Oz's Tin Man Retooled in Awesome Steampunk Prequel

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010

[vimeo=11431902]​
A fan-made movie on the Web tells an amazing origin story for the Tin Woodman from the Wizard of Oz. One word: "Steampunk."

Once upon a time, there was a tin woodsman who helped a girl from Kansas (and her little dog, too) find her way home. We all know how this story goes, thanks to Frank Baum's novel, the classic movie we all grew up with, and so many other retellings of this tale. The story we don't know, however, is how the woodsman got stuck in the woods where Dorothy found him. A new indie movie tells the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_Woodman>Tin Woodman's origin story. Heartless: The Story of the Tin Man may very well be a case of a fan adaptation surpassing the source material.

The Oz books say the Tin Woodman was a man who was targeted by the Wicked Witch of the East, who cursed his axe in order to prevent him from marrying the girl he loved. The curse caused the axe to strike his body, and each damaged part was replaced by a tin smith until there was nothing left, not even his heart.

The movie takes this story and expands on it, fleshing the story out and making it infinitely more beautiful, tragic, and - at the end - utterly heartbreaking. Try not to tear up at the end, I dare you.

Heartless was made by White Stone Motion Pictures, a group that has a truly impressive collection of short videos on their site. One can only hope someone sees this company's work and gives them enough money for a big-budget movie or a fully-funded TV show that lets them run wild.

Source: Geeks are Sexy

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Veruy intresting...original idea at least. Novvel idea!

MutetheDrunk

Oct 5, 2009
I like what I watched so far , the scenery, costume, i like. However, just something i found funny, when the ax flew off the handle and struck the woodman's arm, the facial expression and the light gait when he rushed for help said "ah, not again" to me

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Damn you Wicked, you'd put some kind of false canon in my head! Damn you to Hades, you fantastic musical you.

OT: Interesting retelling, and Steampunk makes everything better. :)

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Damn right Steampunk makes everything better. I use it as an illustration inspiration al the time.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
See that was pretty awesome. I feel the old films kinda butchered the dark material, but oh well.

Oh man, it'd love to see a whole film, just a proper version of the books in a steampunk style, they'd pull it off real well.

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
vansau said:

[vimeo=11431902]​
A fan-made movie on the Web tells an amazing origin story for the Tin Woodman from the Wizard of Oz. One word: "Steampunk."

Once upon a time, there was a tin woodsman who helped a girl from Kansas (and her little dog, too) find her way home. We all know how this story goes, thanks to Frank Baum's novel, the classic movie we all grew up with, and so many other retellings of this tale. The story we don't know, however, is how the woodsman got stuck in the woods where Dorothy found him. A new indie movie tells the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_Woodman>Tin Woodman's origin story. Heartless: The Story of the Tin Man may very well be a case of a fan adaptation surpassing the source material.

The Oz books say the Tin Woodman was a man who was targeted by the Wicked Witch of the East, who cursed his axe in order to prevent him from marrying the girl he loved. The curse caused the axe to strike his body, and each damaged part was replaced by a tin smith until there was nothing left, not even his heart.

The movie takes this story and expands on it, fleshing the story out and making it infinitely more beautiful, tragic, and - at the end - utterly heartbreaking. Try not to tear up at the end, I dare you.

Heartless was made by White Stone Motion Pictures, a group that has a truly impressive collection of short videos on their site. One can only hope someone sees this company's work and gives them enough money for a big-budget movie or a fully-funded TV show that lets them run wild.

Source: Geeks are Sexy

Wow....

That was really good

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
That blew me away. I have not seen anything that well done in such a simple form in a long time. Why do we continue to have an honestly slow and getting to be kind of lame story like A Good Knights Tale when we could get these guys to do some stuff?

Woem

May 28, 2009
As a big fan of the Tin Man (I'm heartless myself) I think this was a wonderful adaption.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
I like!

The tin man was my favorite character, anyways. Unless you count some of the later Oz books, they had some pretty cool stuff too.

Not a fan of generic heart = love symbolism, because it's retarded... But tin-man is like a magical/steam-punk cyborg who goes beyond. As a transhumanist, I approve fully.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Damn... That was awesome... When I saw how long it was going to be I didn't think I'd end up watching it all but I did and am pretty glad. Thanks a bunch.