Comic Book Tribute to Firefly's Wash Launches in June

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Patton Oswalt is tackling the past of Firefly's Wash in a comic book set to be released within the next few weeks.

Many fans of Joss Whedon's sci-fi television show Serenity [http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Blu-ray-Nathan-Fillion/dp/B001EN71CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276714625&sr=8-1], might still be pretty angry about the cancellation of the truly awesome show, but at least it continues to live on through comic books. The next extension of the Firefly universe will be comedian Patton Oswalt's Serenity: Float Out, set to hit comic book store shelves on June 2.

**Spoiler Warning: If you haven't seen Serenity a key occurrence will be spoiled in the rest of this post**

A preview of the book is over on io9 [http://io9.com/5538609/exclusive-preview-patton-oswalt-does-a-firefly-comic/gallery/]. Patton Oswalt has penned a few comic book stories before so he's not a total noob here, plus he's a huge Firefly fan.

Float Out covers three tales of Hoban "Wash" Washburne, the pilot of Firefly's ship Serenity, before he was killed in the Serenity movie. That was the spoiler right there. Float Out is told through three old friends of Wash not met before in the series. As they christen a new ship and name it the Jet Wash after the deceased pilot, they tell harrowing tales of Wash's pre-Firefly exploits.

The Dark Horse Comics description of Float Out says: "Featuring a cameo that will leave Serenity fans reeling, this special one-shot presents new tales of the Serenity universe's past and tantalizing hints about its future!" Does this mean it will somehow lead in to the finally revealed secrets [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99120-The-Secrets-of-Fireflys-Shepherd-Book-Will-Finally-Be-Revealed] of Shepard Book coming in November? Either way I'll be camping outside my local comic book store on June 2.

Via: io9 [http://io9.com/5538609/exclusive-preview-patton-oswalt-does-a-firefly-comic/gallery/]

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
How good was this series anyway?I keep hearing about it,and now this!

Didn't it have only 13 episodes or something?What happened?

Apr 28, 2008
PurpleSky said:

FOX did its usual thing of cancelling anything thats good. And the series was awesome.

OT: Sounds cool. Granted comics aren't usually my thing, I may check this out.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
If only we had a comic book store... Well, maybe Amazon will have it. I love Wash and always hated the fact that they never told much about his past. Glad they set it right now.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Harrowing tales of before he piloted the Serenity, hmm? Seeing him in that hawaiian shirt alone would be harrowing enough. And the moustache. That's an image you can't erase.

el sparko

Aug 7, 2008
PurpleSky said:

Firefly is so good, I slapped one of my friends for saying he had downloaded it, liked it and then not bought it.

I physically forced him to buy the box set.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
"There's just... Something about him I don't like." I'm expecting to see that mustache somewhere in this book. At least once.
As for the secrets of Shephard Book, all I have to say is after all this time it'd better be a well told story.

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
PurpleSky said:

That is such a long, horrible story. Some exec at Fox had a grudge against the show for some reason, and saw to it that it was absolutely fucked. Kept switching its schedule so people couldn't keep track of when it was on, played episodes way out of order (the two-part first episode didn't air until the series was cancelled), and then axed it when it wasn't performing well in the ratings. Fox must never be forgiven.

And then Whedon went back to them for Dollhouse, and it seemed almost like he wasn't going to get screwed this time. And then came the second season.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Kavonde said:
PurpleSky said:

That is such a long, horrible story. Some exec at Fox had a grudge against the show for some reason, and saw to it that it was absolutely fucked. Kept switching its schedule so people couldn't keep track of when it was on, played episodes way out of order (the two-part first episode didn't air until the series was cancelled), and then axed it when it wasn't performing well in the ratings. Fox must never be forgiven.

And then Whedon went back to them for Dollhouse, and it seemed almost like he wasn't going to get screwed this time. And then came the second season.
Why does he keep going back to Fox? Everything he has done there they have screwed him over with. Makes no sense.

I hope they do comics based on other characters from the show.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
008Zulu said:
Kavonde said:
PurpleSky said:

Why does he keep going back to Fox? Everything he has done there they have screwed him over with. Makes no sense.

I hope they do comics based on other characters from the show.
Maybe he likes pain?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
008Zulu said:
It struck me as odd aswell, he has not fared well with them at all.
Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this now, it should be fun! Hopefully better than Better Days, that was pretty disappointing.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Tom Goldman said:

Patton Oswalt is tackling the past of Firefly's Wash in a comic book set to be released within the next few weeks.

Many fans of Joss Whedon's sci-fi television show Firefly, and associated movie Serenity, might still be pretty angry about the cancellation of the truly awesome show, but at least it continues to live on through comic books. The next extension of the Firefly universe will be comedian Patton Oswalt's Serenity: Float Out, set to hit comic book store shelves on June 2.

**Spoiler Warning: If you haven't seen Serenity a key occurrence will be spoiled in the rest of this post**

A preview of the book is over on io9 [http://io9.com/5538609/exclusive-preview-patton-oswalt-does-a-firefly-comic/gallery/]. Patton Oswalt has penned a few comic book stories before so he's not a total noob here, plus he's a huge Firefly fan.

Float Out covers three tales of Hoban "Wash" Washburne, the pilot of Firefly's ship Serenity, before he was killed in the Serenity movie. That was the spoiler right there. Float Out is told through three old friends of Wash not met before in the series. As they christen a new ship and name it the Jet Wash after the deceased pilot, they tell harrowing tales of Wash's pre-Firefly exploits.

The Dark Horse Comics description of Float Out says: "Featuring a cameo that will leave Serenity fans reeling, this special one-shot presents new tales of the Serenity universe's past and tantalizing hints about its future!" Does this mean it will somehow lead in to the finally revealed secrets [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99120-The-Secrets-of-Fireflys-Shepherd-Book-Will-Finally-Be-Revealed] of Shepard Book coming in November? Either way I'll be camping outside my local comic book store on June 2.

Via: io9 [http://io9.com/5538609/exclusive-preview-patton-oswalt-does-a-firefly-comic/gallery/]

That looks NOTHING like Wash.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Digikid said:
Looks a lot more like Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine wearing a blonde wig.

Nonetheless, this looks like it had promise. I actually let out a little whimper when poor Wash bit it in the movie. What a way to go.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
The Rogue Wolf said:
Digikid said:
Looks a lot more like Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine wearing a blonde wig.

Nonetheless, this looks like it had promise. I actually let out a little whimper when poor Wash bit it in the movie. What a way to go.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice!!!!!!

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
A preview of the book is over on io9. Patton Oswalt has penned a few comic book stories before so he's not a total noob here, plus he's a huge Firefly fan.
Plus he's FUCKEN AWESOME! I love Patton Oswalt!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I thought the series was okay, I work at a comic store so I'll definitely take a look.