Nutty Preacher Proclaims Serious Sam as Our Savior

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nutty Preacher Proclaims Serious Sam as Our Savior

Is the second coming of Serious Sam just like the return of a religious figure? One psychopath seems to think so.

Croteam released Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter [http://www.amazon.com/Serious-Sam-HD-Second-Encounter-Pc/dp/B003N79PR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278515612&sr=1-1] on April 28, 2010, and a cult appears to have risen up around the game. This recent trailer, titled the "House of Sam," has a very preacher-esque Josiah Turtleton praising the name of Sam and doing a whole bunch of other nutty sh*t.

He juggles scarves, heralds the use of AOL CDs (?), and sprinkles HD around the room with Sam's trademark angry-faced bomb while trying to keep his balance in orange wheelies. It's all in the name of Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, which is a remake of the non-HD version of the game using Croteam's latest Serious Engine 3. Technically, the game is a remake of the sequel to Serious Sam: The First Encounter, which was previously remade in the same manner as Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, becoming the sequel to the remake. I aim to confuse. SSHD: TSE is available for the PC through Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/41010/] and is also coming to Xbox Live Arcade

First-person shooter fans without a Serious Sam under their belt, take heed. Serious Sam is a pretty awesome, albeit somewhat repetitive, series of games. The object is usually to shoot the crap out of a ton of monsters. Did I say a ton? I meant a TON (capital letters mean more). See the gameplay scenes in this trailer? You'll be doing that the whole time, and sometimes may be overwhelmed by dozens upon dozens of monsters in one battle as you constantly wonder when it'll end, but it never does. Quick save is your friend in Serious Sam.

Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter also has a bunch of multiplayer modes and 16 player co-op, but for the PC version only says a choir. It's currently $20, and should provide plenty of mad shooter action for the money. Just don't expect Sam to absolve your sins because you put on an orange suit.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Wierd ad but as a religion it makes about as much sense to me as any other so;

I hear you, i hear you lord and i shall go unto the steamiest of shrines to make an offer that is worthy of your attention in the hope that my life is blessed with something serious. Sam save us all.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
What the fuck...?

Honestly, that ad has nothing on the Kevin Butler PS3 ads in terms of funniness; or even anything Valve has done, for that matter. I feel like they were trying too hard.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
What's with the red nose? Does that mean the preacher drinks a lot?

Also, lol at the "gangsta" three finger ring.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Did I say a ton? I meant a TON (capital letters mean more).
Awww, why'd you have to go do that? Now we'll have a crap-ton of people spamming caps lock on their posts, because it "means more"...

OT: Yeah, I haven't tried a Serious Sam game before, but it's not the sort of game that appeals to me (endless hordes of enemies that you shoot). I'm sure all my friends will love it though...

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
That was hilarious and also very disturbingly strange. The bit at the end though with the operators? Priceless.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I bought The First Encounter HD and I don't like it. It's very repetitive, there needs to be some breaks in the action in an FPS game. If all I'm doing is constantly pressing down the fire button and shooting waves after waves of the same enemies it ceases to be fun anymore, because all the satisfaction of getting a kill is lost if it's all I ever do.

Another overrated 'classic' game to add to the pile of old games that hardcore gamers still praise even though the gameplay has aged terribly. Along with Deus Ex, AVP, Morrowind and many many more.

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
EA should take lessons when it comes to propogating video games using a religious message. Fake televangelism is funny! Fake religious fanatics are not!

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Saerain said:
Low Key said:
What's with the red nose? Does that mean the preacher drinks a lot?
What red nose?
You don't see it? His nose is as red as a tomato. Almost like he put sunblock on every part of his face except his nose, then sat outside for a couple of hours.

Projo

Aug 3, 2009
I don't know, the Church of Nukem makes it very clear what happens to heretics...