The Future of Team Fortress 2

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The Future of Team Fortress 2

Could Team Fortress 2: The RPG be more possible than you think? In an extensive interview with Shacknews, Valve's Robin Walker explained the future of TF2.

Funny that someone should conceive of Team Fortress 2: The RPG [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91296-Team-Fortress-2-The-RPG] not too long after Valve released an update for the game that added features that some might see as implying that RPG elements aren't too far off in TF2's future. The last TF2 update added two new features: a 50-item inventory for items, and a new head slot in the loadout menu. So, what, are we going to be grinding for new helmets and gear on 2Fort now?

Not quite, according to Valve's Robin Walker, who spoke with Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1124] about the future of TF2. The new head items will initially only be for looks, Walker said, at least for the time being. "Right now they're all cosmetic only, but it's obviously more interesting if they become more than that, so we're still thinking about that," he said.

So Valve wants to mix things up a bit, but they're not going to give TF2 a makeover any time soon. Asked about consumable items and trading items, Walker said that they were all possible. "We plan to do more than just cosmetic items, but we like to go one step at a time to be able to measure the effect of each change, both on the game and on the community," Walker said.

The main upshot of the last update, Walker explained, is to make it possible eventually for players to unlock items without having to complete achievements, which is the current method in place (and sometimes a motivator for cheating). "The primary change here is simply the decoupling of achievements and unlockables, which is the source of most of the negative feedback we've received around previous class packs," Walker said.

Finally, Walker also assured TF2 fans that more of the popular "Meet the Class" videos are on the way. "There's still the Pyro, Medic, and Spy to go," he said. "We've saved the best for last!"

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I'm going to start playing this again over the weekend,thank Valve it's Friday!

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
Great, now if they could only fix the problems with the server listings I'd be all set.
They have been. You remember all those servers with 30/32 players advertising websites?
http://www.tf2.com/
Read the post on March 12.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Engineer summons Sentry!
Spy uses Sap!
It's super effective!
ryai458 said:
never played TF2 is it good?
yes, it's tactical because of the different classes but it's still a great game to just jump into.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
LoopyDood said:
DeadlyYellow said:
Great, now if they could only fix the problems with the server listings I'd be all set.
They have been. You remember all those servers with 30/32 players advertising websites?
http://www.tf2.com/
Read the post on March 12.
Not quite the problems I've been having. Since the clan servers I play no longer show up on server listing (If that actually works at all. Half the time it won't list anything,) I decided to manually add them to favorites. Go on the site, get the IPs and away we go right?

Enter some of them. Nothing. Won't add for some reason. It acknowledges that they exist, but won't let me add them.

So I think maybe Valve has put some ridiculous limiter on favorites, so I go to remove them. Nothing. Option comes up, but nothing happens.

So now I'm effectively limited to playing only three of the clan's 8 servers, three that I am not particularly fond of either.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Kalezian said:
you should try 2fort2furious servers........ in two words: Karaoke Deathmatches
Well, Karaoke is typically followed by death of some sort. Seems like a perfect fit.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
The great thing about TF2 is the balancing of the characters, so don't overbalance the users.

Although I do like the idea of cosmetic touches...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Picked this up last week

TsunamiWombat said:
http://kotaku.com/5220736/team-fortress-2-patch-hints-at-new-headgear-huge-gameplay-changes

Anyone else hear about this?

Each class appears to be receiving new headgear, which may or may not have an impact on gameplay. The Heavy looks like he's getting a football helmet, with the Demoman getting a 'Fro, as they call it. The Engineer's getting a mining helmet, and the Scout's getting a batter's helmet.

The most intriguing, though, is the Sniper's "tooth belt."

The same documents also list other loadout slots beyond primary, secondary and melee weapons, including an open slot for grenades, PDAs and buildings. While that could mean that grenades could be returning to Team Fortress, those slots could be Demoman and Engineer class specific slots.

But the biggest potential game changer includes what appear to be Diablo II-like item attributes that modify the way weapons behave. These include variations on things like clip size, firing speed, critical hits, chance to slow targets on hit, Ubercharge rate and much more. Game files even describe these as having levels, naming weapons in the style of "Level 4 Medigun of X ÜberCharge rate."

If these randomized weapons drop from downed enemies, it could make the game very interesting.

Sir Pysco Sexy

Nov 14, 2008
Best server I've ever played on (and the only server I ever play on now) is Festers Place. If you like listenin to the Irish singing hits like Thriller, Don't stop me now and Total eclipse of the heart, then friday nights, festers place... is the place to be. =)

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
2fort2furious has a great radfio system. I like listening to Tenacious D or "Candy Pop" while fragging.

Pyromanaical

Sep 12, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
The great thing about TF2 is the balancing of the characters, so don't overbalance the users.

Although I do like the idea of cosmetic touches...
Mmmmm Same here......