Will Ice-T Be in Gears 3?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Will Ice-T Be in Gears 3?

Rapper and actor Tracy Morrow, better known to the world as Ice-T, has let it slip that he'll be making an appearance in the upcoming Gears of War 3 [http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/].

During an episode of the Ustream [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Av9t_u0iHU] broadcast, the Cop Killa revealed, one must presume accidentally, that he'll have a role in the upcoming game.

He immediately followed with "I didn't say that," but all the denial in the world doesn't mean much after a statement like that, especially when Ice-T is a known gaming enthusiast. There's also that whole Gears of War 3 conversation with CliffyB that was mentioned earlier, and it's not as though celebrity appearances in videogames is new and uncharted territory.

In fact, while some celebrity voice work is a complete waste (did we really need Lou Gossett Jr. as the voice of the Vortigaunts?) I'd say Ice-T is a pretty good choice for Gears 3. His penchant for shooting things is well known and his unique way with words would probably suit the game too. True or not, I've certainly heard worse ideas.

Gears of War 3, without or without Ice-T, is scheduled to come out on April 5, 2011, exclusively for the Xbox 360.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
If he did say that, makes him full of himself. God forbid a second Cole type character surfaces.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Assuming this is true then any hope for Gears 3 having the deep, rich story they have been promising since the first has been thrown out the window.

What would be the point in hiring somebody like Karen Traviss to be the writer and then sticking this moron into the game?

"It'd be a little more star power, you know what I'm saying," he told Bleszinski. "Put Ice-T on the box, that's a million sales right there."
If he truly did say that then I hope Cliffy B laughed and put the phone down on him or something.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
For once im hoping the game has another Carmine, just as long as its him.

Who wants to bet that if he is in it you will find some of his music in the game somewhere as more self-promotion?

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Miumaru said:
If he did say that, makes him full of himself. God forbid a second Cole type character surfaces.
He's a rapper of course he's full of himself. Your not a complete rapper unless you can pull of this image.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
long as they dont craft a char specially for him then its fine, maybe make him a back ground char or something

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
"Put Ice-T on the box, that's a million sales right there."

Elsa Ronningstam, associate clinical professor of psychology at Harvard Medical School and author of Identifying and Understanding the Narcissistic Personality says:
Referring to yourself in the third person creates distance between "I" and "he." So if you have an exaggerated view of how great you are, you could be using this distance to make yourself even bigger. Or, if you've achieved major success suddenly, using the third person could be a way to adjust to the bigger role that's been assigned to you. It's a way to enlarge yourself to fit that role.

TimbukTurnip

Jan 3, 2009
Great, a random egotistical rapper with a shitty name, just what I was always wanted in a game.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
I don't know, it would work quite well, if he dies in a horrible painfull way part of the way through, it would almost be worth all the hideous grandstanding he slobbers all over us...

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
If by appearance he meant voice acting, it's hardly the first time he's done that - he's the voice of the main character Agent Cain in Sanity: Aiken's Artifact, who is basically just Ice-T but with psionic superpowers. And not in the sense that you hear him talk a couple of times here or there, he had a bloody ton of dialog, some of it hilarious.

A very funny (and awesome!) game all around.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I am a fan of Ice-T, and if he did do an appearance in Gears of War 3, it would be a reason for me to play the game. Any rapper that can also pull off acting as well scores high in my book. He probably tried to retract his statement after he realized what a dick Cliff B can be. Or did it to stir the rumor pot. That's always good press.
tehroc said:
Miumaru said:
He's a rapper of course he's full of himself. Your not a complete rapper unless you can pull of this image.
And with what he has done in his career so far, I'd say he's entitled. But he isn't a dick about it like some other celebrities.
Legion said:
Assuming this is true then any hope for Gears 3 having the deep, rich story they have been promising since the first has been thrown out the window.

What would be the point in hiring somebody like Karen Traviss to be the writer and then sticking this moron into the game?

"It'd be a little more star power, you know what I'm saying," he told Bleszinski. "Put Ice-T on the box, that's a million sales right there."
If he truly did say that then I hope Cliffy B laughed and put the phone down on him or something.
Any hope for Gears 3 having a deep, rich story goes out the window without his help. Don't forget this is Epic we are talking about. The only time they had anything close to a story was Unreal, and that was just deep and barely a story. But good damn fun. The last time they tried to put a story into a game, it completely ruined their Unreal Tournament franchise. Whatever Karen Traviss comes up with, the rest of the crew will muck it up in favor of a blatant shooter-fest. Which is all Gears of War is supposed to be, and what Epic makes.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Whatever Karen Traviss comes up with, the rest of the crew will muck it up in favor of a blatant shooter-fest. Which is all Gears of War is supposed to be, and what Epic makes.
It is what Epic makes, but not what they try and make. Look at their advertisements, their books on the series and their video documentaries. They try on all fronts to make Gears more than just a shooter but simply cannot pull it off due to poor dialogue and the inability to translate it all into the games themselves.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
I hope so. Just for the lulz.

I think games need to get back to fun for its own sake, games are getting too serious IMO.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
khaimera said:
I hope so. Just for the lulz.

I think games need to get back to fun for its own sake, games are getting too serious IMO.
You should really track down a copy of Sanity: Aiken's Artifact [http://pc.ign.com/articles/161/161237p1.html] for an excellent example of both a fun game that certainly doesn't take itself very seriously and what Ice-T's contributions to a Gears of War game might be like.