GameStop Test Drives PowerUp Rewards Program

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
GameStop Test Drives PowerUp Rewards Program

GameStop's long anticipated rewards program has gone into beta testing with official details now available.

With online retailers and digital distribution cutting into GameStop's slice of the videogame sales pie, the chain may be looking at new methods to retain loyalty. GameStop is now testing a program called PowerUp Rewards which will give gamers more reason to put up with store employees hassling them about reserving games that don't come out for six months.

Unlike GameStop's Edge Card, which comes with a Game Informer subscription and gets customers 10% off used purchases and 10% extra on trade-ins for $14.99, the PowerUp Card is as free as a piece of advice from that crazy homeless guy on the corner. For every dollar spent on new items, members earn 10 points. For used, 20 points. Trading-in old junk that also earns 20 points per dollar.

The Edge Card will still do what it used to do, but also increases points earned by 10% and provides a few other bonuses. PowerUp points can be spent on a ton of stuff including GameStop gift cards, GameStop merchandise, restaurant or movie bonuses, iTunes gift cards, Netflix or Xbox Live subscriptions, PS3/360/Wii points cards, and even in-game exclusive items such as multiplayer character Shockwave in the upcoming Transformers: War for Cybertron [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76726].

Further, GameStop will be awarding the program's members with "Epic Reward" contest entries for each purchase. The first of these contests will be for a trip to the San Diego Comic Con, $500 in spending money, special Capcom team member passes, a custom Dead Rising 2 [http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=street%20fighter] props." Pictures with props folks! I'm not on GameStop's payroll or anything, but that trip sounds fun, especially when rewarded with it just for buying games.

More details are available at the Kotaku [http://poweruprewards.com/Home/Index] that it's only being tested in Ohio, Tennessee, and Missouri at this time, but is expected to go everywhere else soon.

GameStop brass has admitted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100549-GameStop-Admits-Fear-of-Digital-Distribution] that it could be powerless to stop digital sales from destroying the profits of its physical stores, but rewards programs that are absolutely free could help stem the tide. If PowerUp works out, I would expect most other retailers to mimic it somehow and compete to give videogame consumers rewards. How awesome would that be? Whether you hate GameStop or love GameStop, you can't dislike it for giving away free stuff, even if it is for the evil goal of earning profit to remain in business.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I've little problem with the company to begin with, but perhaps I'm biased because my oldest friend of 25+ years is the general manager at my local one.

Sounds like a neat idea. I'll give it a shot when it rolls out where I live.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
That would definitely get me in the store since I loves me some used games and I especially love getting rewarded for buying stuff I'd buy anyways. Now if only I could increase my game buying from about 2-3 games a year. Damn job and sleep!

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
They came kind of late to this idea didn't they? HMV in the UK have been doing something very similar for over a year. They have some awesome offers too, signed guitars and stuff, even game studio tours.

spartan773

Nov 18, 2009
god. what's with the gamestop hate? mine in my local mall is practically perfect. they only ASK if you have any games you're looking forward to to reserve.

DynamicPenguin

Mar 11, 2009
Why is it every time there is an article about GameStop on this site the writter takes a shot at the employee's ... Seriously I work at an EB Games and they make us out to be the scum of the earth in these things.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
This sounds intriguing...

I already have nothing against Gamestop, but this makes me even less likely to end up hating them.
Pat728 said:
I don't see how their newest scam makes them less evil.
Out of honest curiosity, how is a Free Card that gets you free crap for buying things you'd buy anyways a Scam?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
spartan773 said:
god. what's with the gamestop hate? mine in my local mall is practically perfect. they only ASK if you have any games you're looking forward to to reserve.
Yeah thats not the case for the majority of people.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
DynamicPenguin said:
Why is it every time there is an article about GameStop on this site the writter takes a shot at the employee's ... Seriously I work at an EB Games and they make us out to be the scum of the earth in these things.
It's all in good fun. Don't forget, just about every person that writes about games has probably worked at a game store at some point :)

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
I dont like going to gamestop anymore. Theyre usually not helpful and I have to explain myself when I pay extra for a new game when I couldve got the same used. I knows its their job to sell used games but the fact he couldnt comprehend why id want to make sure devs get a little bit of the money means more than saving 5 pounds.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
DynamicPenguin said:
It's all in good fun. Don't forget, just about every person that writes about games has probably worked at a game store at some point :)
As the old saying goes, "If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?"
I work at Gamestop myself and I can admit the hassling gets annoying; I don't like it myself. But, it's my job, I like my job, so I do it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
What happens if the secret corperate masters behind both the brick and mortar stores and digital sales and such finally have enough of each other, and decide to resolve things the old fashioned way: with private armies, guns, and bombs.

Oh sure, today it's just the PowerUp card being tested, but I tell you that movie "Demolition Man" was prophetic when it talked about "The Fast Food Wars" and how "now all resteraunts are Taco Bell". The writers obviously were too terrified of talking about the gamer wars that happened around the same time...

Trust me, this is the first step, you should start getting a bunker ready now. When STEAM infects Gamestop with killer hard energy constructs leaping through their electrical sockets the slay the employees, and gamstop strikes back with orbital lasers, lethal mind-destroying sentinent meme viruses through the network, and adaptive flesh eating bacteria warheads aimed at Valve HQ, the casualties among innocent gamers caught in the crossfire are going to be epic.

-

Sorry, slightly silly mood (or a clairvoyant vision)

This promotion seems neat, but I'm not going to get all excited until I see how far a "point" actually goes. While similar programs at Waldenbooks and the like used to be quite cool, as time went on they became quite toothless. I still remember when I basically got %10 off my books and a $5 gift card for every $100 spent. Nowadays such memberships mostly seem good for getting your personal information so they can spam you.

asleep at the comp

Jun 26, 2008
yay i cant wait for this also at both gamestops in my town they seem to know what their doing and they never really ask if i want to reserve anything but thats probably my listening habits

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Therumancer said:
What happens if the secret corperate masters behind both the brick and mortar stores and digital sales and such finally have enough of each other, and decide to resolve things the old fashioned way: with private armies, guns, and bombs.

Oh sure, today it's just the PowerUp card being tested, but I tell you that movie "Demolition Man" was prophetic when it talked about "The Fast Food Wars" and how "now all resteraunts are Taco Bell". The writers obviously were too terrified of talking about the gamer wars that happened around the same time...

Trust me, this is the first step, you should start getting a bunker ready now. When STEAM infects Gamestop with killer hard energy constructs leaping through their electrical sockets the slay the employees, and gamstop strikes back with orbital lasers, lethal mind-destroying sentinent meme viruses through the network, and adaptive flesh eating bacteria warheads aimed at Valve HQ, the casualties among innocent gamers caught in the crossfire are going to be epic.
You know too much. Executing command protocol 462.1... >.>

So seriously, Gamestop is incentivising in order to keep customers. Seems like a good thing.