Dungeon Keeper MMOG: Horny is Still Coming to PCs

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Dungeon Keeper MMOG: Horny is Still Coming to PCs

EA's Dungeon Keeper MMOG is still in the works. After a year and a half, new details and concept art have been revealed.

Since it was announced in 2008, news on the Dungeon Keeper MMOG has been practically nonexistent. This isn't too surprising, since no plans have been announced to bring the game to Western audiences any time soon, but new details have surfaced about the title's development. The good news is that the game is coming, but the bad news is that it's still only coming to Asian markets.

MMO Culture has managed to get its hands on some new concept art, as well as a couple of story details. Dungeon Keeper World is still being developed by MMOG veteran TQ Digital (the company behind Fantasy Disney Online and [http://homm.91.com/index/]).

The game is apparently going to be presented in fully-rendered 3D; yes, apparently this was in doubt. There are going to be two different game modes: above and below ground. Above ground, the players participate in a game that is presumably the same as most other fantasy MMOGs on the market. Under the game's surface, though, the spirit of the Dungeon Keeper series will live on, as players work as evil lords building up their own dungeon empire.

So far, the only playable race that's been revealed is the Demon race, but apparently more will be available when the game finally launches. The concept art for characters and environments is nice enough, but it also looks like your typical fantasy MMOG artwork. Davey Jones's long lost twin (pictured at right) definitely gave me pause, though. Maybe there's a Demon Pirate character class, which would be awesome.

Some sort of incarnation of the Horned Reaper, affectionately known as "Horny" to fans of the series, is also present in the concept art, but what his role will be in the MMOG is unspecified.

What made the Dungeon Keeper games so much fun was the tongue-in-cheek attitude that was present when they skewered fantasy stereotypes. So far, none of that humor seems to be present in Dungeon Keeper World, which is worrying; this is too great of an IP to flush down the tubes of mediocrity.

Source: Massively

Jul 22, 2005
I was just looking for my old Dungeon Keeper CDs the other day... I am glad to hear about this, and am excited for more news about it.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
One one hand... i came
On the other... please dont ruin one of most fun games i played in my life, i think in the end id rather prefer a proper DK3 release instead of Asian market focused MMO spin-off. Oh well, one can dream. Im still waiting on Syndicate too.

PipBoy2000

Oct 7, 2009

YOUR HEAD A SPLODE

Why only use the name and dump everything else? This is so messed up, I almost got a heart attack when I saw this headline... :(

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Fucking hell, how did EA let this happen? I'm completely baffled that they'd let this IP get so horribly raped like this.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I know there is money in the Asian markets...but come on! Dungeon Keeper got famous over here! Give us some Horny!

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Eh, not interested.

I'd be more interested in a version of DK2 that would run on modern machines. My copy has been gathering dust for years. :(

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
The quality of life for the guy in that picture must me awful... A sword and an axe(?). No wonder he wants to kill people, its literally all he can do.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
I have only one question: What the fuck are they doing making this an MMO!?

None of it will transfer well to an MMO at all. Nothing, not even the leveling up side of the creatures you get in to your dungeon will transfer well.

Dungeon Keeper is one of my favorite games and as happy as i am to hear that its still alive and kicking this feels like its been dug up, pissed on and then someone tried to resurrect it but gave up half way through to have a bottle of vodka and forgot to finish it off. NOT RIGHT AT ALL.