Editor's Note: Anatomy of a Game Design

Jan 23, 2009
Conflict is one of the oldest devices of storytelling.

I believe that the "dilemma" is the constant, not conflict. Without a "dilemma" we just end up with modern art. =P

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
Conflict doesn't necessarily have to be the thrive for a game. Some games are just based on exploring (and cultivating) your environment and maybe ask yourself why you are there or something is there and experiment with it. So exploration and curiosity can make a game strong as well.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Can you do something tech-related for your 256[sup]th[/sup] issue? Pleeeeeeaaase?

(For those who don't understand, 256 is 2[sup]8[/sup], and a very important number in computer science).

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Great topic, Russ! We spend so much time talking about games, yet we often don't stop to think what makes one game better than another or how one goes about designing a game that people will enjoy. Perhaps most importantly, we rely so much on the tropes and genres that we are used to that we forget that games are about more than just shooting, racing, and sliding puzzle pieces. There are so many ways to build that conflict beyond the models we are used to and each holds an exciting opportunity for new and interesting games.

By the way, may I suggest asking Raph Koster to contribute an article for this series? I'm a huge fan of his book "A Theory Of Fun for Game Design" and I bet he would me more than happy to speak to such an interested audience.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Tharwen said:
Can you do something tech-related for your 256[sup]th[/sup] issue? Pleeeeeeaaase?

(For those who don't understand, 256 is 2[sup]8[/sup], and a very important number in computer science).
Perhaps start again at issue #1? :p

Or they could even do an 8-bit version of the website. That would be awesome!