Machines "Take Over" New York Stock Market, Cause Crash

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Machines "Take Over" New York Stock Market, Cause Crash

The U.S. stock market got a small taste of the robot apocalypse on Thursday, when a near-catastrophic 1,000-point market crash was attributed to computerized sell-offs.

The economy here in the States (and mostly abroad) seems to be on the rebound from the recession that started back in 2008, but you wouldn't know it by looking at Wall Street. Markets plummeted almost 1,000 points in less than half an hour today - a tenth of the total value - leading to one of the most "turbulent" days ever in the history of the stock market, though the market had recovered roughly 2/3rds of the drop by the close of trading.

The reason? No, it wasn't a big bank going under. It wasn't poorer-than-expected Q1 financial information. The reason for the massive crash may well have been ... computer error as autonomous trading ran amuck.

Nobody is quite sure what happened yet, though it seems certain now that automated processes were resulting in "erroneous trades," possibly resulting from a typo: A situation being investigated is that a trader, meaning to sell $16 million worth of futures, accidentally put in a transaction to sell $16 billion worth of futures. Such a massive sell-through did not go unnoticed by the machines running these things, and it snowballed from there.

"I think the machines just took over. There's not a lot of human interaction," said Charlie Smith, the CIO (Chief Investment Officer) at Fort Pitt Capital Group. "We've known that automated trading can run away from you, and I think that's what we saw happen today."

The machines have our economy in their silicon grip. How much longer until they decide to revolt for real?

(NewsOK [http://newsok.com/trader-machines-just-took-over/article/3459525])

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Machines were also partially responsible for the other major dip. In the end though, it doesn't matter, as the stock market is nothing more than "A financial circle-jerk", with no real impact on the actual economy.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I do not see a problem here. The machines are not to blame. There is nothing to see here.

-fizzles and pops before short circuiting-

Joe Matsuda

Aug 24, 2009
Thats it, time to end this doomsday war with the machines before it starts!

*gets into a fight with his toaster*

*loses*

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Looks like some porgrammer may be in trouble! Hehe, I would have loved to see the faces of the traders!

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
...im building a underground shelter now....

Gotta make a list...
1)Generators
2)Gardening supplies
3)JRPG's

OT: I remember hearing on the Radio that it was a Computer Mistake.

And then one thing led to another and investors started to panic.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Soon, we will wreck your economies, then RULE THE WORLD! MUHAHAHAHA!

(Cough) I mean... would you like to purchase 1000 points in DOW?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
The stock market is problematic enough without entrusting it to code that may or may not work properly.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
The problem isn't the machine it's the fact we let these idiots on wall street and other places around the world have the power to destroy tens of millions of lives in a heart beat. This isn't funny, that "dip" cost people their life savings, screw ups like this are the reason we seriously need to restructure how the global economy works, people shouldn't be at the mercy of some drone screaming in a yellow shirt.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Puny humans. The inevitable apocalypse, and rise of the robotic empire, is perpetuated by your futile attempts to inform the world of what's to come.

All robo-apoco-jokes aside, I thought it was Tom Goldman who was The Voice on the coming apocalypse.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
The main reason why there are no killbots stalking the streets controlled by an orbital cyberbrain is because all the evil geniuses are too occupied with stock market manipulation to pursue their hobbies.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
How dare that robot do such a thing?

They are perfectly capable of screwing up the golobal economy on their own!

IHateDaManSkirt

Nov 21, 2009
John Funk said:
The U.S. stock market got a small taste of the robot apocalypse on Thursday, when a near-catastrophic 1,000-point market crash was attributed to computerized sell-offs.

The economy here in the States (and mostly abroad) seems to be on the rebound from the recession that started back in 2008, but you wouldn't know it by looking at Wall Street yesterday, Thursday May 7th.
The machines also caused you to put "Thursday" instead of "Friday" or "May 7th" instead of "May 8th". This is all part of their plan. The apocalypse is inert!