Counter-Strike Knife Fight Leads to Real-Life Stabbing

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Counter-Strike Knife Fight Leads to Real-Life Stabbing

A seriously crazy Counter-Strike [http://www.counter-strike.net/] player spent seven months tracking down a guy who stabbed him in the game, so he could stab him back in real life.

We've all been in multiplayer knife fights before. Everybody agrees to put away their guns and pull out their shivs instead, and then a good time is had by all as everyone runs around stabbing the crap out of everything that moves like a bunch of ambulatory, psychotic industrial punch machines. Or maybe the other players all suck and you just want to rub their faces in it a bit. Or maybe you suck and you've burned through all your bullets, and now the best you can hope for is to go out in a blaze of glory. Whatever the case, we've all stabbed and we've all been stabbed.

But we haven't been stabbed like a French gamer by the name of Mikhael, who found himself really stabbed, and really bleeding, after he opened the door for what turned out to be a lunatic Counter-Strike player who was seriously pissed off about getting knifed in an online fight and decided it'd be a good idea to get some meatspace payback.

His assailant, 20-year-old Julien Barreaux, is also apparently a fan of old Klingon proverbs: He spent seven freakin' months plotting his revenge. Fortunately, that psychotic dedication didn't translate into any kind of follow-through, or even decent aim, as his victim survived and he was tracked down by police very quickly.

"Barreaux was arrested within the hour and told us he had wanted to see his rival wiped out for killing off his character," a police officer said during Barreaux's trial, adding that the knife had missed Mikhael's heart "by less than an inch."

"You are a menace to society," Judge Alexiane Potel told him. "I am frankly terrified of the disproportionate reaction you could have if someone looked at you the wrong way in the street." In spite of her professed terror, however, Barreaux was sentenced to only two years in jail for causing grievous bodily harm and was ordered to undergo anger management therapy and psychiatric testing, which will no doubt produce some interesting results.

I guess it's a good thing Mikhael didn't empty an Uzi into Barreaux's face.

Source: Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/7771505/Video-game-fanatic-hunts-down-and-stabs-rival-player-who-killed-character-online.html]

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
errrr....... my favorite weapon in most games is my knife... i have more knife kills than kills with any other weapon in BC2.... i am now fearing for my life.....

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Didn't something like this happen a few months ago?\

A CS based killing?
A Korean, I believe, stabbed a guy in the head he accused of cheating in a cyber-cafe...and the guy survived. There was a really creepy image of him on the operating table with a huge steak knife handle sticking out of his head. I will find the link!

EDIT: Found it!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.182561-Counter-Strike-Cheater-Stabbed-in-Brain?page=1

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
Hmmm. My uncle helped made CS, was one of the top 5 players who ever played CS, he said he met some really really nasty people before but I never thought it would reach this sort of extreme.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

A CS based killing?
Yeah, some Asian kid got stabbed in the brain for cheating.

And he lived.

OT: That just serves to prove my point: Install mines at your door.

Sure, all your relatives and friends will die, but it will save you from crazy people online!

jamez525

Wasting His Title
Oct 4, 2009
Chrono212 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

A CS based killing?
A Korean, I believe, stabbed a guy in the head he accused of cheating in a cyber-cafe...and the guy survived. There was a really creepy image of him on the operating table with a huge steak knife handle sticking out of his head. I will find the link!
I believe you are looking for this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99312-Counter-Strike-Cheater-Stabbed-in-Brain

EDIT: God damn, never mind

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
Someone went nuts because of a game and they weren't American, Chinese, Russian, or Korean?

Well I'll be. /sarcasm

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
two years? Just two fucking years? A small sentence like that is endangering the life of Mikhael. They should lock the nut job that stabbed him and throw away the key. He attempted to kill a man and if he attempted it once he'll attempt it again.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
He may have only gotten 2 years, but it could be much longer than that. I don't know about French prisons, but you don't leave American prisons while you are deemed insane (usually anyway) which is what this judge is probably pushing for. This could end up as a lifetime in prison (though probably not) if he never reforms.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
More fuel for the flame I suppose.

Thank god the knife in CS isn't a bowie. Or else he probably would've hit the heart (assuming he tried to use the same type of knife)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow...thats disturbing...really...disturbing. People like that need to be locked away

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
I really guess I should stop Kniferunning in MW2 when I cant be bothered anymore then huh.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Wow, big deja vu there from the last time this happened. 2 years seems kind of short, especially if the guy spent 7 months to plan this, I don't think 2 years may deter him from finishing what he started.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Well that's messed up and that reminds me...

@The_root_of_all_evil: Backstab me will you!