Sam & Max Team Tackles Jurassic Park

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Sam & Max Team Tackles Jurassic Park

Telltale Games is working on a new episodic series of Jurassic Park titles. Wait, when did the 1990s come back?
Telltale Games has made a name for itself by delivering "seasons" of quality adventure games, delivered in a series of relatively short episodess. Some of their more popular games have included Sam & Max, Monkey Island, and Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. This month's issue of Game Informer, however, reveals that the studio's next big project is a game based on the Jurassic Park movies.

Apparently Telltale has hammered out a deal with NBC Universal to create new series of episodic games based on various IPs owned by the entertainment company. As a result, the first game out of this deal will be based on the Jurassic Park film series. More details will probably be revealed at E3, but it seems safe to assume that this will be another round of episodic adventure games.

Dan Connors, CEO of Telltale, makes it sound like the game will be a step in a new direction for the company, which has always used humor in its storytelling. "For Jurassic Park, we will leverage Telltale's expertise in storytelling and game design to deliver on the tension and drama of the series creating the ultimate cinematic adventure," he said when the game was announced.

Jurassic Park seems to be the series that NBC Universal just won't let die. It's been nine years since the last film was released in theaters, and there's still no word on Jurassic Park4 (even though it's been in the works since 2003). It's strange that NBC believes we're suddenly in need of another game based on the franchise, let alone an adventure game. One would think a game relying on action, suspense, or crazy over-the-top action would be a better match.

NBC's got some great shows in its lineup that would work really well as an adventure game laced with humor, such as Eureka and Warehouse 13, as well as countless movies that Telltale's style is appropriate for. Maybe this is a "trial-by-fire" kind of deal for NBC to get a feel for Telltale before it starts working on other, fresher, IPs. We can only hope.

Source: <a href=http://www.examiner.com/x-46617-Chicago-Console-Game-Examiner~y2010m6d8-Telltale-creating-episodic-Jurassic-Park-game>Examiner

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I can't see this working, judging from the style of their previous games.

Where's JP:OG2???

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
This is going to an intresting new direction for them...could be hilarious XD

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I Remember the Jurassic park game that came out for...what was it...the genesis? I Loved it.

However, I as only like 7 then, it didn't take a lot for me to be excited.

Yay reboot?

Add in some Sam and Max and it shalt be epic.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
If this is good, I will be very happy. There is a dearth of good games with dinosaurs in them.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
vansau said:
Maybe this is a "trial-by-fire" kind of deal for NBC to get a feel for Telltale before it starts working on other, fresher, IPs. We can only hope.
More like Trial By Velociraptor *Guffaw*

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
dekkarax said:
JP4 probably will never happen now that Michael Critchon is dead.
Actually, I'm pretty sure they said they're gonna go ahead with the project and it'll be released in 2012 or something like that.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Deofuta said:
I Remember the Jurassic park game that came out for...what was it...the genesis? I Loved it.

Yay reboot?

I remember that game as being hard as hell, if we're thinking of the same game. There was a prison level that I never passed.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
khaimera said:
Deofuta said:

Yay reboot?

I remember that game as being hard as hell, if we're thinking of the same game. There was a prison level that I never passed.
Was it a top down view when outside and an fps when you went inside?

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
Jurassic Park and Back to the Future, it seems. A deal with Universal was made.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5559234/telltale-takes-us-back-to-the-future

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Hurm... somehow this stirred up the idea of a Heavy Rain-esque game based on the JP franchise in my head. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
It would be great if you got to play as one of those little dinosaurs, with the aim of the game being chasing screaming women around then biting off their noses! Wait...

Hopefully it won't just be like the films 'oh Em GEE, Dino-SOOOOORES!'. Although a man being eaten on the toilet would be acceptable.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Deofuta said:
khaimera said:
Deofuta said:

Yay reboot?

No, I think it was a side scroller where you played as the dinosaurs. Must be a different game.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
I hear they're also working on a back to the future game series. Should be good, Telltale are the only company that seem to "get" episodic gaming, and baring the poor wallace and gromit games all have been good.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
khaimera said:
Deofuta said:
khaimera said:
Deofuta said:

Yay reboot?

No, I think it was a side scroller where you played as the dinosaurs. Must be a different game.
There was a playstation title that had multiple kinds of games in it; one where you played as a human and it was a side scrolling shooter type affair, one was like a beat-em-up but with dinosaurs, and the other was a side scrolling eating type game where you were a small dino and had to grow bigger etc.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Have some official confirmation with your article. [http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-629] Back to the Future's first up to get a season. Press release here. [http://www.telltalegames.com/nbcuni]

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Well, you know what this means: Tresspasser, the point and click adventure. You heard it here first.