FF7 Writer: Nintendo Era Is Over

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
FF7 Writer: Nintendo Era Is Over

The man who wrote Square-Enix classics Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger thinks that Nintendo's handheld dominance is finally at an end, thanks to a certain company named after a fruit.

In 1989, Nintendo launched the Game Boy. This unassuming gray brick would herald two decades of the Big N's absolute dominance in the handheld arena. Countless challengers sought to usurp the handheld throne from Nintendo - the Sega Game Gear, the NeoGeo Pocket, and the N-Gage, to name a few - and while Sony's PSP has held its own and not knuckled under like the rest, the House of Mario firmly remains the handheld king.

And yet, just a few weeks away from Nintendo's formal unveiling of its next handheld generation, the man behind some of the most beloved JRPGs of all time thinks that its era of control has reached its twilight. Masato Kato, who wrote Xenogears [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-VII-Black-Label-Playstation/dp/B00000JRSB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276202667&sr=1-1] (among others) said that the age of Nintendo was over - and that the entity that had cast Nintendo from its hill of money was not rival Sony, but newcomer Apple.

"With the iPad going on sale, the epoch of Nintendo is finished," Kato said translated by Kotaku [http://twitter.com/masa0099]. "But with the DS and the Wii, it's been digging its own grave."

It's true that Nintendo's boss-man Satoru Iwata has called Apple the "enemy of the future," [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100548-Nintendo-Defeats-Sony-Apple-is-Enemy-of-the-Future] indicating that the hardware giant is aware of the threat imposed by the House of Jobs and the popularity of its iPhone, iPad and iPod platforms. So, in that regard, Kato is absolutely correct that Apple is a danger to the Big N.

But I have to take a bit of umbrage with the second half of that statement. Hey Mr. Kato, have you seen how well Nintendo's hardware has been selling this generation? It's not so much digging its own grave as it is lining its own bed - with hundred-dollar bills.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
This man is an idiot. Why are we paying attention to what he said? So he wrote FF7. Whoop-dee-fucking-do. That gives him no authority when it comes to business projections.

Nintendo does have an enemy in Apple, but just like they always have, Nintendo will come out better for the competition. They did it with Sega, and they've only grown exponentially since then.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I cant say I disagree with him. Its no longer a dominance for them, but, I dont think they are at the point of failing just yet

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
John Funk said:
The man who wrote Square-Enix classics Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger thinks that Nintendo's handheld dominance is finally at an end thanks to a certain company named after a fruit.
The Pineapple Corporation?

OT: I would love it if they released some good RPG's for my iPhone. Well, I would kind of like it anyway.

You never find any good games for the DS in my little city anyway.

Although I hope Apple will make a handheld console that is only that. The iPhone is functional, but I'd rather have a device centered on one special thing rather than tons of them.

Still, we shall see what the future holds!

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm sorry. I couldn't help it. Nintendo's era is far from over. Oooh just because the guy who wrote FF7 said, it must be true. The Wii and DS are still selling like crazy. Maybe he confused the DS with the PSP(Yes I went there).
Plus...Does the Ipad have Super Mario Bros,Fire Emblem,Pokemon,Professor Layton,Warioware,Planet Puzzle League,Megaman ZX and Kirby? No, I don't think so.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
This man is an idiot. Why are we paying attention to what he said? So he wrote FF7. Whoop-dee-fucking-do. That gives him no authority when it comes to business projections.

Nintendo does have an enemy in Apple, but just like they always have, Nintendo will come out better for the competition. They did it with Sega, and they've only grown exponentially since then.
Yeah you summed it up pretty well. The iPad is clearly a retarded product, though the 3DS is equally as retarded.

OANST

Aug 10, 2009
Do you think it's possible that you guys could start proof reading your articles before hitting the post button? There are more spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in this site's articles than there are on 4chan.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
So now Nintendo has yet another competitor in the handheld race. It doesn't mean they are dead at all now they just have to work that much harder and that's a good thing.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
When they start putting Final antasy and Metroid games on the iPad, maybe. But as it stands, they are too different to be called competitors. Even if Apple outsells Nintendo, Nintendo won't lose much since the iPad won't be viewed as a game console. They can both exist.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
manythings said:
Yeah you summed it up pretty well. The iPad is clearly a retarded product, though the 3DS is equally as retarded.
I would disagree with that. I think that the iPad has potential to be a useful, albeit pricey, piece of technology, and I'm reserving judgement on the 3DS until I see more of it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
OANST said:
Do you think it's possible that you guys could start proof reading your articles before hitting the post button? There are more spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in this site's articles than there are on 4chan.
Did you know that "handheld" is listed as a typo? Just because there's a red line under it doesn't mean it's incorrect ;)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
so the guy who wrote one of the worst ff games thinks that nintendo cant hold onto the hand held market any longer?

why yes I do think that ff7 is vastly over rated, how could you tell?

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
I don't believe much logic in the argument.

Apple's touch-pads are well-loved, yes, but they don't offer much in the way of good, classic serials that people tend to get behind. Not to mention there just isn't a helluva lot of quality control from either side, but atleast Nintendo has a history of making great first-party titles that most-everyone respects.

...essentially what I'm getting at is Apple doesn't have "Pokemon". Nintendo will float fine on their own.

They could call their next handheld "Nintendo Pokedex DS" and it will sell like hotcakes that taste like friendship.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
...Ouch.

That came out of no where, but I will be the judge of that piece of info Kato!

P.s...Final fanasty7 story was okay I guess bck when it matter...crisis core was better.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Is it just me, or is this the second in a sequence of weird statements being made from the Final Fantasy 7 corner of Square this week?

No doubt Apple will prove itself a serious competitor, perhaps even more-so than the PSP... But to say Nintendo's era is over? That seems a bit over the top.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I disagree massively. Apple products are vastly too expensive to hold dominance over the market. Nintendo makes things at a reasonable price that younger people, the real core of the handheld market, has more of a hope of getting. No 15 year old wanting a handheld console is going to get an iPhone, much less an iPad, be realistic.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Ehhh...I have to disagree with his statement, while the iPhone and iPad are pretty bitchin in their own right as a handheld console I think anything can really replace the format of your basic d-pad + buttons + a screen in the middle setup.

OANST

Aug 10, 2009
John Funk said:
OANST said:
Did you know that "handheld" is listed as a typo? Just because there's a red line under it doesn't mean it's incorrect ;)
I'm referring to the replacement of the word "threat" with the word "thread". This is why I chose the words proof read and not the words spell check.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
OANST said:
John Funk said:
OANST said:
I'm referring to the replacement of the word "threat" with the word "thread". This is why I chose the words proof read and not the words spell check.
We do proofread. Sometimes things slip through the cracks. Happens. Thanks for pointing it out :)