Question of the Day, May 25, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, May 25, 2010

Despite the bright colors, upbeat music and cheerful characters, Shigeru Miyamoto claims that the Mario series is not a game for children. He states that there is a difference between a game being "childish" and "for children." Do you agree?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It's not for children. Mario games can be hard at times. Sure, they used to be hard, too. But these days, games meant "for children" are pathetically easy. It's for everyone. Little kids can have fun just jumping around the levels that they CAN beat.

That said, I hate pretty much all Mario games, except the RPGs, and those are wearing on me quickly, too.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Most children I know would call the game kiddy and walk away in favor of playing Halo 3 and CoD.

It's mostly adults I know that play the Mario titles.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
The way I see it, it's a children's game that's fun for adults as well.

Kinda like how some cartoons are made for children but are just as much fun for adults.

So yeah, I guess I agree with Shiggy in that it's a game "for children", but it's not "childish".

EDIT: It's been pointed out to me that what I posted here wasn't exactly what Miyamoto meant. Re-reading the article, I realize I've read too much of my own opinion into the article rather than just looking at what it actually said. Still, I stand by my opinion.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
As with most of the above comments, I absolutist do not think that Mario is a children's game. I believe it is a game that any age group can enjoy, even though the smaller ones may have trouble with some parts (GOD DAMN BOWSERS FLYING CLOWN FACE HELICOPTER O' DEATH!)

(Temp Sig!)

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I clicked yes, but my actual answer was more of a 'yes and no' answer.

There are certainly child-friendly elements, but it is as some have no doubt said before a game for all ages.

Everyone from your baby siblings to your grandparents can play and love a Mario game.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
It's just a game where kids can play too, not just a kids game like say... Bob the Builder.

Calumon: I just found that in the PS3! ^^ Jack still plays it...

[sup]It was for Nostalgia...[/sup]

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Yes, it's a children's game though not by any means exclusively. Many people would consider Pixar movies to be aimed at children but they generally appeal to both the young and old equally.

Thurmer

Jul 15, 2009
imho thats like saying tennis is a kids game because its appropriate for them to play and not violent

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
Mario is a childs game, but that doesn't mean you have to be a child to appreciate it. Doesn't makie it any less fun either.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
On the fence. The Lost Levels in Super Mario Bros Deluxe were tough.
On the other hand, every Bowser is insultingly easy.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Pixar makes movies that can be enjoyed by anyone of any age. They still make movies for children.

Yes I believe that Mario is a children's game. Does that make it any less enjoyable for all ages? Fuck no! It's an awesome game. I'm 19. Last night I picked up a nerf gun and began blasting away at my brother and sister (9 and 12 respectively). Was it a childish thing to do? Probably. Was it a load of fun? Definitely.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Just because it lacks excessive violence and adult themes doesn't mean that it's a children's game. Child-friendly, yes, but not especially aimed at them. Miyamoto is bang on the money.