Dragon Quest IX Bringing JRPGs Back Outside of Japan

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dragon Quest IX Bringing JRPGs Back Outside of Japan

Dragon Quest IX's release dates in the U.S. and Europe have been confirmed, so all that's left now is to wait for the JRPG goodness.

Nintendo and Square Enix have set official release dates for the Nintendo DS's Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77241] in both the U.S. and Europe. The game will be released in the U.S. on July 11, while Europe will see it on July 23.

The companies are hoping the game will light the two markets on fire just as it did in Japan, selling over 2 million copies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93107-Dragon-Quest-IX-Sells-2-3-Million-in-Two-Days] in two days. Dragon Quest is an insanely popular RPG series in Japan, but hasn't had even close to the same measure of success anywhere else.

The problem with drawing in non-Japanese consumers could be related to Dragon Quest's simple visuals, especially when compared with the more recent Final Fantasy titles which are very popular in the U.S. and Europe. Dragon Quest IX stays the course in regards to graphics and general style, but adds a notable multiplayer mode and gives players the ability to create their own characters.

Rather than being stuck with one type of character for the entire game, Dragon Quest IX allows anytime class changes and provides more than 1,000 different pieces of armor and weaponry that will each alter a character's appearance. Four players can experience the game though a local wireless multiplayer mode, with an additional "Tag Mode" that will communicate with other DS systems running Dragon Quest IX while in sleep mode. Replay value is added through a quest system, with downloadable quests to be made available that may even continue the game's main storyline.

Nintendo has said it wanted to give a big push to Dragon Quest IX outside of Japan, but I personally haven't really seen this yet. Now that the game has a confirmed release date, maybe we'll be inundated with Dragon Quest IX everywhere we look in the coming month-and-a-half.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Well that's good to see. Unlike what Bioware may have said, that looks like an RPG.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Looking forward to this, if it is as good as DQ8 was it would be the best, but best not getting high hopes.

Epigone

Nov 21, 2009
Dragon Quest = Favorite RPG series

Dragon Quest III (For GameBoy) = Favorite Dragon Quest (That game was just so massive.)

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Well that's good to see. Unlike what Bioware may have said, that looks like an RPG.
Very much so. I'm still in shock that Bioware were so fucking arrogant to say that, though.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
sweet, I was hoping that would be released in English.

I like DQ games a lot for the reason that they are more "traditional" RPGs. Or as I like to call them pre-FFVII RPGs. While most other RPGs from japan fallowed in FFVII footsteps in the Style and presentation model over traditional gameplay, DQ kept it old school (even if it took them forever to release DQVII). Nostalgia? Maybe, but whatever the reason I'm happy to see more old school RPGs.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Well, this is another reason for me to get a DS... though admittedly I have only play Dragon Warrior Monsters and 8 on the PS2.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Epigone said:

Dragon Quest III (For GameBoy) = Favorite Dragon Quest (That game was just so massive.)
Jester teams, ftw!

That release date is closer than I dreamed.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I've never had much of an interest in Dragon Quest games, but IX's equipment screen really appeals to me. I think I'll get this.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Jaranja said:
Very much so. I'm still in shock that Bioware were so fucking arrogant to say that, though.
I think they meant FF13, which doesn't really look much like an RPG at all. I do see your point though, I think they're ego is getting a little big.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Jaranja said:
I think they meant FF13, which doesn't really look much like an RPG at all. I do see your point though, I think they're ego is getting a little big.
Definitely. Fair enough, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate 1 and Baldur's Gate 2 were all amazing but seriously; that's no excuse to call out games of other genres in order to feed a company-wide god complex.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
Oh hells to the yeah. I've been waiting for this.
Crap, I still gotta finish DQ8.
Well, atleast the DQ series isn't canon with each other. Eitherway, finally.

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
I never finished DQ8 because I had a fat PS2 that wound up breaking on me right around the time I finished the part with the depressed king or whatever. I'll definitely be picking this up.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
s69-5 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Epigone said:

Jester teams, ftw!

That release date is closer than I dreamed.
I wonder if they'll hold special polls and contests like they did in Japan. They gave special items to participants (my wife was in on those -- what with having the game since last August).

I remember one in particular where if they got 1,000,000 respondents, they'd give some cool item to everyone. Not sure what the result was though.

She's since moved on to DQVI on her DS. And some spin-ff where you control a DQ slime in a 3/4 overview action/platformer game. It also features tank battles (!?) Not sure what the name is though as I can't read Japanese...
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime?

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
I'll be honest, not that big on the Dragon Quest series. Tried Dragon Quest 4 and while the story, characters... well, heck, everything about it was fairly interesting. But dear god it must have been the grindiest RPG I've ever played. Kinda turned me off to the series a bit, though I still find myself tempted everytime I see one of the DS games. Even find myself debating rebuying DQ4 every now and then...

DQ9, though, looks interesting. I'm definitely going to pick this game up and give it a try.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Rodger said:
I'll be honest, not that big on the Dragon Quest series. Tried Dragon Quest 4 and while the story, characters... well, heck, everything about it was fairly interesting. But dear god it must have been the grindiest RPG I've ever played. Kinda turned me off to the series a bit, though I still find myself tempted everytime I see one of the DS games. Even find myself debating rebuying DQ4 every now and then...
You younguns don't know what grinding is until you've played Phantasy Star 2.