Jake Gyllenhaal Doesn't Mind Being the Prince of Persia

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jake Gyllenhaal Doesn't Mind Being the Prince of Persia

Many actors would be worried about playing a potentially-iconic genre movie lead out of fear that it would haunt them for years. Not Jake Gyllenhoitytoity, who wants to be "taken less seriously" as an actor.

There are more than a few similarities between this month's Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and blockbuster series Pirates of the Caribbean - and it isn't just that they're both produced by mega-producer Jerry Bruckheimer. Both films are based off of unlikely subject matter (a videogame and a theme park ride, respectively), both are epics in fantastic settings with healthy doses of action and romance, and both star leading men that are rather popular among the younger female crowd in Jake Gyllenhallofjustice and Johnny Depp.

But while Depp came to be heavily associated with his pirate alter ego Jack Sparrow - for many actors, a powerful fear - Mr. Donnie Darko isn't worried about it. Speaking to the BBC, the actor said that being recognized as the Prince is an "honor."

"I think about kids saying 'you're the Prince of Persia!' That I wouldn't mind being locked into," he said. Both he and his leading lady Gemma Arterton have signed on for a potential sequel, but that depends on the success of Sands of Time.

Gyllenhallmarkcard, who came to prominence as Donnie Darko, and who was nominated for his role as a supporting actor in 2005's Brokeback Mountain, said that he wouldn't mind being taken "a little less seriously" with roles like the swashbuckling Prince in the future. "I wanted to fulfill the dreams of those movies I loved watching, like Robin Hood with Errol Flynn," he said. "Who knows in two or three years time what other weird thing I'll do?"

(The BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10101081.stm])

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This might very well be the first adequate videogame movie.

I still think Jake's man-breasts look icky, though.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
We'll see Mr Gyllen...hojy...wogy...watchamacallit, if we think your your good as the prince.

Calumon: If not, we'll just Reverse and use Samuel L. Jackson and laugh.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'm slightly worried this movie might not be as good as I would have hoped, due in part to the fact they're trying to make it a family film.

Don't get me wrong, Pirates of the Caribbean was fairly family film-ish, but it still had people getting killed and threatened to be raped (not directly) and all other sorts of not-so-child-friendly things. And yet it was still a hit and I enjoyed it.

I guess if it carries the same air that PotC did, I'll enjoy it.

Good to hear that this guy is on board!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Are people going to be offended by them using a Jewish guy to play the Prince of Persia?
(Persia is a mostly Muslim nation)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe ., I really do hope I can see this soon! Well, at least he is humble!

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
I can't take him seriously anyway, Brokeback Mountain sucked. I don't care what you say.

I really Jake did a good job acting in this movie, it would be really easy for him to fuck this up

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Souplex said:
Are people going to be offended by them using a Jewish guy to play the Prince of Persia?
The movie's creators and publicist's have been using the phrase Prince of (Pre-Islamic Persia) a lot...

Persia in those days wasn't Islamified... And besides, Persia doesn't even exist anymore...

OT: I can't wait for this movie... I think it's going to be the first genuinely good movie based on a video-game...

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
The more I see of this guy, the more I can't help but like him. Here's to hoping he puts on a good performance.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well he looks like the Prince, and from trailers I can see he's a good actor and he fits into the role.
Souplex said:
HE'S A JEEEEW!!!

Okay, didn't know about it, pretty cool.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
That...that's actually kind of a confidence booster. An actor who likes a character enough that he doesn't mind potential pigeonholing might even be pretty cool in the role.

Souplex said:
Muslims have rarely had problems with Jews, per se, both historically and currently. It's pretty much specifically the Israelis (and other Zionists) they don't like.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Alar said:
I'm slightly worried this movie might not be as good as I would have hoped, due in part to the fact they're trying to make it a family film.

Don't get me wrong, Pirates of the Caribbean was fairly family film-ish, but it still had people getting killed and threatened to be raped (not directly) and all other sorts of not-so-child-friendly things. And yet it was still a hit and I enjoyed it.

I guess if it carries the same air that PotC did, I'll enjoy it.

Good to hear that this guy is on board!
Well, Mechner, the guy behind the games, is supposedly heavily involved in the making of this movie, so don't be too worried =D.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
There's a chance this could end the drought of game-to-movie quality. Not a great one, mind you- the hurdle isn't high, but the pit dug by its predecessors is wide and deep- but a fair one. It's good to know that Jake Gylliesuitedsniper is really "into" the film and wouldn't mind it being his claim to fame. Here's to hoping!

[small]Also, one has to wonder if Jake reads gaming media posts about his movie, and if so, if he has a clue as to why we keep messing with his name.[/small]

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I've always liked him as an actor, and i'm starting to like the idea of this movie even though every other game-movie i've ever seen tells me otherwise. I hope i'm wrong, I don't care if it's not loyal at all too the games, just a movie I don't vomit at would be beyond my wildest expectations.
The Rogue Wolf said:
[small]Also, one has to wonder if Jake reads gaming media posts about his movie, and if so, if he has a clue as to why we keep messing with his name.[/small]
I must admit, I don't know myself. Could you please enlighten me?

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Funk, I will never get tired of your misspellings of Gyllenhaal. Makes my day.

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
I like Mr. Gyllenhaal as an actor, but am I the only one who thinks he looks too much like a bright-eyed little boy to play the Prince of Persia?

They should have just cast Johnny Depp.