EA "Doubles Down" on Activision and Disney

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA "Doubles Down" on Activision and Disney

Disney Interactive [http://www.ea.com], setting a new world speed record for gorfing an entire Kentucky Fried Chicken Double-Down Sandwich.

You should all know by now about the infamous Double Down [http://www.kfc.com/doubledown/] from KFC. It's two thick pieces of bacon and two melted slices of Monterey Jack and pepperjack cheese, all smothered in sauce and sandwiched between two pieces of the Colonel's famous deep-fried chicken. It's an appalling slab of grease, meat and awesomeness that I'm desperate to try, and it's also the latest battleground in the war between videogame titans Electronic Arts, Activision and Disney Interactive.

In April, a pair of Activision employees demonstrated that one of these greaseball monstrosities can be devoured in less than a minute, accomplishing the task in a hair under 58 seconds. The obligatory giggling video was destroying the record [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlM2cvZNdAE], packing one away in less than 36 seconds. During that session, someone in the background taunted, "Where you at, EA?" and the game was on.

EA replied to the challenge yesterday with a cafeteria session featuring several employees, one or two of whom looked none too pleased about it, feasting on a good ol' Double Down lunch. But this time around, it was also for a good cause thanks to EA artist Sam Breach, a self-proclaimed "food snob" who declared, perhaps a bit too hastily, that she'd never, ever eat a Double Down unless someone donated $500 to the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer [http://www.avonwalk.org/].

You can imagine what happened next. Pockets were dug into. 500 bucks was found. EA matched the donation and suddenly, it was lunch time! Poor Ms. Breach looked like she was about to eat a handful of worms but to her credit, she bravely dug in.

As for the record, EA came out just ahead of Activision in the first round but was unable to even approach the Disney monster who put one down, first bite to last swallow without even a drink, in 36 seconds. Jason Kim, who actually ate two of the things, then managed to cram an entire Double Down into his mouth in 26 seconds and thus declared victory. Not really a clean win, but good enough for the guys at EA. Catch the whole disgusting (and oh so delicious) show at the EA Underground [http://www.ea.com/blogs/ea-underground/ea-double-challenge].

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
hehe it's pretty funny to see these kinds of things between big competitors. Me and my friend actually went and tried one two days ago. They are alright i suppose, but it needs more sauce. And hell, a bun would be nice too.

Apr 28, 2008
I want to try one, but it looks like I'll get a heart attack after eating the thing.

Its survival food. Either you survive it, or you don't.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Lmao! Unusual but epic at same time.

Poor. Poor Sam lol. She really did ask for it for s challenge like that!

Great fun

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
The Double Down is no more unhealthy than a regular chicken sandwich. Actually less so if you go for a double chicken sandwich because it's the same amount of food less the bread.

I tried one. It was too hot when they gave it to me (ironically making it difficult to hold and eat) and I didn't really care for the sauce they put on it (cheese was tasty tho). I'd try it again under different circumstances.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I made a vow before I ate a Double Down: Only once. Never Again.

It tasted greasy and awesome, but I'm fully committed to that vow. I could sense that it was the epitome of edible premature death.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I think all company rivalries should be solved this way. I want to see Activision and EA go up against each other with the Wendy's Baconator next. Worse case scenario, everyone at Activision and EA die of heart failure.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Hmmm you know what I might just try one of those things.

BrB KFC.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Honestly it is only 690 calories, less than half the sandwiches at panera bread (Which I love)

So don't feel so bad after eating it.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Oh wow. That was really funny. Maybe a little immature, but funny and lighthearted, I guess. Seriously, if that thing does well enough, they might make a successor to that sandwich.

It's called the Triple By-Pass.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Blind Sight said:
I think all company rivalries should be solved this way. I want to see Activision and EA go up against each other with the Wendy's Baconator next. Worse case scenario, everyone at Activision and EA die of heart failure.
The Escapist would die without BioWare.

I do agree. All company rivalries should be handled with food eating contests.
Apple vs. Microsoft via Windows 7 Burger anyone?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
JEBWrench said:
Blind Sight said:
The Escapist would die without BioWare.
Bioware's Canadian, our years of poutine eating make us develop a natural immunity to large amounts of grease or heart-stopping cholesterol.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Don't like KFC, and not a fan of deep fried grease, but I REALLY want to try one of those. Avaliable in england?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
"Okay, we need to beat Disney and Activison at Something..."

"I wonder if we can eat a sandwich faster?"

"My god He's got it!"

"Huh, What? I was just thinking out loud!"

"I smell a promotion!"

"WHY DO I WORK FOR YOU GUYS?"

Calumon: Most upsetting promotion ever, as although you got it for thinking out loud, you then realize that you work for very, very silly people.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Silly but fun, it kinda reminds me of the Infamous x Prototype picture contest on ZP.
The world needs a bit more silliness.