Question of the Day, May 30, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, May 30, 2010

There's been some debate over what makes a gamer "hardcore." Is it the kind of games you play? The time you spend playing games? Or is it some other criteria we haven't mentioned?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Urgh.
It's being a douche and calling yourself a hardcore gamer.

Doesn't matter what you play or how long you play for, if you call yourself a hardcore gamer you're a douche and nothing you say about games has any merit.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Most certainly the games you play. If it was determinded by the amount of time played. Then my Mother is the most hardcore woman on the planet (she loves Tetris).

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
other: owning my friends by just reading the booklet and them training for weeks.
(fighting games)

JRShield

Dec 9, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
Most certainly the games you play. If it was determinded by the amount of time played. Then my Mother is the most hardcore woman on the planet (she loves Tetris).
I'm afraid the correct answer is time. Why has the wii no hardcore gamers? Because no one can play that thing for more then an hour.

btw your mom rocks!

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
Playing hardcoreish games like Modern War or css as opposed to umm Farmville or Barby's adventure.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
There are a few differences between being hardcore into a game and being into "hardcore" games.

Putting a load of time in does make you hardcore at that game but i think you are better off asking the question the other way round, what makes someone a casual gamer.

I play loads of games and i spend an unhealthy amount of time playing them. But i think the term "hardcore gamer" sounds really stupid and i would never call myself a hardcore gamer.

I think its the games that make you a "hardcore gamer" and other than that you are hardcore into a game if you play a lot of it.

Femaref

May 4, 2008
the way you play it. Understanding the underlying stuff, like game mechanics in an mmog or so. This will probably go hand in hand with time spent.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I believe your more 'hardcore' if you can appreciate the effort and time that went into the game that you are playing, not they type and time you spend on it. If you can appreciate that, for example, Pac-Man is based off a pizza and that ideas like that formed the basis of the early industry as a whole then you could call yourself hardcore.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Skill. You can be a hardcore gamer at pretty much any game, at the right level.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
The whole concept of hard-core gamer can go to Hell...

That said, I guess the time I spend would be the main thing.

Nov 7, 2009
Where's the "being a complete twat" option?

I'm not casual or hardcore. Casual gamers annoy me (FARMVILLE) and hardcore gamers annoy me (MWtards). I'm balanced, leaning slightly towards the "hardcore" side if I must. But what makes a hardcore gamer isn't the games they play, how many games they have or how long they're playing for-it's their personality, and more importantly, their temper (i.e incomprehensibly short).

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
It's how serious you take your gaming. As in someone who is extremely competitive and refuses to take it for fun. Thats how ive viewed it anyway.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I think it's both the types of game and amount of time spent.
Playing one "hardcore" game doesn't make you a hardcore gamer and playing Wii Sports for 15 hours a day doesn't make you a hardcore gamer either. It's some sort of middle ground between two

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
JRShield said:
Distorted Stu said:
I'm afraid the correct answer is time. Why has the wii no hardcore gamers? Because no one can play that thing for more then an hour.

btw your mom rocks!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion mate.

OT: I personally think it's a mix of how much time you spend, and how much money you spend on games.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
D4zZ said:
Urgh.
It's being a douche and calling yourself a hardcore gamer.

Doesn't matter what you play or how long you play for, if you call yourself a hardcore gamer you're a douche and nothing you say about games has any merit.
Now that's nice, isn't it?
OT: It's probably the amount of time you spend gaming. Bonus points for the amount of time you discuss/think about/surf the Internet to find information about gaming.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
None of those three. You're a hardcore gamer when you got a round amount of skill at all games types.

Such as myself...

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
I'd say if you are playing a competitive game, it would depend on your skill level and time spent getting to that point. For other games, I would say that time spent playing the game is a bigger factor, as well as your attitude when playing. If you got really into a game, to the point where you lose yourself in it, I think that counts for something.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Look, if you spend all your time playing MW2, or the latest FPS, you're not hardcore in my eyes. You don't need to play obscure or indie titles, but you need to have diversity.