Dragon Quest Card Game Gets Enormous Controller

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dragon Quest Card Game Gets Enormous Controller

Two huge buttons and a plastic sword hilt? Just what the doctor ordered for your collectible card game.

Square Enix is bringing card-based arcade game Dragon Quest Monsters Battle Road Victory - a mouthful and a half of a title - to the Wii, and to celebrate its arrival, is creating a huge custom controller to simulate the arcade experience.

The controller has two big buttons and a sword hilt sticking out of it that you press down to activate special attacks, and if the images of it are to believed, it's not exactly a small device.

The controller will retail at around ¥12,800, or about $137, which means it costs more than twice as much as the game itself will. Thankfully, the arcade controller is optional, as you'd have to be a pretty dedicated fan to buy it at that price.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/11/dragon-quest-monsters-battle-road-victory-has-a-monstrous-contro/]

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
If I remember correctly, that was the controller for the arcade version of the game. Let me tool through my pics from Japan, I bet I have one...

MrNickster

Apr 23, 2010
It's like the Resident Evil 4 chainsaw controller-You know it's fucking stupid and probably very awkward to use, but it's just so cool that YOU NEED IT!!

Setsuhen

Apr 14, 2009
I don't know why, but the more pointless an object seems, the more it becomes desirable.

Maybe it's just the two big buttons. Big buttons are alluring.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
I guess I'm the only one here immune to the allure of giant arcade buttons, I think this thing looks stupid and anyone who pays $137 for it is stupid. Yes, I am looking at you, stupid.

Setsuhen

Apr 14, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
I guess I'm the only one here immune to the allure of giant arcade buttons, I think this thing looks stupid and anyone who pays $137 for it is stupid. Yes, I am looking at you, stupid.
No mere mortal can resist the hypnotic properties of a button.

But I agree with you. As cool as it looks, two circles and an overly-designed down button do not justify the price tag.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Wasn't one of the original boons of consoles over arcades (I'm talking 80's here) was the fact different game controls were mapped to one controller? It started with all those shells, but now we're coming full circle.

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
That thing is a veritable monster, but it costs FAR too much to buy and then use with just one game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Do want. Do want.

*sees price*

Can't afford. Can't afford.
Hehe, same here...But, oh god does it looks good! Just what every gamer would love to sit on the desk!

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
As someone who has spent, at least, over $200 on PC-based controllers, joysticks, and gamepads, I give this a giant MEH!

Granted, I don't have to context of playing this game in a Japanese arcade, which is an altogether different beast than American arcades.

The idea of a Dragon Warrior card battle game interests me, but not the "sword in the stone" controller.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
More like $1337, amirite?
Wow, this is exactly the sort of nonsense people such as myself (as one who likely will end up with one of these) only perpetuate.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
This is what happens when you allow the Kaiba Corporation to design controllers for a children's trading card game on a console.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I've seen more complex controllers...

...like this special controller for Steel Batallion,a mecha game for the original xBox

Jeff Gibson

May 6, 2010
I want it.

Susan Arendt said:
Ahhhhhh HA! Knew I had a picture of it.
Actually, screw the controller, I want one of THOSE.

Aeshi said:
I've seen more complex controllers...

...like this special controller for Steel Batallion,a mecha game for the original xBox

I squeaked a little when I saw that. I would buy an XBox for that alone.