B00354NAYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278514257&sr=1-1] is a lot of things, but your standard id game isn't one of them.

When it comes back to first person shooters, all roads lead to id. Back in 1993, Doom created a template that has been refined and built upon over the last seventeen years. But it's been a while since id has really brought anything fresh to the table. This is where Rage comes in, a game that id believes will change people's perception of what an id title is.

"After we completed the last Doom game and Quake 4, we looked at the [id Tech 5] technology and ... what it allowed us to do," says id's Creative Director, Tim Willits. "We also looked at how we'd evolved as gamers and developers, and how the industry has evolved as gamers."

"We knew that we wanted to do something different, something that would change expectations of what an id software game was. We knew that, at its core, its very essence, it had to be an awesome first person shooter. We invented the genre, we do it great, we knew that everything we did with Rage would have to revolve around this first person core."

Will Rage be the game that reinvents id? Find out more by reading our preview here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/7506-id-Gets-Back-to-Business-A-Preview-of-Rage].

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, at least it's coming out. Unlike 3D Realms, id still makes games.
Games or tech demos?

I mean, they're great tech demos, and Quake 4 (which I thought was by Raven) was actually a lot of fun, but... anyway.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Starke said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Games or tech demos?

I mean, they're great tech demos, and Quake 4 (which I thought was by Raven) was actually a lot of fun, but... anyway.
Clearly, there is a game here, though. Whether it is good or bad, remains to be seen.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Rest in Peace 3D Realms. We will miss Duke.

Calumon: So... is rage a step up from mindless violence, or haven't we got that far?

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
It will evolve gaming technology.

I doubt it will evolve the FPS however. Everything it does has been done before. Unless this new title greatly popularises things that have been done before... like Quake?

[sub]I would still much prefer id to return to form with their games.[/sub]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
PayJ567 said:
How many ways can you show two arms holding a gun? That's a formulae you just can't change. OK rage you have my interest. I shall purchase this game.
This is true...although, the more combos = More Epic

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Once the tech reaches some kind of point of diminishing returns, or even just a ceiling, developers can finally move on to creating innovative titles. Rage still looks promising mind you.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
please pardon my lack of insight (for once)

but what I see and read from Rage seem to be a lot like Borderlands.
Ok Rage has a higher emphasis on racing but besides that?

Flame me or enlighten me, someone, please.

;)

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Descriptions make it sound like they took the best elements of farcry, stalker, dirt and mixed it into one game.