Developer Blasts Activision Over Indie Game Competition

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Developer Blasts Activision Over Indie Game Competition

Activision may have been hoping to garner some good will thanks to its recently-announced indie game competition, but at least one developer isn't drinking the Kool-Aid.
Activision's reviews from the overall gaming community. Some people claim it seems like the publisher is taking some steps to turn itself around and be a friend to small companies. At least one indie developer, though, isn't buying into that argument, and has blasted the competition as being more than a little dubious.

Jeff Rosen of <a href=http://www.wolfire.com>Wolfire was intrigued by the idea of a company as big as Activision suddenly getting involved with the Indie Games scene, so he decided to check out the nitty-gritty details. "The competition is pretty polarizing," he says, "Many stories see it and immediately laud Activision for helping the indie community, while many stories are quick to trash it, noting dubious clauses in the fine print. As an indie developer, I thought I'd take a closer look myself."

Rosen's take on the competition is less than enthusiastic, and for a number of reasons that make a lot of sense. The rules of eligibility, that applicants have to provide a definitive business plan and a development schedule (not exactly easy for many indie developers, who are often working on games in their free time), and the fact that entrants have to give Activision first right of refusal when it comes to publishing their game, are all points of concern.

Rosen may not be a familiar name to you, but he's a mover and shaker when it comes to the Indie Games community. He was one of the driving forces behind the Humble Indie Bundle, a name-your-price sale that featured a number of popular indie games. Shortly before the sale ended, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100622-Humble-Indie-Bundle-Breaks-a-Million-Bucks>it broke the million dollar mark.
Wolfire already developed and released Lugaru (which has sold more than 100,000 copies, including accounting for those sold during the Humble Indie Bundle) and is currently working on a sequel titled Overgrowth.

While Rosen isn't trying to tell people that they shouldn't get involved with the competition, he does want them to be aware of what they're getting into: "This is very, very different from the Independent Game Festival or other contests that you hear about on indie sites like TIGSource."

Source: <a href=http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/06/Activision-Indie-Games-Competition>Wolfire Blog

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I wouldn't doubt Activision will steal ideas from indie games without giving them credit for it.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Yup, don't be counting on Activision to change their ways just yet. I wouldn't touch this contest with a 50 foot pole if I was a developer. This kind of shit is what has me boycotting Activision entirely now. Well, this and the Infinity Ward debacle. And the driving into the ground of the Guitar Hero franchise. And Bobby Kotick being a douchebag in general. In fact, side note to you Activision. I was actually looking forward to the upcoming Transformers: War For Cybertron until I found out you guys were publishing it. I'll be passing on that game now.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
tehroc said:
I wouldn't doubt Activision will steal ideas from indie games without giving them credit for it.
What this man said. Why is it that Activision turned into the evil company all of a sudden, and EA seems like the underdog with Bad Company 2? It's like 2010 is the Mirror year...

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. People should read an understand the small print. If they choose to forego that, more fool them

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Well it is Activision, you can't really expect them to not be ass holes.

clzark

Aug 21, 2009
sooooo...Activision is just a bunch of dicks? I think we've already established that.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Awwwww, how cute. Activision helping the little guys. It'snot that easy to turn your image around, we won't forget your sinful ways Activision, we'll never forget!!!

Damn you for publishing D3. I never wanted to buy a game from you again...can't resist..ahhh!

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
Awwwww, how cute. Activision helping the little guys. It'snot that easy to turn your image around, we won't forget your sinful ways Activision, we'll never forget!!!

Damn you for publishing D3. I never wanted to buy a game from you again...can't resist..ahhh!
EA managed to turn their image around pretty well.. I mean, shortly before the fall of the Guitar Genre, EA was the devil, over and over again.

And then they introduced Project 10 Dollar, Released games that the EVIL Activision was trying to bust down, and did a hilarious job marketting Dante's Inferno. So they were doing some decent things, and all the while Activision was just building upto a crescendo of evil public opinion. EA basically just sat back, laughed and said "Hey, at least we're not Activision", and it sort of worked.

Eventually the tide will turn back around and EA will be the Evil Giant Corporation again, and when that happens, no doubt Activision will capitalize on it, and they will look good in comparison.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The claims are without validation...ive also wondered how they still be indie if they have a coroprate sponsorting? Kinda makes you wonder how do you define Indie

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
cooluc said:
I wouldn't trust Activision, ever. Especially if I was an indie developer.
Exactly. After everything they've done to people over the last few years, who in their right mind would want to do business with them?

Answer: people infatuated with the idea of possibly making a lot of money quickly. You know, like tortured indie devs with families to feed. Which means that Activision could put Satan himself on their board of directors and they'll still probably get tons of applicants for this competition.

True, sad, and inevitable. Reality as it is. I guess all we can hope for is that some good games come out of it. So we can pay Activision for them, thereby making it into an even bigger art and career-destroying monster.

Again, c'est la vie.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I have mixed opinions. Today it can be a fine line between protecting oneself and looking to exploit people when it comes to contracts.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I highly doubt it, but I do think that some priceless gem of a game might be regurgitated out of the mouth of Activision.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
You know, I always thought that the point of Indie games were that they were made by small groups and/or individuals. Getting asisstance from a major game company seems to be defeating the purpose.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Considering their attitude towards Brutal Legend I doubt they'd be very enthusiastic about supporting anyone but the goose who shits golden eggs on a weekly basis.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I can already imagine one of the winner's reward: The indie dev's game gets stolen from them (by Activision) and their ass sued.