Video: Resident Evil Dropped Into Maniac Mansion

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Video: Resident Evil Dropped Into Maniac Mansion

Resident Evil and Maniac Mansion are two creepy games about mansions. Why not merge them?

YouTube user MajorNeese [http://www.youtube.com/user/MajorNeese] has developed a four part 8-bit video series that tells the entire story of the first Resident Evil as if it happened in the house, and with the graphics, from late-1980s LucasArts adventure game Maniac Mansion. Both games occur in mansions with strange goings-on, so it's a surprisingly tactful crossover.

MajorNeese used the original audio from Resident Evil, and yes, it was that bad when the game originally came out on the PlayStation in 1996. A lot of people seem to ask what things are, but that's understandable when you're in a weird rich guy's mansion and being attacked by zombies.

All of the enemies from Maniac Mansion's [http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-GameCube/dp/B0000657SP/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276197515&sr=1-5] Edison family pool instead of a flooded underground facility. The toothless-grin wearing Edison family also take on the roles of bosses from Resident Evil, which for some reason I find less creepy than their original forms. I would rather be eaten and mauled than tied to Nurse Edna's bed.

Not to spoil it or anything, but the story even ends with the characteristic Edison mansion explosion that we all know and love. Good times.

Parts 2-4 are below:

Via: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/maniac-mansion-resident-evil-point-click-decapitate-175559.phtml]

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
What's the intro credits music, Anyone know?

Nevermind, found it. Never actually played the much resi evil.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
Why does Jill find the Ashford twins' lullaby? Does that happen in Resi 1?

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Mutie said:
Yes. It is quite a faithful video.

And a reminder as to how magically ridiculous the original Resident Evil was.

Ah, memories.

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
"It was a huge snake... And also, poisonous!"

Ah, the good old Resident Evil 1 dialog. Hilariously bad as ever. Very nice vids though, very faithful to the game.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
JEBWrench said:
Mutie said:

Ah, memories.
I can't remember this at all!! It's driving me crazy! I must've complete all the different versions of Resi 1 about 72 times in total and at no point can I remember finding the Ashford Lullaby...!

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Mutie said:
JEBWrench said:
Mutie said:

Ah, memories.
I can't remember this at all!! It's driving me crazy! I must've complete all the different versions of Resi 1 about 72 times in total and at no point can I remember finding the Ashford Lullaby...!
Might've been a different tune then, but I could've sworn that a piano was involved at some point or another.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I've never played Maniac Mansion, so all this video does is remind me of how awesomely horrible the Resident Evil voice acting was. Somehow it seems even worse when I hear it like this.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
JEBWrench said:
Might've been a different tune then, but I could've sworn that a piano was involved at some point or another.
That was using sheet music to play the first movement of Beethoven's Sonata No.14 (Moonlight, as they call it) to open a secret door and recieve a golden emblem to be switched with the worn emblem in the dining room order to unlock the grandfather clock puzzel and gain access to the shield key to fight the giant snake, Yawn, in the attic. After which you recieve one of the hexagonal crests (Wind, I think) which unlock the back door.

Like I say, 72 times. Perhaps such wouldn't be the case if I had an acctual life...

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Bizarre, goofy, fun, and poor 8-bit graphics.

Gentlemen and ladies, I believe we have a winner.

"You were almost a Jill Sandwich."

Oh the intro to the original game was AWFUL.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats brilliant! hehe, nice work in mixing the two, and giving me a chuckle!

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Mutie said:
JEBWrench said:
That was using sheet music to play the first movement of Beethoven's Sonata No.14 (Moonlight, as they call it) to open a secret door and recieve a golden emblem to be switched with the worn emblem in the dining room order to unlock the grandfather clock puzzel and gain access to the shield key to fight the giant snake, Yawn, in the attic. After which you recieve one of the hexagonal crests (Wind, I think) which unlock the back door.

Like I say, 72 times. Perhaps such wouldn't be the case if I had an acctual life...
Ah, okay then. It's been a good ten years since I've played RE.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
JEBWrench said:
Ah, okay then. It's been a good ten years since I've played RE.
I went Resident Evil crazy about 3 years ago and bought all the games and panned em none stop. But that all changed when Resi 5 came out... oh the sorrow, the mind crippling sorrow...!

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
Omg this is epic.
Maniac Mansion gave me nightmares when I was a kid though, looking back I have no idea why although I guess I was reeeeeeeaaaal little.

dekuben

Jun 8, 2009
Some of the graphics were absolute dog shit.
They didn't look old school, they just looked like something made in flash.