The Story Snob

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
The Story Snob

You don't have to put a story in your game, but if you do, try to make it not suck.

Read Full Article

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Totally nailed me on the Sonic Unleashed trick, you jerk. Also, yes, yes a thousand times yes. I want to wrap this column around me like a warm, safe, blanket and tell myself everything will be ok.

Hey game developers, when it comes to story less is always more! Portal, Shadow of the Colossus, Fighting Games, etc.

If that seems like a cop out to you, then don't try to build a fifty hour story, build a world that will sustain 50 hours worth of player-built narratives.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Crunchy English said:
[...]then don't try to build a fifty hour story, build a world that will sustain 50 hours worth of player-built narratives.
Really good way of putting it. Wish I'd put that in the column.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
... and see that every moment fulfills a purpose and adds to the whole. Everything that is said or shown is there to introduce the world, set the mood, establish the personalities of the characters
This is why i thought Avatar was good.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Crunchy English said:
[...]then don't try to build a fifty hour story, build a world that will sustain 50 hours worth of player-built narratives.
This is true, and where the world of FF13 went wrong in my opinion.

I love story, and narrative, but worlds never seem to be able to sustain them long enough

LazerFX

Driver
Sep 10, 2008
Crunchy English said:
Totally nailed me on the Sonic Unleashed trick, you jerk. Also, yes, yes a thousand times yes. I want to wrap this column around me like a warm, safe, blanket and tell myself everything will be ok.

Hey game developers, when it comes to story less is always more! Portal, Shadow of the Colossus, Fighting Games, etc.

If that seems like a cop out to you, then don't try to build a fifty hour story, build a world that will sustain 50 hours worth of player-built narratives.
Now that just nails it... you do need an overarching narrative, but the experiences need to be there; the world needs to create the story almost genetically, it's got to have the story baked into it (Sort of like the Portal laboratory - you go through that, and with the limited exposition, and the screens and notes and things you read / look at, you learn the story).

It's consistency, and self-referential consistency at that. If you go to point A, and learn Interesting Fact (IF) X, then go to point B, and learn IF Y, IF X and IF Y should make sense when viewed together...

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
This article pretty much sums up the reason why I have built a shrine to BioWare in my stationary cupboard.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Crunchy English said:
Different Strokes for Different Folks I guess. As a lifelong writer and roleplayer I really dislike this intense focus on "nonexistant" narrative in games, that somehow a story "invented" by the player and not present in the game is better than one put forward. If I wanted to create my own story, I could write one myself and if I wanted to create a story with other people I could play a pen and paper game.

Sorry folks, "Player Driven Narrative" as shown in games where there is basically no story is a cop out. This isn't a ringing endorsement of cutscene heavy storytelling either mind you, I just demand dialogue, interaction and plot, not silence and minimalism that barely soaks through the scenery.

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
WTF SONIC UNLEASEHEDED!?!!??!!

Lol, no I did read it. :p

Jaredin said:
Shamus Young said:
Crunchy English said:
This is true, and where the world of FF13 went wrong in my opinion.

I love story, and narrative, but worlds never seem to be able to sustain them long enough
Im so much of a sucker for story I still wanna buy FF13 (Played first few hours on a mates copy) and skies of arcadia? :D

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
See, this has always been my opinion about stories and video games. I only think a story can really be considered detrimental to the experience when it is constantly being shoved in your face.

I know mentioned Epic as being guilty of producing games where this is an issue, but I would disagree, at least for the first Gears of War. The story was very basic and fairly dumb, with none of the characters being particularly likable and a number of stupid moments. However, to me this was never an issue because the story just felt like a way to move you from various locals and engage in more gunfights. They never had a long, lengthy cutscenes which unloaded tons of exposition onto the player. Whenever they did yank control away from you, it was just to explain why you were going to another area and what your goal was. So while the story was bad, it didn't ruin the game since it didn't keep me away from the game play.

Compare this to Tales of Symphonia. I complain about this game having a horribly dumb story a lot, but that's only because it really does become detrimental to my ability to enjoy the game. While I think the game play is great, the fact that I have to keep sitting through long cutscenes and listening to exposition I don't give a damn about irritates me. If the cut scenes were short and got straight to the point, it wouldn't be so bad. That's the advantage that Gears of War has over Tales of Symphonia. Both have bad characters and dumb plots, but one of them has enough sense to keep it tucked away most of the time and let you enjoy the actual game rather than make you slog through painful dialogue.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Good God man, no mention of Mafia in an article about storytelling in games?!

Anyway, a great read - one that reflects my views exactly.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Crunchy English said:
Different Strokes for Different Folks I guess. As a lifelong writer and roleplayer I really dislike this intense focus on "nonexistant" narrative in games, that somehow a story "invented" by the player and not present in the game is better than one put forward. If I wanted to create my own story, I could write one myself and if I wanted to create a story with other people I could play a pen and paper game.

