It's-a Mario, Fluent En Español

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
It's-a Mario, Fluent En Español

Have you ever wanted to see the voice of Mario speaking fluent Spanish? Yes you have, you just didn't know it.

The above video is a clip from a Spanish Super Mario Galaxy 2 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75083] promotion event held yesterday morning at the Sala Cuarta Pared in Madrid Theatre. The man speaking is none other than Charles Martinet, the man behind the iconic voices of Mario, Wario, Luigi, and others.

While Martinet is very talented at affecting cheesy fake Italian accents in a number of voices, it turns out he also has another talent. The man is fluent in Spanish, thanks to living a number of years in Barcelona. In fact, RevoGamers [http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/charles-martinet-pone-voz-a-la-presentacion-de-mario-galaxy-2-5076.html] calls his Castilian "perfect," and I sure as hell ain't gonna argue with people who speak the language natively.

I have to admit: It is cool to see that Mr. Martinet is so talented in another language, but hearing what is unmistakably Mario's voice say "Gracias" is kind of odd.

(via GoNintendo [http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=124064])

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That does sound kinda odd, but, kinda cool same time! Im so gonna show this to the spanish girl here in my office...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Hehe, it's pretty funny to listen, especially if you understand what he's saying.

He talks, amongst other things, about sensors attached to voice actor's face, and when he talks, the character moves his lips as if saying "Hola, soy yo, Mario" and they animate in real-time.

And yeah, his Castellano is muy... I mean, very natural. Almost as good as my Spanish teacher's accent, but Javier is from Spain, so that's nothing special.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Muy Bueno y Divertido!

Apendar un poco Espana en Perú para cuatro semana, pero no mucho. Mi espanol es muy malo!

Divertido!

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Well, it makes sense, considering Mr. Martinet/Mario enters every level in NSMBWii by shouting "Mexico!"

(Seriously, play the game and listen to it. I don't care what he thinks he's saying, he's saying "Mexico".)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
It is fun listening to games and films in different languages. I studies Spanish for years and didn't have a clue what he was saying. GO EDUCATION SYSTEM!

Rauten

Capitalism ho!
Apr 4, 2010
His spanish is VERY good, undoubtedly, but not perfect. His accent is a bit weird, and he keeps calling the characters "caracteres", which, although a Spanish word, it's not used for the same things. The right word would be "personajes".

Still, rather cool to see the voice of Mario speaking such good fluent Spanish.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Well I'm Spanish born and raised and I take issue to the claims of him speaking perfect Castillian.

However, I will say that knowing Mario can speak ALMOST PERFECT Spanish has made my day :p

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
He doesn't speak quite flawless spanish, but yeah, he's speaking quite well for someone who hadn't spoken a word of spanish in like 20 years... Btw, that audience is full of fucking pricks, nobody laughed nor applauded the puns, wtf is up with that?

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Ah, ahora no tengo bastante tiempo para mirar todo el video, pero su voz me trae de vuelta a mi tiempo divertido en Espana. Fueron cuatro meses inolvidables. Lo siento la falta de acentos, es muy dificil escribirlos en una notebook.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
This is probably going to be the unpopular opinion here, but this news post is a little (very little) potentially offensive don't you think? An entire news post that basically, at least in my reading, amounts to "LOL SPANISH" just comes across as crass.

Personally? I think it's funny because it's potentially offensive, but then, I'm an asshole. I'm mature enough to realize that you can't please everyone all the time so I'm not actually bothered by this (as long as you continue to maintain a great website. And you will.) I just think I'd pass along how it might come across to those more apt to butthurt.

But honestly, fuck em anyway. Keep up the lulz.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hiphophippo said:
This is probably going to be the unpopular opinion here, but this news post is a little (very little) potentially offensive don't you think? An entire news post that basically, at least in my reading, amounts to "LOL SPANISH" just comes across as crass.

Personally? I think it's funny because it's potentially offensive, but then, I'm an asshole. I'm mature enough to realize that you can't please everyone all the time so I'm not actually bothered by this (as long as you continue to maintain a great website. And you will.) I just think I'd pass along how it might come across to those more apt to butthurt.

"lol Spanish"? Dude, I'm impressed as hell. It's cool that Mario is fluent in another language! :p

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
John Funk said:
Hiphophippo said:

"lol Spanish"? Dude, I'm impressed as hell. It's cool that Mario is fluent in another language! :p
Don't misunderstand me, I kinda think it is too. But you know how people are.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Sabrestar said:
Well, it makes sense, considering Mr. Martinet/Mario enters every level in NSMBWii by shouting "Mexico!"

(Seriously, play the game and listen to it. I don't care what he thinks he's saying, he's saying "Mexico".)
and thus comes the stereotype, not everyon that speaks spanish is Méxican, he was from spain when he was little, and i doubt he haves ever set foot in México

racist kids these days *goes away mumbling to himself*

Hiphophippo said:

well, i see it as an unexpected turn of events, i mean, who would have thought that the guy that makes fake italian accent in english speaks spanish that well??

and LASTLY!!!

the translation on the first part!!! (to whoever is interested)

[Mario Voice] THANK YOU!
Well, my name is Charles Martinet, hello, I?m very happy to be here with you, and its an honor [in Mario voice while looking at the character] ?Its Mario Woo Hoo! See ya later? well, i´m Charles Martinet but here everybody will know me by [MV] ?Mario Woo hoo? or [in Wario Voice] ?Wario (lost in translation) PFFFFF eh hehehehehe!!? or maybe Luigi [in Luigi Voice] ?Ma?Ma?Ma?Ma?Mariooooo? or maybe [Waluigi Voice]?Waluigi(Lost in translation)? or baby Luigi too! Or [in Baby Mario Voice] ?Baby Mario, Lets go, Woo Hoo!!? well, all those are me.

Then he goes on and on about Spain and his life (kind of boring XD)

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
HentMas said:
and thus comes the stereotype, not everyon that speaks spanish is Mexican, he was from spain when he was little, and i doubt he haves ever set foot in Mexico
Fair criticism, and I accept that. I didn't intend it to sound that way (I know full well he's in Spain and Castilian vs. Mexican Spanish are quite different). I was trying to make a joke and didn't do a very good job of it. My apologies.