Jake Gyllenhaal to Game Executives: Call Me

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jake Gyllenhaal to Game Executives: Call Me

Prince of Persia [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473075/] star Jake Gyllenhaal says he'd be "totally into" lending his voice to a future Prince of Persia videogame and that no matter what Roger Ebert says, he thinks games are art, too.

Some movie stars get involved in videogame tie-ins because they're contractually obligated to do so. A gushing Gyllenhaal, on the other hand, sounded more like he was ready to go bang on Bobby Kotick's door and ask for a job.

"Oh yeah. Of course," he replied, when asked if he'd be willing to do some voice acting in a future game. "It would be an honor. If other people in the games industry are anywhere near as cool as [Prince of Persia game creator and movie scriptwriter] Jordan Mechner then without a doubt. In fact, even if they're not. I'd be totally into it."

"Of course, it depends on what it is and what the story is - but if game makers read this, I'm interested," he added. "It's all about the story with me."

Further burnishing his gamer cred, Gyllenhaal waded into the "games as art" debate, giving at least the appearance of someone who's put some thought into the question. "Without a doubt - it is art. This is art, you know?" he said. "Following your creative instinct is art, no doubt. Yeah, there's a big business behind it and that's for sure, but for me, it's an artistic choice."

Well said, Jake. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time opens in theaters across North America on May 28.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=247149?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I want to reserve my judgement on him, I want to see the film first.

But, if, he is cool, and it does it justice. I would love to see him going further in the role

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
We'll see... Mr Gyllenhaal. Lets just see how good you are before you ask for anything of this Calibre.

Calumon: Oh and heads up to Prince of Persia fans, the next one isn't that great. I can see the future! ^^

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Okay, I am so seeing this movie, not only does it look good even the main actor knows what he is talking about when it comes to games! Jake, you are now up there with my favourite actors.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I'm tempted to see the film now. If only because I'm actually starting to like him based on what he's been saying about the game industry and why he took the role of the Prince lately.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Lets see first, lets see...

Ive actually heard more about the movie than the game, but might check it out.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
It's just nice to see someone that feels connected with what they're doing. Even if he's not the biggest gamer, he attacks this sort of thing with a reckless abandon-based sense of intrigue. This is what happens when our generation starts to get old.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I predict that the movie will be horrible, but I'm going to see it anyway so I can get all fanboy on its behind.

Still, I like how Gyllenhaal thinks, I'll reserve judgement of him for the future.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
Respect to Jake. When I open up my game studio in Houston, Texas I will call upon Jake's voice and his chesty-ness

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Anyone have Forgotten Sands yet, speaking of PoP? I picked up Alan Wake and Red Dead, and hope I didn't miss out of another great PoP game...

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Jake Gyllenhaal then went on to describe gamers as "totally awesome", before adding "please be my friend! i'm so lonely"

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
I'm starting to like this guy.

Damnit, now I have to check out the game and movie too, like I wasn't already broke.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Hey, Gillen-hoola-hey's a good actor, I'm sure he'd be great in VO work. I wouldn't want him to do the Prince (that should only ever be the guy who voiced him in the SoT game) but I imagine him to have a Nolan-North-but-not-thank-God quality of work.

Nothing against Nolan North, but he can't be in everything.

CAN HE?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Wow, you went through an entire article without calling him gyllenheimlich, or gyllenjellopuddin' or something like that.