Sorry folks, "Player Driven Narrative" as shown in games where there is basically no story is a cop out. This isn't a ringing endorsement of cutscene heavy storytelling either mind you, I just demand dialogue, interaction and plot, not silence and minimalism that barely soaks through the scenery.
I'm having a hard time discerning what kind of story telling you actually like. Just to clarify, what methods tell a decent story in your opinion? Legend of Zelda's cutscenes at regular intervals maybe? or do you prefer the on-the-fly dialogue of say, Uncharted 2?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Crunchy English said:
I'm having a hard time discerning what kind of story telling you actually like. Just to clarify, what methods tell a decent story in your opinion? Legend of Zelda's cutscenes at regular intervals maybe? or do you prefer the on-the-fly dialogue of say, Uncharted 2?
Either or really, my dislike comes in the form of people feeling that Portal, Half-Life and Left 4 Dead tell "TEH BEST STORAIZ EVAR!" considering they barely have characters, barely have dialogue and barely have plots. What they have is good storytelling, not good stories in and of themselves. I guess it's a "Just because a game doesn't have cutscenes doesn't mean it's brilliant" gut reaction.

Even then I suppose this was a mostly a misdirected rant at Multiplayer Storytelling.

Apr 28, 2008
Games don't need a story to be good. See Unreal Tournament 2004.
But when you try to shoe-horn a story on a well built multiplayer franchise (I know it started with Unreal, and was a story-based game, but I'm ignoring that), like they did with Unreal Tournament 3, then things just get stupid. For example, they tried to use flags- no, wait, F.l.A.G.s. to explain respawning. In the story you had to capture 3 flags to stop their respawners and- well the whole thing is just silly.

If your going to put a story in, make sure its good, and not a pain. Otherwise just don't bother.

And nice job with that Sonic Unleashed thing. I laughed.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
Forgot to mention Grand Theft Auto IV.

The reason the story is so good here is because it flows so well with the game play. For example, I decided to play in such a way that I could complete all the side missions without finishing the main quest line... but no matter how you play, the main story catches up with you in surprising ways.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
First off I think 2 hours of car chaces, explosions, gunfights and sword fights with no sembalance of plot would be awsome. Other than that I agree with the article. Shoe horning a story into a game because "no game is complete without a story," is a bad idea. Some of my favorite games don't have any thing resembeling a traditional story in them. Civilization 3 and Mount & Blade being examples. Perhaps I am drawing a different conclusion from this article than the author, but there are many games today that could be greatly improoved by stripping out of all story element.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Darktau said:
WTF SONIC UNLEASEHEDED!?!!??!!

Lol, no I did read it. :p
Curse you! You beat me to the punch!

Relevant to the topic at hand, I share Mr. Young's opinion on this matter. So much so, that I have nothing whatever to add to it. It makes me feel like I haven't accomplished anything. Thanks a lot. Also, I approve of the taunting. It's awesome.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Crunchy English said:
Either or really, my dislike comes in the form of people feeling that Portal, Half-Life and Left 4 Dead tell "TEH BEST STORAIZ EVAR!" considering they barely have characters, barely have dialogue and barely have plots. What they have is good storytelling, not good stories in and of themselves. I guess it's a "Just because a game doesn't have cutscenes doesn't mean it's brilliant" gut reaction.

Even then I suppose this was a mostly a misdirected rant at Multiplayer Storytelling.
I won't argue Half-Life or Portal (since I think Half-Life had good storytelling for its' time, with 2 being rather bad and not having played Portal). But Left 4 Dead has a totally different idea of storytelling I think. The idea is not that we are to follow the outbreak or get to see how it is handled or anything. The idea is that the players build their own Survival Horror story throughout the episodes being played.
When you play a game like Jade Empire you are supposed to say things like "And I totally did not see the plot twist coming! It was awesome!". When you play Left 4 Dead the idea is that you are supposed to say "And then he went down just as a wave spawned and we were three people with only handguns who had to protect the guy who was on the ground in the middle of the room! It was F-ING EPIC!"

In roleplaying terms (since I am a game master myself) it is the difference between White Wolfs Storytelling system and its' heavy focus on narrative and Dungeon crawling in a classical D&D session. One is all about telling an engaging story, the other is all about making a memorable experience.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
wow you totally got me with the Sonic unleashed thing. I was totally gonna come in here and ask WTF, but i have the decency to read all the way through.

Anyway story belongs in games at different levels. A 40 hour RPG i want to have alot of story tellingme why i'm still playing at hour 28. Shooters i don't need story at all. I've always hated halo for a number of reasons but #2 is because to get to the shooty shooty i have to sit through several minutes of terrible story flat characters and sci-fi BS to get to it. I want to kill aleins is that so hard? CoD is actually pretty good about this (sometimes) but i may have a higher tolerance for it because history (and warfare in general) appeal to me.

best story in a shooter i've seen; Team Fortress 2. I just bought like two weeks ago i've sunk about 28 hours and it's just now getting pretty good.

Best story i've seen in a game so far; Tiny Tank or Kingdom Hearts 2.