Sony: Consumers Prefer Discs Over Digital

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony: Consumers Prefer Discs Over Digital

Digital distribution is big business but Sony [http://www.sony.com] says most gamers still want disc-based content and as long as that's the case, it'll do what it can to ensure people can choose between the two.

Anyone who doubts the viability of digital distribution needs only to look at services ranging from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe [http://store.steampowered.com/] boss Andrew House, and as long as that remains the case, Sony will do what it can to make sure they get it that way.

"At the moment, disc-based content is still very much what the consumer is used to and wants," House said. "However, there has been a change in attitude and technology that is making digital delivery far more feasible and far more attractive. It is our job to ensure that consumers have the choice between the two where possible."

"How this area will evolve, I can't really say at this time, as we are relying on many things outside of our control, such as broadband speeds," he continued. "Things are changing quickly and we have to make sure we are ready for those changes."

House's comments echo those of Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter, who said last week that there's "no chance in hell" of the videogame industry switching to digital exclusivity anytime soon.

"With PCs you probably have around 95 percent of them connected to the internet. But with the Xbox 360 it's probably two thirds, the PS3 it might be as high as 85 percent and the Wii, my guess, is below 50 but probably closer to 35 percent," he said. "So it's all the guys who are not connected, the 35 percent of Xbox 360 owners and the 65 percent of Wii owners, that are going to keep games from being made mandated downloadable. If you mandate that, you are going to eliminate all the customers that aren't connected to the internet."

I'm not a fan of digital distribution myself, not because I lack an internet connection but because I appreciate the artistry of game packaging, and because I like having some tangible evidence of ownership, too. Sometimes I like to think of myself as something like a die-hard vinyl aficionado in the era of digital music, but truthfully, I'm probably a lot closer to being just a guy with a whole pile of 8-tracks in his closet.

Sources: VG247 [http://uk.playstation.com/home/news/articles/detail/item281357/The-People-vs-Andrew-House/]

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
In other words "The PSP Go was a bigger flop than an Uwe Boll movie at Cannes, so here's more disc based games and let us never mention that thing again."

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
RowdyRodimus said:
In other words "The PSP Go was a bigger flop than an Uwe Boll movie at Cannes, so here's more disc based games and let us never mention that thing again."
well they said they want to have with both ways, the PSP and PSP Go makes both ways.

Neikun

May 11, 2010
Absolutely, as a PS3 owner, I love the discs. I love boxes and box art. The whole package is all very important to me.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
The advantage a disc has to me is I can sell it to someone else when I'm done playing. Which brings up an interesting topic.... when I go to sell my Wii or PS3... do I factor in what games and movies are on the console to determine its value?

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Well that's good. I HATE digital distribution so much. If I'm paying 70$ for a game I want a physical copy and not a download.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Damn right I want disc based content. I dont have the luxury of unlimited internet of anything near that. Thank you sony for seeing this. Now please do something about it instead of just talking

Kirosilence

Nov 28, 2007
Steam, xBox live Arcade, and PSN, are the biggest weapon agianst my wallet ever. So simple to just blow $120 non nifty games, thank god Steam has wicked sales.

Digital is the way of the future, Sony once again stepped way to far ahead of it's time with the PSP go though, handhelds are definatly not there yet. On consoles and PCs on the other hand, I think that full digital with the option of disk media is great!

Digital and I have a love-hate relationship. I love to buy games, but I hate how easy it is to overspend with these systems.

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
There's something about a physical item that says "Ownership", something a digital download doesn't have (Hey! I can use this thing until my next hardware failure, all right!)

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Go Sony! It's like they read all the comments on the last article. Digital sucks. It's just one more person who can sell your credit card information to korean gangsters and sell your purchase preferences to advertisers. I'll never stop going to Best Buy or wherever and buying a real disc. I wouldn't even use steam if I'd known L4D used it. We're on a path to a time when the consumer has no control anymore. We used to own our copy, have it forever. now we need to go through a 3rd party who can decide at any time to say "F you" and cut everything. And We've gained nothing.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
They pegged me right on. I much prefer to have a disc than download something.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I like having a physical copy of my game (that way if something fails, my game isn't completely gone). but if I have to, then I'll use digital distribution.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
sony is just mad that the psp go wasnt received well but in reality it had less to do with digital distribution and more to do with not being able to play old umd games and storage issues after all a person can fill 32g in no time.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Count me among the scores of people who would rather have a disc or cartridge. Also, screw that there's always only one store you can buy stuff from. You have so many options for buying a disc in terms of stores and what deals they might have... For a digital game, I can go to the Playstation Store and pay the price Sony wants me to pay for it, or I can not buy the game at all. Boo!

But hey, at least Sony (and Microsoft too) aren't as bad as Nintendo! "What's that, you got a new console for any reason whatsoever? Buy all your digital games again, because even we can't transfer them over to a new device for you."

Apr 28, 2008
GIVE ME DISKS! OR GIVE ME DEATH!

Ok that was a bit too dramatic...

But yeah, I love my disks. Plus, nothing, nothing beats that new game smell.
I know I'm not alone when I open up my new game, and take a great big whiff of it.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Absoloutely agree with this 100% - there's something very satisfying in owning a physical copy of any type of media, be it a video game, a CD, or a DVD. I often find that if I really love a certain game or CD, I'll actively go and look for it with the intention of buying it. Having a physical copy feels far more authentic, at least in my opinion.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Well.. it's nice to see Sony admit this...

Quick question;

Does this mean we'll finally see Dragon Age Origins: Awakening released on disc in the UK rather than as a £32 DLC title? Nope, didn't think so.

Guess a leopard can't always change its spots.