CliffyB: Gears 2 Played With Itself Too Much

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
CliffyB: Gears 2 Played With Itself Too Much

Epic Games Design Director Cliff Bleszinski says the studio got "a little too hung up" on scripted sequences in Gears of War 2 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69459] that resulted in the game "masturbating" while the player just sat and watched.

One of the big giggles in any videogame, but particularly in those that involve head-to-head mortal combat against an intractable foe over matters like, say, the survival of the human race, is the moment of triumph. It's not just about winning: It's that final pull of the trigger, slash of the blade or kick in the junk that makes it all so special and worthwhile. And in that regard, Epic's [http://www.epicgames.com/] Bleszinski recently admitted that the studio dropped the ball a bit with Gears 2.

"I'll always be a staunch and loyal supporter of everything we do, but at the same time, as a creative, I always know we can do better," Bleszinski said in an Official Xbox Magazine interview. "That's actually one of my criticisms of Gears 2. I think we got a little too hung up on the scripted sequence, and that was always the joke: You don't want the game to be masturbating."

"There's a couple of instances where you're fighting a bunch of guys and suddenly the chopper comes along and finishes them off and you're like: 'F*ck! I wanted to finish them off. You just finished the game for me'," he continued. "Or certain things with the truck where you can just hang out and let the game play itself without any fail conditions. There's definitely a note to be taken from that to keep in mind moving forward."

"Moving forward" into Gears of War 3 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77663], presumably, which sounds like it will be a little bit tougher for players to pull off, so to speak. Gears 3 is currently scheduled for release on April 5, 2011.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=246808?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
After *finally* completing gears 2, I'm going to agree with this, there were a couple too many scripted sequences.
COLE TRAIN BABY!

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
TL;DR version, cliffy adds set pieces to all the things he hates that nobody else has a problem with? He wants a linear corridor where absolutely nothing ever happens that isn't more enemies spawning in front of you? Something tells me this guy would feel right at home in 1995.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Thats one of putting it.

I don't care. GIVE GEARS 2 TO PC CLIFFY B!

Calumon: It is pretty unfair. : (

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
He is right. Gears 2 was a hell of a lot better in so that it had a much MUCH better campaign than the first one, and he's right. The final boss sequence is the most infamous of that crime.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Yeah I agree, there were many sequences were the game played itself leaving me a bit bored.

But I forgive them for the multiplayer and Horde.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, they recognise a fault at least and are doing something about it. Nothing worse then seeing a fault, and then ignoring it.

Lets see what comes from it

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I never felt it was too overdone personally, Gears 2 was a fairly fun ride throughout the main campaign but I look forward to whatever Cliffy B. pulls out of his ass for Gears 3 because despite my distaste for the characters, the world, the color palette etc. calling the Gears games poorly designed is a fallacy, they are nothing if not fun to play.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Epic Games Design Director Cliff Bleszinski says the studio got "a little too hung up" on scripted sequences in Gears of War 2 [http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/] that resulted in the game "masturbating" while the player just sat and watched.
I think that is the funniest subheadline I have ever read here on the escapist.

OT: I hate when games do all the playing. That's why I vouch for as much of procedural techniques used as possible, and a minimum of cut-scenes and scripted events.

Asehujiko said:
-not referring to what you wrote-
You need to get yourself an avatar. You look like a newbie. It looks terrible when someone doesn't have an avatar. Looks like something is wrong with the user.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
CliffyB in humble and reflective mode? Isn't this the guy with a blonde on each arm who tells us how he drives a Ferrari to make us look good by association?

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Am I the only one who first read this topic title as "CliffyB plays with himself too much?" I am? Well sue me, I just woke up.

OT: Glad to see he's admitting a few of the mistakes he's made. Looking forward to Gears 3, especially if that rumor of dedi-servers comes to fruition.

EDIT- 300th post. would make some sort of 300 joke, but I don't entirely care.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Grey_Focks said:
Am I the only one who first read this topic title as "CliffyB plays with himself too much?" I am? Well sue me, I just woke up.
Me too. And it wouldn't be strange. He certainly loves himself way too much.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I can't say I agree with him, I found when choppers or other Gears units came to deal with enemies it made me feel like I was in an actual army, pushing the Locust back. Parts of the campaign, like where you backed up guys by firing mortars and sniper rifles from a nearby cliff made it actually more enjoyable for me. Although the final boss fight was probably the most annoying part of the game, after Gears of War's General RAAM (who I could only beat on Insane when he glitched and got stuck on a corner) the 'press right trigger to kill the mutated Brumak' part was just disappointing.

Also, Gears of War 2 should be ashamed of itself, it'll be growing hair on its palms any moment now.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Grey_Focks said:
EDIT- 300th post. would make some sort of 300 joke, but I don't entirely care.
I did, I felt bad afterwards... Anyway, congratulations!

Fun as some of the set pieces were, some of them did feel overly scripted. The brumak sequence for example, where you essentially just held down the trigger to watch everything die. Or that awful bit just afterwards where you hammer of dawn the same, now lambent brumak, by flying around it in circles. Hold RT to complete game... However, they did do a good job of breaking the game up. I just don't feel the hammer of dawn bit was a good way to end the game.

I'm hugely excited for Gears 3 though! Even if it is the best part of a year away...

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
It'd be nice if everyone else in the gaming industry would figure this out. I'm pretty fed up with how games seem to be becoming less and less interactive. Hell, Splinter Cell: Conviction practically plays itself. If I wanted to just watch a screen and not really do anything, I'd have gotten a movie instead.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
Good for him, admitting the game's shortcomings. I wish they didn't try at making the characters emotional and interesting, such as Dom and his wife. It would be great, if the efforts weren't laughable at best. They should either stick to the ridiculous two-dimensional macho characters, or actually put some real effort into character development, not just sticking a love interest and a death scene in and being proud of themselves.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
calling the Gears games poorly designed is a fallacy, they are nothing if not fun to play.
Well I guess you're right but that also depends on what part of the design you examine. Characters, story, art-design, colour-palette and aesthetics were all rather bland in my opinion. It was all nice and competent but completely void of anything that goes the extra mile. Gameplay was fine.