Obsidian Head Says Bethesda Staying Hands-Off With Fallout: New Vegas

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Obsidian Head Says Bethesda Staying Hands-Off With Fallout: New Vegas

New Vegas [http://fallout.bethsoft.com].

Fallout began life well over a decade ago at Black Isle Studios but, long story short, Black Isle was shuttered and then reborn as Obsidian Entertainment [http://www.obsidianent.com/], while the Fallout series lay dormant for ten years before being revived under the care and control of Bethesda. Now, it's like deja vu all over again: Obsidian is back at the helm, working on the upcoming Fallout: New Vegas, and old-time fans of the series will be happy to hear that Bethesda is letting them run with the ball.

"We all played Fallout 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Game-Year-Xbox-360/dp/B001REZLY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278522251&sr=1-1] to death," Urquhart told The Escapist. "One, because we wanted to, two, because we needed to really understand it. So we really wanted to understand what they were trying to accomplish and what their vision was. And then we followed up with questions."

"The amount of conflict that has existed - like, 'Why can't we do this?' - 'Well you just can't' - it's been like four things. A lot of it has to do with that they have ideas for the future and so they just don't want us to go playing with where they see their future," he continued. "For one of them, we were thinking of a certain city and they said, 'We want to reserve that for something we want to do.' It didn't really hurt what we were doing at all."

Check out the full interview at Fearqus Urquhart Comes Home [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/7500-Feargus-Urquhart-Comes-Home], right here at The Escapist.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
"For one of them, we were thinking of a certain city and they said, 'We want to reserve that for something we want to do.' It didn't really hurt what we were doing at all."
Let me guess. New York? Because that would be like... really, REALLY innovative.

Anyway. I can't wait for Fallout: NV. I've also played Fallout 3 to death.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
this Q&A & preview thing is proving a goldmine for news filler this last week or so.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well! Looks like they have gotten thingss all in hands! Cant wait for the release!

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
Andy Chalk said:
"For one of them, we were thinking of a certain city and they said, 'We want to reserve that for something we want to do.' It didn't really hurt what we were doing at all."
Let me guess. New York? Because that would be like... really, REALLY innovative.

Isn't Vegas on the West Coast? They might have thought about NY when they were at the intial stages of designing and still thinking about a setting, though I doubt that.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
this Q&A & preview thing is proving a goldmine for news filler this last week or so.
It's starting to bug me a little. Maybe we could ask to have these things removed if you're in the PubClub, like normal advertisements are? It might just be me, but I'd prefer the news feed to be full of just, er, you know, actual news...

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Furburt said:
Good!

If there was one glaring problem with Fallout 3 (which was good) was that Bethesda put far too much of their own design philosophy into it, and not enough of the Fallout one, so it didn't really feel like a Fallout game. With Urquhart back on board, and Bethesda just being the money fellows, this could turn out to be the best since 2.
Dear God, I completely agree. Hands-off? I'm glad they're not sullying Fallout with their hands.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Brotherofwill said:
Tiamat666 said:
Andy Chalk said:

Isn't Vegas on the West Coast? They might have thought about NY when they were at the intial stages of designing and still thinking about a setting, though I doubt that.
Indeed. Perhaps they were considering adding some other West Coast cities? I'd say Frisco or LA, but those two were in Fallout 1/2. Who knows?

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Am I the only one worries with Obsidian at the helm we will have a crapton of bugs and story elements that go no were, oh and a really bad ending. I still haven't forgiven them for KOTOR 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2.

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
Yureina said:
Brotherofwill said:
Tiamat666 said:
Andy Chalk said:

Indeed. Perhaps they were considering adding some other West Coast cities? I'd say Frisco or LA, but those two were in Fallout 1/2. Who knows?
The funny part is that Frisco does sound like what it would be called in the Fallout world...
Lets hope that Obsidian keep the story on par with the main Fallout series, I don't think we need to worry about it that much though, many of them worked on the original Fallouts so they should know the story and themes. The game looks like it will be fun anyway.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
Andy Chalk said:

New York would be long dead, surely you mean New New York, =]

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
New York probably would have taken several direct nuke hits though... probably being quite the unpleasant place go to.

Psychophante

Nov 9, 2009
Very good thing. Hopefully it will be less like Oblivion-In-The-Future. I did really like Fallout 3 though, and have high hopes for New Vegas.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Yureina said:
New York probably would have taken several direct nuke hits though... probably being quite the unpleasant place go to.
thats what would make it amazing!

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Korten12 said:
Yureina said:
thats what would make it amazing!
This is true... but now that i'm thinking about it, A Fallout Game taking place around New York (and, by implication, near New England) might also include MIT, which has been pointed to being where the Commonwealth is based. If anything, that's DLC material for a trip away from a ruined New York.

I wonder...