Japanese Couple Married by Robot

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Japanese Couple Married by Robot

A couple in Japan's capital Tokyo are the first in the world to be married by a robot.

Tomohiro Shibata and Satoko Inoue like robots, so much so they didn't want a priest or a judge to marry them, they wanted a robot. So, at a rooftop restaurant in Tokyo the two were joined in matrimony by Kokoro Co.'s I-FAIRY robot.

Kokoro's I-FAIRY is capable of generating natural seeming movements like head nods and arm gestures based up on the speech it has been loaded with. The couple said that as robots had brought them together - they both work in the robotics industry - having one officiate over their wedding was a natural choice.

This is all a ploy, of course, so when the robot uprising comes, we're caught off guard. Just wait, you'll see.

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8685184.stm]

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
Next step: marriage booths.
Then: divorce booths.

And, well, anyone who's watched Futurama knows where it's going to go from there.

We're right on track, people.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Congratulations newly weds!
I wonder if T-600 Terminators also have a holy-matrimony subroutine? :p

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Great. Next thing we know we're gonna have Robots getting married by Robots!

WHEN WILL IT END!?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
But what if the robots start marrying the gays? They don't get morality! All morality would fall apart and we'd have an army of killer demons, robots, and dinosaurs.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
My, oh my. When will we be having Robots running our shops.

Calumon: They better give out correct change.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I now pronounce you human male and human female. You may begin kissing procedure.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, that was certainly intresting...Next step towards an automated world!

Newtilator

Sep 16, 2009
Alien Mole said:
Next step: marriage booths.
Then: divorce booths.

And, well, anyone who's watched Futurama knows where it's going to go from there.

We're right on track, people.
If i rmember right, the original show predicted them for 2009. I was so deathly dissapointed when i discovered Futurama wasn't going to be a cyrstal clear prediction of the future.

Zani

May 14, 2008
The Great JT said:
Seriously, Japan, what the hell? Marraige-bots? Those can't be ordained by any religion.
We'll just make a new religion!

Dibs on God.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
They're doing our surgeries... Marrying our people... Washing AND making our cars...

Next, they'll be in our bases, killing our noobs. And probably more practical stuff, but that first.

The Great JT said:
Seriously, Japan, what the hell? Marraige-bots? Those can't be ordained by any religion.
"By the power vested in me by motherboard circuit number 314652."

Zeeky_Santos said:
Suicide booths FTW! They could make a killing by combining all three.
"I now pronounce you man and wife."
"She gets half of your money. Sorry."
*BANG. BANG.*

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Well... soon the robot uprising will come...

I have to get married by a robot first, that's just great! Much better than those snooty priests who keep giving me the evil eye when I go in there for my fifth marriage of the week.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Fun facts about Marriage in Japan.

A wedding with a minister is completely unnecessary. To get married, all you really need to do is fill out the proper government paperwork. Most couples who can afford generally get weddings, most getting the comparatively cheap and pimpin western christian style weddings as opposed to the ludicrously expensive and uncomfortable shinto wedding.

So having a robot officiate the ceremony is not only completely legal, but one hundred percent extra.