Gabe Newell: Valve E3 Surprise Isn't Episode 3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Gabe Newell: Valve E3 Surprise Isn't Episode 3

If you'd been hoping that Valve's June 14th "surprise" would be an unexpected reveal of the long-dormant Half-Life 2: Episode 3, time to hope a little bit harder.

Not too long ago, Valve kicked the internet hype machine into a frenzy by announcing that it was unexpectedly canceling its Portal 2 E3 event - and replacing it with a "surprise." Naturally, this stirred the Valve fanboys into a frothing fury of excitement: What else could this surprise be but a glorious announcement of the seemingly-forgotten Episode 3?!

Well, I don't know what it is - but it's not Episode 3. And that "Freeman: June 14th" picture that's been floating around the tubes? It's fake.

Both of these were confirmed via no less a reputable source than Valve head honcho Gabe Newell, reports Halflife2.net [http://www.halflife2.net/2010/06/05/freeman-14th-picture-confirmed-fake-by-gabe/]. So sorry, people, time to take off your party hats and put the bubbly away - Episode 3 is still unlikely to see the light of day any time soon.

On the bright side, PC gamers will probably have a damn good year when both Episode 3 and Diablo III release in 2014.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
What could the surprise be now? Team Fortress 3? L4D3? Portal 4, a game so awesome it tore a hole in time (the same fate that befell Duke Nukem)? Maybe a brand new game!

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Hahahhahahahaha....hahaha....haaaaaa.

Why am I not surprised? Plus, you never know. Could be false-information on Gabe's part. But oh well.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
Sadface.... :(

But, seeing how this is Valve, I'm sure the surprise won't let us down.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
This is just a running gag, isn't it. Valve announces something big, OH SORRY IT ISN'T EPISODE 3. LOL.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Episode 3 has been dead ever since Lonbardi said Valve was going back to the monolithic style development program.
It's probably Half Life 3, or at least the next version of the engine, the one they've been hiring PS3 devs to build.

Then there's always Left 4 Dead 3.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
damnnit Gabe, really? No other sequel needs to be made for any of other Valve franchise

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
...I am so dissapointed and angry. Why won't they tell us anything regarding ep 3?

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Its Portal related. I am sure enough to think so. The letter that said this surprise was rather styled as if Glados wrote it, and you know she ALWAYS means what she says....

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Well, if it isn't Episode 3 or Portal 2, I'll be expecting something brand new.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
What could the surprise be now? Team Fortress 3? L4D3? Portal 4, a game so awesome it tore a hole in time (the same fate that befell Duke Nukem)? Maybe a brand new game!
I doubt we will be seeing a TF3 anytime soon. considering it took TF2 10 years of development hell before it saw the light of day.

Hell, by that logic we will be lucky to ever see HL3.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I'm so indifferent to anything besides Episode 3. Yeah, even towards Portal 2.

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
i am CONVINCED that the surprise is the new source Engine, because all the games of valve seem to be in a state of development that a new engine would make sense, cmon valve lets seee

Half life 3
Left 4 Dead 3
Team Fortress 3
Day of Defeat 3
Counter Strike: watchmacallit