Nintendo Remaking Pokemon Gold/Silver?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Nintendo Remaking Pokemon Gold/Silver?

Get ready to catch 'em all yet again, as it seems that Nintendo's planning a remake of the much-loved second generation of Pokemon games: Gold and Silver.

Though most of the Poke-nostalgia among non-series hardcores is probably directed toward the first generation of games (Red/Blue/Yellow, if you forgot), the second generation of games, Gold/Silver, has quite the reputation among diehard Pokemaniacs. So it's no surprise that Nintendo's teasing a remake of those games. That and they already remade Red and Blue, so they can't really do it again (yet).

It's not totally official, but this is one of those things where it might as well be. Pokemon Sunday, a Pokemon variety show of sorts in Japan (they really do love Pokemon over there), announced on its last episode that they would be making a big reveal next week, featuring a "worldwide first announcement and a worldwide first big scoop." During the preview for next week's episode, two party balls appeared on stage: one gold, one silver.

At the same time, two Japanese gaming magazines are reporting to have scoops on the same announcement, and will be revealing the info after the show airs. One of the magazines, CoroCoro, was the first to unveil Pokemon Platinum last year.

Finally, as Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/03/pokmon-goldsilver-remakes-coming/] notes, the promotional art for the newest Pokemon movie features the three starter Pokemon from Gold/Silver: Chikorita, Totodile and Cyndaquil. New figures of those three Pokemon are also being released in Japan later this year, so there's that too.

Just like with Red/Blue, I wasted an ungodly amount of time in my more carefree days on Gold/Silver/Crystal, and I'd be glad to do it all over again, especially if there's some neat functionality with the newer games and DS(i) and Wii. Just don't force me to have to play My Pokemon Ranch to unlock Koffing or Psyduck, and I'll be happy.

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
i would be glad to get one of the older Pokemon games playable on the DS, however I won't be happy if they release them full price. Not paying £20-30 for a game I already own

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
As someone who is actually trying to catch 'em all, (friggin event pokemon, %&^%$*&%#%) this would be amazingly awesome.

Keane Ng said:
Just like with Red/Blue, I wasted an ungodly amount of time in my more carefree days on Gold/Silver/Crystal, and I'd be glad to do it all over again, especially if there's some neat functionality with the newer games and DS(i) and Wii. Just don't force me to have to play My Pokemon Ranch to unlock Koffing or Psyduck, and I'll be happy.
What's the deal with P. Ranch? I'm pretty sure you can get both of those pokemon from in-game.

EDIT: this might have something to do with the next Pokemon movie, seeing as they are giving away shiny pichu's (gold) and arceus's (silver/white) for the promotional events. Just be prepared for that instead of a whole new game.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
they remade red & blue? Learn something new every day
I THINK, I'm not sure, that it was remade into Pokemon leafgreen, I have it right now but it still has all of those new damn pussy pokemon

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Keane Ng said:
snip [target='_self'>Permalink[/B]
I hope its not too much to ask but could you edit your article so we can get a link to a source?

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
I want the old Pokemon games where catching them all was possible

How many Pokemon is there now? 300? 400?

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
This makes me incredibly happy. The save battery is dead on my copy of Gold, and I've wanted to play it for some time. Anybody know what platform it's going to be on?

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
Sounds good. But I dont have a ds. Silver was one of my favorite gameboy games ever.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Svenparty said:
I want the old Pokemon games where catching them all was possible

How many Pokemon is there now? 300? 400?
In your face! There are 493, sucker!

Seven of them can't even be obtained outside of promotional events.

Jul 9, 2008
D-Mic said:
This makes me incredibly happy. The save battery is dead on my copy of Gold, and I've wanted to play it for some time. Anybody know what platform it's going to be on?
DS?

Anyway, the only two pokemon games I ever owned were Gold and Sapphire. I've always loved Gold, I hope this is true.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
I'm a blind and ignorant fan boy when it comes to Gold/Silver. So yaaaaaaay.
Don't worry, most of the people think Gold/Silver is the best generation. Just enough of those monsters.

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
orannis62 said:
D-Mic said:
DS?

Anyway, the only two pokemon games I ever owned were Gold and Sapphire. I've always loved Gold, I hope this is true.
I was afraid of that. I may have to get a DS now.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, I'll buy it. Heck, make a Pokemon RPG on any console that I own and I'll buy it.

I do hope it is a remake. I wanna use Totodile again! I hope they let you use the radio while you walk now, and have music for it and stuff. I loved the infinite rare candies from the Crystal exclusive show.

I still like this generation the best. With G/S/C being second, R/S/E third...And the originals actually take the spot of dead last.