Google Celebrates Pac-Man's 30th With Playable Logo

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the release of the original Pac-Man in Japan, and Google's logo has come down with a bad case of Pac-Man Fever.

The lovable yellow puck that was one of gaming's first recognizable "characters" turns thirty today, and Google is getting in on the celebration ... by changing its logo [http://www.google.com/].

Now, I know what you're going to say: "But John, Google changes its logo to celebrate all the time!" That's absolutely true, and Google calls them "doodles" [http://www.google.com/logos/]. This doodle, however, is different, because it's playable.

Yes, Google has created an entire 255-level clone of Pac-Man, complete with ghosts, power pellets, an "Insert Coin" button, and even a Level 256 "kill screen." This playable logo was created by Google's senior user experience designer Marcin Wichary, who first saw Pac-Man at the age of 5 while traveling with his father, whose job it was to repair arcade machines.

Guys, this thing is too awesome for words. Just be careful, or else you might spend all afternoon playing this damn thing.

(Joystiq [http://www.google.com/])

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
click two time on insert coins for two player action !

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ive found this jsut a few mins ago and I am already subvertly playing games at work! hehe

Its epic

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
the only thing is that putting this online a friday, is not good for the world productivity

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
They've made 255 (/256) levels!? I understand the reasoning behind this but damn, I doubt anyone would bother going that far

Ringwraith

Absolutely Useless
Jan 15, 2009
Really is an excellent change from the norm.

Really very clever.

Probably won't play it much, never got with it.

sougo13

Sep 11, 2009
John Funk said:

Guys, this thing is too awesome for words. Just be careful, or else you might spend all afternoon playing this damn thing.

Too late for that...

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wow, that is so cool!

Iv gotta show my mom this, Pac-Man was one of the games she grew up with.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I'm just upset that they don't change the level layout at all. Other than that, though, this is awesome.

Apr 28, 2008
I'd have messaged a newsperson about this, but I already posted it in the Escapist Presents thread, and I was too busy, um... making sure the game works... for 30 minutes...

the_tramp said:
They've made 255 (/256) levels!? I understand the reasoning behind this but damn, I doubt anyone would bother going that far
Never underestimate the lengths people are willing to go to for recognition.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Yeah, the whole "playable logo" thing is nice and all, but for some reason, even after changing my home page from Google and everything, I can't load up Firefox to browse the internet without hearing the damn sound effects from Pac-Man in the background all the time, and it's starting to piss me off.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
hehehe, put something boring in the search bar, play a bit of pac-man, hit enter at the first sign of danger...

Yep, whole afternoon is now gone.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
the_tramp said:
Does the last level look like this?