Play PopCap Games, Be Smarter

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Play PopCap Games, Be Smarter

A new study conducted by East Carolina University shows that playing Bejeweled may just make you smarter.

Researchers monitored the brainwaves of 40 participants as they played Peggle. [http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bejeweled-2/id284832142?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2] Subjects who played 30 minutes of Bejeweled showed an 87 percent improvement in their cognitive response and a 215 percent improvement in executive functioning. I don't know what either of those mean, but they sure do sound fancy and vaguely brain-related, so let's just put it simply: PopCap makes games that make your brain do gooder.

"The initial results of the study are very intriguing, in that they suggest that the 'active participation' required while playing a casual videogame like Bejeweled provides an opportunity for mental exercise that more passive activities, like watching television, do not," said Dr. Carmen Russoniello, Director of the Psychophysiology Lab and Biofeedback Clinic at ECU. "Future applications could include prescriptive applications using casual videogames to potentially stave off Alzheimer's disease and other dementia-type disorders."

Earlier this year in April, researchers at Cambridge announced that brain training games absolutely do not make people smarter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100156-Brain-Training-Games-Dont-Work]. Comparatively, it seems that the Cambridge study may be more robust. The Cambridge study compared 11,000 people over a period of six weeks; those who played games, and those who just browsed the internet. The researchers did not find any comparable difference between the two groups in brain improvement.

Granted, this study is just in its preliminary stages and the control and test groups will likely expand, but it still may be too early to declare a decisive win in favor of videogames.

Still ... take that, Cambridge.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/casual-games-improve-cognitive-function-finds-study/]

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Surrreee.... *Cough*bullshit*cough*

Almost every Popcap game ive played ends up boils down to luck.

You get more point playing Bejeweled clciking the screen randomly than you do thinking about your moves.

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
So, thinking actively is better than mindlessly absorbing information?
What else is new?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Could actually believe it. As alotnof the games are puzzles. So you do need to think

Feb 13, 2008
Problem is: The ECU survey takes place immediately afterwards, the Cambridge study shows after time - so both could be right in that the game raises your intellectual prowess to cope with it, but it still drops off to average afterwards.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
YES! Now I can say that playing Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook isn't a complete time sink for me.

This is a small reward for selling my soul to PopCap, methinks.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Bejeweled, on my cell phone, is my favorite...err..... on the toilet past time. Great to know that I'm getting smarter while I'm getting lighter!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
If crosswords increase your brain capacity, so do simple logic games. Although comparing it to televison is like comparing walking home and being carried home in a carriage made of Cheetos.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The DSM said:
Surrreee.... *Cough*bullshit*cough*

Almost every Popcap game ive played ends up boils down to luck.

You get more point playing Bejeweled clciking the screen randomly than you do thinking about your moves.
Plants vs. Zombies?

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
Scott already explained this: with his "Real Gamers" comic WHICH I CANNOT FIND for some reason

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
This is also why I can never go to sleep right after playing most games.
There are exceptions of course...but engaging the brain just before bedtime sucks; the body might be tired but the brain wants to keep going.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Cambridge or ECU? And I live in NC so I would know what kind of people go to ECU.

That's a typical morning for an ECU student. What im trying to say is I can't really believe doing something that requires basic brain function makes you smarter. It just aint that nice in the real world.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
The DSM said:
You get more point playing Bejeweled clicking the screen randomly than you do thinking about your moves.
Actually it encourages increased perception and information processing. The faster the player links the better the bonus, up until they are rewarded with "Amazing Speed" mode in which everything starts exploding.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Well sure, the game improves cognitive functioning while you're playing the game, since your brain would obviously be working at solving the puzzles. But does it actually last? I have a feeling that it totally does not. I'm gonna have to stick with Cambridge on this one.