Trent Reznor Probably Not Working on Doom 4

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Trent Reznor Probably Not Working on Doom 4

Former Nine Inch Nails front man Trent Reznor says that it's unlikely that he will contribute to Doom 4.

Trent Reznor and id Software have a long history together, but the musician says that it is "unlikely" that he will be contributing to the new Doom game.

On the Tumblr [http://destroyangels.tumblr.com/post/660280960/an-off-topic-question-for-trent-whats-going-on-with-id] page for his new band "How to Destroy Angels", Reznor made it clear that that he had not been approached by the company. "I haven't been contacted by [id] and find it unlikely that I would have time at this point," the musician wrote, responding to a fan's question.

Reznor provided the music for Doom 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Quake-4-Special-DVD-Pc/dp/B000AQE79E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276200988&sr=1-1], although none of his work made it to the final version of the game.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179629]

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Eh doesn't matter to me as long as Doom 4 kicks ass, unless of course we get to kill demon possessed Nine Inch Nails in it, in which case get your ass over to [id] now!

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Sound gets people into the theme of the game. It adds buckets of atmosphere.

Without that atmosphere, it makes it harder to scare the players, or to make them feel like what you want at that moment.

Needless to say I hope they have someone talented to replace the guy, as music and sound are very big elements in a game, especially a scary game.

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
Damn.... I love NIN and I have to agree with Furburt, the music in Quake was great and added a lot to the game.

I'm curious as to how many NIN fans there are on the Escapist... I'm a bit crazy about them. Just got my YRZERO number plates the other day =D

Dr Bob

Mar 17, 2010
dls182 said:
Damn.... I love NIN and I have to agree with Furburt, the music in Quake was great and added a lot to the game.

I'm curious as to how many NIN fans there are on the Escapist... I'm a bit crazy about them. Just got my YRZERO number plates the other day =D
I'm a crazy NIN fan.

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
Dr Bob said:
I'm a crazy NIN fan.
Awesome! I'm trying to find copies of the 3 We're In This Together singles and the Into The void single, then I'll have all of the Halos. To bloody expensive though!

Anywho, I stop hijacking the thread now

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
This is sort of non news but when the man does have something to say about games he is sometimes more insightful than many industry figures and all game journalists (sorry guys). I've enjoyed Nine Inch Nails since Broken but I'm probably a bit too old with too many other forms of music I enjoy to be called a fanatic.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
I was not aware of this. Wow I learned something today.

OT: Not knowing that he was part of it in the first place I guess I am not horribly saddened by this fact.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
dls182 said:

There's a huge fan right here :D

It's a shame, the Quake soundtrack was great. It was a bigger shame of course that Trent quit NIN, but I have say How To Destroy Angels sounds pretty good too.

PS: I wish I could get NIN plates :(

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I didn't know he was even rumoured to be working on it... :|
I had heard something about him working on Doom 3 although nothing he did ended up on the final game. I didn't know he worked on quake either.
But now I really wish he was working on Doom 4. That could easily raise the bar from average shooter that was Doom 3 to great shooter that could be Doom 4.

dls182 said:

I'm a pretty big NIN fan, not the biggest I know by a long shot though. Although I've seen them twice, and the second time a guy who I thought was the biggest NIN fan I know went to see Manic Street Preachers instead. And it was their last tour. Manics will probably be round for ages more.
That second was one of the best (mud-filled) concerts I've been to. It's a shame he choose not to go.

KayuWolf

Aug 10, 2009
I loooove NIN so this is a shame, but i take issue with the title calling trent "former NIN front man" since NIN is still around just no longer doing touring (and technically trent reznor IS nin, it has no other official members, just gets people when they did live for the peformances)

MalevolentJim

Aug 15, 2008
Well, I love Trent no matter what he does or doesn't do, So this isn't a big deal to me as long as the game is still good.

Plus, How To Destroy Angels are pretty cool, I do hope they tour.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, dosnt make much difference if his work was never used in newer one. Hope it will still sound scary enough to make me jump!

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Reznor worked on Doom 3? Man, why did they cut his stuff out? That game was too quiet and the music sucked. Maybe they should try and get Rammstein to do the soundtrack for Doom 4.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Yeah, I remember before Doom 3 came out there was a ton of buzz around the fact that Trent was going to be writing almost all the music, then things changed.. He has such talent, I would love to hear what he would score for Doom 4...