Sega Considers Online Pass of its Own

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sega Considers Online Pass of its Own

Online passes and ten dollar projects might not just be EA's thing in the future.

Whatever your opinion of EA's new policies regarding downloadable content and online play, it's certainly gotten the cogs whirring in the minds of some publishers, and Sega West president Mike Hayes said his company is considering something similar to EA's new strategy for online gaming and day one DLC. "It is a very clever idea and is something we are certainly taking a look at," Hayes said.

Sega is not the only publisher said to be considering a similar scheme, as Ubisoft's CFO Alain Martinez said during a recent earnings call: "We are looking very carefully at what is being done by EA regarding what we call the $10 solution and we will probably follow that line at some time in the future."

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/sega-looking-at-online-pass]

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
as uncomfortable as it feels to say, it's nice to see a decent(ish) idea catching on & that EA had it first.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Most of Sega's games that I play are DLC-less or single player. Like Bayonetta, Madworld, and stuff. Wouldn't effect me much. The last thing of SEGA's I played online was PSO, iirc. It'd still suck. I'm fine with Project Ten Dollar, the DLC plan, as the game is more than playable without the DLC, but not so fine with paying to "unlock" online play.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Hmm, well I've gotta admit it's a good thing, and it seems to be catching on quite well.

I wonder though: Has anyone got the figures since project ten dollar started? If so, has there been any significant increase or decrease in sales of new or used games?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
tehroc said:
What games does Sega put out that has multiplayer??
Sonic and Sega all star racing, a crappy mode in Black Knight, I think they had it in the Rider games and... that is it.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
"It is a very clever idea that will help our company lose sales and fans as quickly as possible."
Fixed it for him.

P.S. that photo turns me on.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ah, it was inevitable that the other companuies would follow suite...seems to be the norm now

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Its how all unpleasant aspects of gaming get slowly introduced... little by little , worming its way into normal business methods till its part of the deal, then the next unpleasant part gets added...

... in about 5 years from now we will be paying for the privilage of being allowed to 'rent' (buy but not own) games, and pay per level or section the game presents. Look to the independant game devs, even on consoles theres some good stuff coming through... low on graphics but heavy in gameplay.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
This reminds me of the rise of WoW and Everquest where a bunch of similar companies thought they could charge a monthly fee for MMO games, and look at how successful that has been. Plenty of games in the pay-to-play realm have come and gone, but usually none are successful as the originators of the ideas. Some come along and do it better, but most often they don't. Because Sega wants to jump on this overpriced bandwagon does not make it a good idea. Since the price of video games have risen without much of a public outcry, I can't in good conscience support this idea or even EA's original plan. I could care less about DLC content anyway... but I'll be among the first to be pissed when they start to charge us for game updates they provide for free right now.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
ASnogarD said:
Its how all unpleasant aspects of gaming get slowly introduced... little by little , worming its way into normal business methods till its part of the deal, then the next unpleasant part gets added...

... in about 5 years from now we will be paying for the privilage of being allowed to 'rent' (buy but not own) games, and pay per level or section the game presents. Look to the independant game devs, even on consoles theres some good stuff coming through... low on graphics but heavy in gameplay.
Considering Fable 3's plan (the disc you buy will contain a large "episode", while the rest of the episodes will be DLC. Source. [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178455]), the future is now. Especially if you're buying the PC version.