Rumor: Next Call of Duty In 'Nam?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

After publicly announcing that Treyarch was leaving World War II behind for future Call of Duty titles, rumors have surfaced indicating the series will be heading to Vietnam.

I love the smell of rumors in the morning ... smells like victory.

Okay, now that we've got the obligatory Apocalypse Now misquote out of the way: Back in last October, Noah Heller - Senior Producer on Treyarch's Call of Duty: World at War - hinted to OXM UK [http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=6644] that the company wouldn't be returning to Normandy and Stalingrad anytime soon:

[blockquote]"I won't let your readers read into the comment too much, but we are showing the final battles of the Pacific and the European Theatre and that lets us put a close to the war. I'm sure game companies will be making World War II games for years to come and World War II is a very classic war. But we're happy that we put the war to bed."[/blockquote]

With Treyarch's series co-developer Infinity Ward currently holding firm in the realm of modern warfare, this leaves the series with relatively few historical options. According to TVGB [http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2009/05/01/call-of-duty-7-in-vietnam-cuba/], a "source we consider reliable" has said that Activision is looking to license music for the seventh Call of Duty game: "Vietnam War era tunes, as well as Cuban, African, and Soviet Union music."

Said source specifically mentioned Noah Heller, so if this rumor pans out to be true, we'll know that the franchise is in Treyarch's hands once again. Of course, as with all rumors, there's nothing concrete here - so don't go breaking out the tie-dye, counterculture, and napalm just yet.

Anyway, time for some baseless speculation: A hallmark feature in the CoD games has been showing the story from two different points of view - CoD4 had the Brits and Americans, WaW showed the European and Pacific fronts, so on and so forth. I'm curious as to how they'd pull something like this off for 'Nam, since I doubt they'd be letting gamers play as Charlie anytime soon. Or maybe they would - two opposing viewpoints would make for a potentially interesting storyline.

Or, given that the rumor mentions "Cuban, African, and Soviet Union" music as well as Vietnam-era tunes... perhaps the second storyline could be of, say, a CIA agent engaging in some international espionage? Making this rumored title less Call of Duty: Vietnam and more Call of Duty: The Cold War? It's an interesting idea, and there's certainly a ton of potential here if executed properly.

In the meantime, looks like we'll have to wait for confirmation - or denial, so why not spend the time reminiscing about Battlefield: Vietnam with this classic Penny Arcade [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/17/] strip?

(Joystiq [http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2009/05/01/call-of-duty-7-in-vietnam-cuba/])

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
They cancelled that Fallujah one, (can't remember who was making it), but Vietnam is more widespread in popular culture, so it's not that far fetched.

I would expect it to be far away from reality, but then it is a video game!

Certainly makes a change from WW2 though, so perhaps we should be grateful for that. Perhaps they could make a Napoleonic wars version? Lots of marching in formation, only being able to fire approx. three times a minute...

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Andy_Panthro said:
They cancelled that Fallujah one, (can't remember who was making it), but Vietnam is more widespread in popular culture, so it's not that far fetched.
It was being published by Konami and Atomic still has the rights for the game. They looking for a publisher to release the game. If they cant find one soon they will kill the project.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I hope they get as good as music as EA got for Battlefield: Vietnam. Made the game worth getting the soundtrack did.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Americans are never gonna make a game about a war they got so fucking owned in that they had to drop napalm at innocent people.
Battlefield: Vietnam?
Shellshock: Nam 67?
Vietcong?
Ok so not all made by American Developers but still involving American money, it's already been done.

Anyway, if it's Treyarch at the helm the plot won't be up to much seeing as how they made the Imperial Japanese Army a bunch of cackling psychopaths in WaW. I'd much rather see as game set in the Korean war, you never see games set there.

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
This would be a good game me thinks, it's different from the WWII setting that most CoD's follow this will give a deep cultural feel to the game hopefully.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Like that's gonna happen.

Americans are never gonna make a game about a war they got so fucking owned in that they had to drop napalm at innocent people.
Well...
Technically it wasn't a 'war' because the official definition of 'war' demands that someone actually has to declare 'war'.

The U.S. was (officially at least) there on a U.N. Security Council mandate, largely because the Soviet representative got annoyed and stormed out of the office and wasn't present to veto the anti-Communist actions of the other permanant members of the Security Council.

Also, Napalm is nothing compared to Agent Orange.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
fix-the-spade said:
Psychosocial said:
Vietcong?
Ok so not all made by American Developers but still involving American money, it's already been done.

Anyway, if it's Treyarch at the helm the plot won't be up to much seeing as how they made the Imperial Japanese Army a bunch of cackling psychopaths in WaW. I'd much rather see as game set in the Korean war, you never see games set there.
Let's be fair to Treyarch, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Indigo_Dingo said:
Psychosocial said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
You can't call it 'Nam if you weren't actually in 'Nam, you have to call it Vietnam!
You just called it 'Nam. So unless you own a time machine, I doubt you were there. ;)
I can call it 'Nam to point out people aren't allowed to call it 'Nam, but not independent of another person referring to it as 'Nam.
Hey, it made the title short and snappy. I claim journalistic freedom.

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
fix-the-spade said:
Psychosocial said:
Vietcong?

Let's be fair to Treyarch, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731
Fuck Treyarch.

There are so many ways that they could make a game about the american vietnam war interesting, but they probably won't. All evidence so far points to them not having any imagination to speak of.

roastbeefy

Apr 20, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Like that's gonna happen.

I think the chances are much higher with COD than they would be with any other franchise. Like Yahtzee said about COD 4, "there's much less of that 'my country tis' of thee' [hoopla] that populates most war games."
(couldn't remember which word he used instead of "hoopla"