New Square Enix Title Brings Bears and "WTF"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
New Square Enix Title Brings Bears and "WTF"

Square Enix, known for a stable of RPGs, is now throwing its hat into the genre of freaking weird.

A new WiiWare game coming out of Square Enix might be the oddest title the developer has ever created. Called Kumanage, it involves paper bears, candy, and children with creepy grins.

Translated by Japanese website [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/03/square_enix_wiiware_game/] describes Kumanage as a "throwing action game" set in a picture book. Players toss paper bears at objects onscreen to complete each level.

The creepy children come in with the game's two versions: Kumanage: The Blue Gem that Kiina Hates -- Battle Version and Kumanage: The Red Candy that Piina Likes -- Puzzle Version. Kiina throws paper bears to protect his blue gem, while Piina is all about throwing bears to collect candy. It's unknown what the paper bears actually do, but I know if a paper bear were thrown at me I would give up my candy pretty quickly.

It's nice to see that the Japanese haven't forgotten how to develop games that many would consider to be pretty weird. I wish I could explain why concepts that I can't wrap my head around make me want to instantly hand over money, but they do.

WiiWare seems to be the place to deposit games like this and other oddities [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97014-Polar-Bears-Flex-in-New-Muscle-March-Footage]. Kumanage's site shows an "E for Everyone" rating by the ESRB, meaning this one will probably make its way out of Japan, so you'd better get your bear-throwing face on.

Source: Andrisang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/03/square_enix_wiiware_game/]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I like this. We need more ridiculously stupid games as long as they are enjoyable!

Calumon: Forget your Realism, we have fun!

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
If Kiina hates the Blue Gem, I wonder why he's protecting it?
I will need to find this out at one point.

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
SUPER HAPPY BEAR CANDY FUN HOUR BONANZA!!!! AHH AHHAHHAHH! yeah this is really weird and I doubt I will be playing but its rather interesting

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
Holy shit. This makes me want to fix my brothers Wii. Japan just won't stop tossing these ridiculous yet awesome concepts out!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
TheNumber1Zero said:
If Kiina hates the Blue Gem, I wonder why he's protecting it?
I will need to find this out at one point.
This is honestly the question you're going to ask?
They're throwing paper bears to collect CANDY!
Logic can not prevail here.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
What is this I don't even.

No seriously, that's... really very weird. Sounds like a lot more fun than certain other Wii titles I can think of though!

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Holy shit looks awesome. Japanese developers need to further distance themselves from Western developers and embrace their own heritage instead of crudly emulating space marine shooters. Let's hope they never stop making these types of games.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Square Enix sailing from there Charted Ocean into the Murky waters of Bat shit insanity?.

Well i never.

Gryphonsflight

Aug 2, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
I like this. We need more ridiculously stupid games as long as they are enjoyable!

Calumon: Forget your Realism, we have fun!
All I have to add to this is, Katamari Damashi. Rejoyce in the strange and the weird for it shall give you the best play ever you will remember.