College Football Team Uses Science for Victory

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
College Football Team Uses Science for Victory

Visiting college football teams may soon learn to fear Penn State's Beaver Stadium: Not because the Nittany Lions are vicious and unbeatable, but because they're using science.

When the college football season kicks off this fall, Beaver Stadium is going to be almost 50% louder when the opponents take the field than it is today - which means it'll be harder for enemy QBs to be heard. The trick? Penn State isn't adding any more seats to the wild student section (already 20,000 strong), they're just moving them to the southern end zone.

The relocation of the student seat was the result of data gathered (and numbers crunched) during the 2007-2008 season, when PSU grad student Andrew Barnard used 11 strategically placed sound meters to measure crowd volume during several home games.

Barnard found that his fellow students grew much, much rowdier when the opposing team had the ball: Noise in the stadium reached 110 decibels when the visitors were on the offensive, a staggering 50 times the volume than when the home team had the spotlight. His goal, then, was to find the spot where the student section would be the most effective.

[blockquote]When the stadium was empty, he searched for the best spots for an audible assault by carrying a noisy speaker around to 45 different seats and measuring how loud it sounded on the field... For seats on the sidelines, closer was better. Students sitting in the highest rows contributed very little to the overall sound. But the situation was reversed behind the end zone. Higher seats could be heard better than field-level seats because of a trick of the stadium's architecture, said Barnard.[/blockquote]

The resulting increase in volume will cut the QB's speaking range by as much as six inches - and that might not sound like a lot, but it'll almost assuredly lead to confusion and perhaps more false starts and penalties for Nittany Lions' opponents.

Science: It can save the world, blow things up, and give you a bigger home field advantage.

(Gizmodo [http://www.insidescience.org/research/penn_state_s_audible_assault])

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe, they are doing something sim,ilar in design with Wembley Arena, to try keep the Wembley "Roar" so to speak.

Great what science can do to intimidate!

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Wow, this is incredible. I don't normally keep up with college ball besides draft prospects, but this is a really cool story. Give MIT a football team, and maybe they can figure out a way to win the game without touching the ball.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
I think thats awesome and I don't even like football.
It'll do fine 'till someone builds a helmet with a built in communicator, then they'r screwed.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
TIMESWORDSMAN said:
It'll do fine 'till someone builds a helmet with a built in communicator, then they'r screwed.
You mean, like the ones they use now?

It's not completely the signal-calling that gets messed up, it's just harder to concentrate when it's that loud.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
JEBWrench said:
TIMESWORDSMAN said:
You mean, like the ones they use now?

It's not completely the signal-calling that gets messed up, it's just harder to concentrate when it's that loud.
Ah! I didn't know. Like I said, I don't fallow football.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Good to see some people breaking the stereotype that all football players are morons.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
This is the same thing Syracuse does at the Carrier Dome for basketball and close to the same for football. They don't call it the "Loud House" for nothing. When a QB can't be heard, they need to use motions to count the play. If one person isn't on track, bad news for the opposing team.

To note, Syracuse also has been known to practice with the speaker system cranked so they already know how to play in this situation. Pretty cool.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
BRILLIANT!!! But it still wont help those pathetic Nittany Lions...GO BLUE!!! WOLVERINES!!!

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
Wow, a reason to watch football. :) That is to say, American football.

In all seriousness, this is actually pretty cool but I'm surprised they only just recently figured this out. I mean, put a couple nerds on the football team and - oh wait.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
SteelStallion said:
isn't this like... technically cheating?
My thoughts exactly. This is only one step above paying people to injure the opposing team members before the match...

It's not like it was an oversight, they specifically designed it to be this way...

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
This is definitely the coolest story of the day.

Distorted Stu said:
Only 20000 seats? This would work much better for a larger stadium!
20,000 seats is ONLY the student section. There are probably another 80k seats or so for non-student fans.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
Surely this constitutes cheating, or at the very least unfair practice?

The only thing special that playing at home should give the home team is a sense of pride and a greater incentive to win.

I would call deliberately rigging the stadium to negatively effect the abilities of the other team utterly unsportsmanlike and reprehensible. Anyone with a spine would and should boycott playing them. Sport is supposed to be about the abilities of the team not their stadium.