Video: Square Enix's Nerkas Is a Leaked E3 Mystery

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

A Square Enix video screen playing outside of E3 2010's convention center has revealed a psychic action game called Nerkas.

AllGamesBeta [http://www.allgamesbeta.info/2010/01/what-is-nerkas.html] was able to get camera footage from the pre-E3 setup of what is apparently an unannounced Square Enix game called Nerkas. Square Enix Europe has the Nerkas domain name trademarked.

Nerkas takes place during some sort of conflict in 2031. The video shows a group of what look to be civilians with a woman standing behind them wearing a device that resembles a Bluetooth headset. It is through this device that the woman is presumably able to control other people psychically.

The controlled are shown engaging in gun play with different kinds of soldiers and robots, making Nerkas at least partially an action game. Because unknowing citizens appear to be forced into battle, the story could involve some kind of underground psychic revolt against an oppressor, or something similar.

Square Enix has been touting a super secret project that will blow people's "socks off" and this could potentially be it, though my socks are still firmly on last I checked. Nerkas is definitely an unexpected project from Square Enix, though perhaps it shouldn't be now that the developer has made its intentions to expand outside of the RPG genre well-known. Come E3, we'll likely be able to find out more, and may end up sock-less.

Source: VG247 [http://www.allgamesbeta.info/2010/01/what-is-nerkas.html]

Sir Moomin

Apr 16, 2010
Controlling other humans does not really seem that fun to me but i suppose they will have some other gimic well i hope at least.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Sounds a lot like Geist. Except you don't start the game dead.
That and it gives me strong Ghost In The Shell vibes. People getting taken over in a futuristic setting through earphone-thingies? Give us some exoskeletons and we're good to go.

Also, what's up with the silly names? First Nier, now Nerkas?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Sounds a lot like Geist. Except you don't start the game dead.
I'd say comparing a game to Geist would be a bad thing, but one of the good things about Geist was being able to posses people and objects. Incorporating this into the games puzzles made them more unique and interesting than those featured in most games, although they were sometimes obscure and frustrating because of this. To see another game use a similar mechanic and refine it would grab my attention.

Still, this doesn't appear to be what Nerkas (???) is doing exactly. From what I can glean from the very short trailer is that the possession mechanic is focused more around combat. Not exactly what I would want to see. Though this is hardly enough to judge a game by, so I'll wait til I hear more. Though I must say this is the first time I've been remotely interested in what Square Enix is making.

Cowabungaa said:
Not even Deus Ex 3? That's also quite something different from their usual JRPG's.
What? Square Enix is making Deus Ex 3? That's pretty surprising to me, since I didn't know they had any association with that franchise whatsoever.

While I'm surprised that they are making it, I'm not really interested though. I never played the first Deus Ex, and from what I've heard the second was pretty bad. So I have no real connection to the franchise.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
Though I must say this is the first time I've been remotely interested in what Square Enix is making.
Not even Deus Ex 3? That's also quite something different from their usual JRPG's.

miva2

Mar 18, 2010
where does it say this is from square enix? i didn't see their logo or something.

interesting concept, now let's hope they make a good game out of it :)
I like it how SE want's to broaden it's horizon but if you would load up that game and see the SE logo i'd check if i put the correct disc in, lol.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
I think that looks pretty cool but its a 3rd person shooter with psychic elements, though something makes me think it could be ps3 exclusive and voice controlled, the woman's bluetooth thing looks like the ps3 mic :)

rpspartin

Aug 4, 2009
Idk... Maybe if i could hear the trailer rather then that music in the background. If the concept seems interesting. Hopefully it has a decent story and is executed well.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
This guy needs to learn to hold a camera straight. Atleast try it goddamn it.

Seems mediocre. A lot of game do nowadays, if you take away the sound and 'bombastic' trailer editing, which is taken away by his craptastic camera skills. Less flash, more substance please. Why can't developers learn?

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Cowabungaa said:
What? Square Enix is making Deus Ex 3? That's pretty surprising to me, since I didn't know they had any association with that franchise whatsoever.

While I'm surprised that they are making it, I'm not really interested though. I never played the first Deus Ex, and from what I've heard the second was pretty bad. So I have no real connection to the franchise.
Square Enix own Eidos now and Eidos Montreal are developing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, they even released a new trailer for it.

I do recommend playing the first as it was a great game, the second was ok, but not as good.

EDIT: OT (which i forgot), looks interesting but gives me Appleseed vibes for some odd reason.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
poiumty said:
It looks like alpha protocol, but twice as dull. And the Alpha Protocol trailer was VERY dull mind you.
It...does kind of in a way look like Alpha Protocol dun it?

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
Just when you thought you'd never have a worse game title than "Nier", Square Enix breaks its own record and creates "Nerdass"... I mean "Nerkas". Congratulations!

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
Tom Goldman said:

A Square Enix video screen playing outside of E3 2010's convention center has revealed a psychic action game called Nerkas.

AllGamesBeta [http://www.allgamesbeta.info/2010/01/what-is-nerkas.html] was able to get camera footage from the pre-E3 setup of what is apparently an unannounced Square Enix game called Nerkas. Square Enix Europe has the Nerkas domain name trademarked.

Nerkas takes place during some sort of conflict in 2031. The video shows a group of what look to be civilians with a woman standing behind them wearing a device that resembles a Bluetooth headset. It is through this device that the woman is presumably able to control other people psychically.

The controlled are shown engaging in gun play with different kinds of soldiers and robots, making Nerkas at least partially an action game. Because unknowing citizens appear to be forced into battle, the story could involve some kind of underground psychic revolt against an oppressor, or something similar.

Square Enix has been touting a super secret project that will blow people's "socks off" and this could potentially be it, though my socks are still firmly on last I checked. Nerkas is definitely an unexpected project from Square Enix, though perhaps it shouldn't be now that the developer has made its intentions to expand outside of the RPG genre well-known. Come E3, we'll likely be able to find out more, and may end up sock-less.

Source: VG247 [http://www.allgamesbeta.info/2010/01/what-is-nerkas.html]

This could potentially be one of the most epic games ever. But then I'm hoping for the best and thinking Stubbs the Zombie meets Tom Clancy's Endwar *drool*.

starhaven

Jan 24, 2010
i like the fact that they are trying somthing else for a change
however histroy shows that they are not good at anything else when they first started the were almost bankrup then they threw everything thay had into one last game and that was ff1 this sold really well and got them out of trouble and they have been riding the rpg train ever since