Illustrated Guide Teaches Dos and Don'ts of LARPing

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Illustrated Guide Teaches Dos and Don'ts of LARPing

Even if live-action role-playing doesn't interest you, this amazing art that explains it will.

Live-action role-playing is not something you can jump into on a whim. No, there are rules which must be adhered to, and sacrifices which must be made. Thankfully, artist Nick Edwards has laid these out for us in beautiful comic book form [http://teamdynamite.livejournal.com/47238.html].

Edwards' narrators, an abstract version of the Human Torch and a talking ice cube, help us to understand the practice of grown men and women dressing up as warriors from various real and imaginary historical periods to battle to the fake death using foam weaponry. It covers everything from the various genres of LARPing, to the dos, don'ts, and pitfalls.

For example, LARPers should "grow a beard," but should not "wear socks with sandals." And were you aware that hitting someone too quickly is called "machine gunning?" I wasn't, but now I am, thanks to Edwards.

While LARPing can be a fun fantasy, Edwards also points out the dangers. These include going completely loony by believing the LARP is real, spending all your time and money on equipment, and becoming obsessed. There's a whole big thing with real-life relationships amongst LARPers too, evidently.

I have friends that LARP, but I never had much of a desire to get into their lives past one showing me a chainmail shirt once. Edwards' awesome art gives me that desire. He could tell me about the difference between white shades of paint and I'd still be intrigued. More of his work is available at his blog [http://teamdynamite.livejournal.com/].

Via: io9 [http://io9.com/5551236/a-comic-to-teach-you-the-dos-and-donts-of-larping/gallery/]

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Awesome psychodelic art.
Also... i never could grow a beard, guess thats why i stopped LARPing at some point :<

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
LARP may be considered geeky, but it can be very physically intense, with some brutal fighting. I know when I did it the group was very rough. It was awesome.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
The Great JT said:
When LARPing...

DO: Make your threats intimadating.
DON'T: Talk about Fight Club.
Do: Dress for the part
Don't: Talk about LARPing in public.

ramox

Mar 11, 2010
Keava said:
Awesome psychodelic art.
Also... i never could grow a beard, guess thats why i stopped LARPing at some point :<
Considering you're a girl, that's somewhat comforting ^_^

OT: Used to LARP for a while years back and i can safely say, it's all so true. Especially the dos and and don'ts are noteworthy.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
That guide is completely awesome in every way. And this is coming from somebody who will happily regale strangers with lengthy tales of what my group did in our last D&D session but thinks LARPers are ridiculous.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Pinstar said:
Do: Dress for the part
Don't: Talk about LARPing in public.
DO: Have fun.
DON'T: Hit on the chick dual-wielding the swords. Seriously, she's dynamite with those things.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
I DO have a beard.
I DONT wear sandals.
Papermaché is a no-go. Dont even think about it!
I DONT even own a wrist watch.
I DO wear real armour.
I DONT (mostly) use real weapons.
I DO team up. (Being a flock of over 100 works best by my experience)
I DO... Wear somewhat flammable materials :p

See picture for proof of beard.

Cant see it? Look harder!

Feb 13, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
There's a whole big thing with real-life relationships amongst LARPers too, evidently.
Oh God, and how.

If you're ever over at Indiana for Gencon Tom, I've some friends who are more than willing to show you proper LARP. Fancy some W40K? Costume Drama? Father Ted? Camp David?

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I am sorry, but since I watched that video about the kid shouting 'LIGHTNING!!' I have lost all seriousness for LARPers.

The SCA makes more sense to me.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
There are some times when even a geekish sort must admit that there are some things he can never do, because they are far too geeky.

This be one of them.

Apr 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
There are some times when even a geekish sort must admit that there are some things he can never do, because they are far too geeky.

This be one of them.
And yet... it looks so fun!

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Tom Goldman said:
There's a whole big thing with real-life relationships amongst LARPers too, evidently.
Oh God, and how.

If you're ever over at Indiana for Gencon Tom, I've some friends who are more than willing to show you proper LARP. Fancy some W40K? Costume Drama? Father Ted? Camp David?
Sure, but should I be as scared as I am?

Feb 13, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Tom Goldman said:
Oh God, and how.

Sure, but should I be as scared as I am?
Perhaps more so. ;)

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Missed the biggest DON'T of all:

DON'T: LARP. You look pretty damn stupid, standing there in a field in a glorified dressing gown, yelling 'Fireball' at each other.

I'm kidding, of course. Some people don't like mages, and find plenty of other ways to embarrass themselves... (o_O);
But then again, if there's one thing you can say about the human race, it's that people will never run out of ways to make themselves look ridiculous.