MW2 Stimulus Pack Crushes European PSN Store

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
MW2 Stimulus Pack Crushes European PSN Store

Despite all the complaints about the high price of the Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package [http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/games.php?id=2#/videos?id=14], demand for the map pack has been high enough to bring the European PlayStation Network to its knees.

There's an old saying that goes, "Put your money where your mouth is." It's essentially a dare to people to back up their words with actions. Because all too often, that doesn't happen: A lot of noise flows out the yaphole but when the rubber hits the road, most people will just shut up and get in line like everybody else.

Why am I talking about this? Because the high price and low content of the Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package, a collection of five maps (two of which were recycled from the original Modern Warfare [http://www.callofduty.com/codmw]), inspired torrents of anger and complaints among gamers who felt they were being unfairly treated; yet when the DLC hit the European PlayStation Store yesterday, they jumped on it so hard and fast that the PSN tech guys still haven't been able to get it straightened out.

Some customers who attempted to add money to their accounts yesterday were unable to do so, and may be unable to do so for some time to come, and a few have actually had their credit or debit cards charged for top-ups that didn't actually happen. PSN's advice at this point? Try again later, preferably in the wee hours of the morning.

"As we expect traffic on PlayStation Network to be extremely high over the coming days customers should try to make any purchases outside of peak hours if at all possible (off-peak hours: morning/early afternoon Western European time)," a PSN rep wrote on the European PlayStation Blog [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/05/06/playstation-network-issues-update/].

Having adequate funds in your account is no guarantee of a smooth ride either, as reports of problems with downloading and installing the map pack have also been reported. "As customers have the option to download all seven versions of the add-on they should identify which disc they have (disc ID can be found on the spine of the game's case) and only download the appropriate version for their disc," the message continued. "Where the download or install failed customers should attempt to re-download and install during off-peak hours if possible (off-peak hours: morning/early afternoon Western Europe time)."

And this, folks, is why Activision [http://www.activision.com] is charging 15 bucks for a five-map update.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
zala-taichou said:
Bunch of hypocrites. Not like it wasn't to be expected, but still a bit sad.
Hey but there are people who actually didn't even buy MW2 as they said, like me. ^.^

By the way, your avatar, what does it show?

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Any item or service is worth whatever people will pay for it. If you think its too pricey then don't buy it.

Having said that, in a week it will be in regular rotation on all game modes so expect to get thrown out... a lot.

Apr 28, 2008
Wow, really?

So I guess I'm one of the few people with an actual backbone who didn't buy this overpriced map pack. Awesome.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
This is one of the reasons I didn't buy the game in the first place.

I loved CoD...

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Irridium said:
Wow, really?

So I guess I'm one of the few people with an actual backbone who didn't buy this overpriced map pack. Awesome.
well I am not sure im going to get it... maybe when a sale comes around and its half-off but if people enjoy the game, then it shouldnt be a problem if they pay for it as long as they enjoy it.

Apr 28, 2008
Korten12 said:
Irridium said:
Wow, really?

well I am not sure im going to get it... maybe when a sale comes around and its half-off but if people enjoy the game, then it shouldnt be a problem if they pay for it as long as they enjoy it.
Yeah, but when they complain about it not being fair then overpriced, then they buy it the moment it comes out... its just stupid.

I don't care if people like the game so they buy the map pack, but when people continuously state how its unfair and screws over the consumer, then buy it the moment it comes out. Its just ridiculous.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
felixader said:
zala-taichou said:
Hey but there are people who actually didn't even buy MW2 as they said, like me. ^.^

By the way, your avatar, what does it show?
Heh, I'm still guilty of buying it, though I never bought it for the multiplayer (waste of money in that regard).

And my avatar shows Gundam Unicorn. Scene from the first episode featuring funnelrape by Kshatriya.

I am Spy

Dec 14, 2008
People are idiots. I'm pretty sure we established that a long time ago. What makes this hilarious is the second a new shooter with a big name comes out, Halo Reach for example (well, it's only on 360 but you get the point), MW2 will probably be thrown to one side with all it's overpriced content.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I know a guy who was charged 7 times by the PSN store for one download!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Crushes or crashes? I'm not sure why, but PSN Store wasn't destroyed, it crashed...

Nit-picking, I know, but it sounds like "he's evading a life sentence".

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
My private theory that there are many shades of causal gamer (of which not all of them are the stereotypical "casual" gamer) has just gained in evidence.

Or maybe I should replace "casual gamer" with "sheep"?

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
I play online on the PS3 but I'm still not getting this. Kotick's fat wallet is fat enough.

Waiting for Red Dead Redemption

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Furburt said:
zala-taichou said:
Ha, I still haven't even bought MW2!

How long has that boycott been going now? Cos I'm still on it!
Me too! though that was less a case of "not buying as protest" and more "not buying because I don't give two shits about that overhyped pissbucket".

The_Jott

Nov 9, 2009
well this explains why i couldnt add funds to my psn account yesterday, guessing i will wait for it to calm down and then try again. although it did stop me impluse buying ps1 games

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I know my family have had problems getting it and have been charged 4 timnes for the pleasure...