New Kingdom Hearts "Recoded" for DS

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
New Kingdom Hearts "Recoded" for DS

The mysterious new Kingdom Hearts title teased earlier this week is apparently Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded, a DS remake of a Japanese mobile phone game.

Remember that news about a new Kingdom Hearts title that would be announced at E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101193-New-Kingdom-Hearts-Coming-to-E3]? I'm just going to quote myself for a second, here: "It's possible that the new reveal will be Kingdom Hearts: Recoded, which was accidentally 'announced' by actor Phil Snyder, set to voice Jiminy Cricket."

As it turns out, past-me was right on the money (intertemporal high-five!) - Square-Enix revealed its E3 lineup today, and in the list was Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded for the Nintendo DS. While all we have to go on is the name and that it will be developed by 358/2 Days [http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Hearts-358-Days-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001TD6SK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276194828&sr=8-1] developer h.a.n.d., it's almost certain that this will be a more action-y remake of the Japan-only mobile phone title Kingdom Hearts: Coded.

Now, when I say "mobile phone game," I don't mean Snake or even something like Canabalt - Japan takes its mobile phone titles more seriously than us in the West, after all. Coded was apparently a full-fledged spinoff with supposedly PSP-quality visuals, so it's not like we're getting a short, 2-hour experience for our money.

But even so, I find it hard to get excited about this announcement. It's not that I don't like Kingdom Hearts, but from what I understand of Coded, the game has players revisiting (virtual recreations of the) worlds from the first game in order to fix bugs and set things right. How many times have we been to those worlds by now? Re:Chain of Memories [http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Hearts-Playstation-2/dp/B000066TS5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276194950&sr=1-1], Coded, and now Re:Coded? That's five games essentially covering the same ground. That is some damn well-treaded ground by this point.

That said, it's not all a letdown for Kingdom Hearts fans, since we'll also get to see the English version of Final Fantasy Versus XIII [http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Hearts-Birth-Sleep-Sony-PSP/dp/B002I0GZ5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276194991&sr=1-1] and Final Fantasy Agito XIII are nowhere to be found.

(Via Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/06/the-3rd-birthday/])

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Must.Get.DS.

Seriously,I want a DS. Both for this game and 356/2 Days...So I'm somewhat of a KH fanboy,sue me.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I guess it's too much to hope that they'll ever announce a DS version of Birth By Sleep, amirite?

Fusoiya

Mar 6, 2010
Fuck yeah Imma get this one.

And from what I saw on the phone edition it looked pretty impressive.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Korten12 said:
wasnt this on the phone and is a puzzle game?
Yes, and it was a Japanese release only. So seeing it for DS in other territories is good, at least, I think so. But I still want Birth By Sleep, godsdammit! I just don't see why I should have to buy a PSP just for that when every other KH handheld game has been DS or it's predecessors, including this one... :(

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
John Funk said:
I'm just going to quote myself for a second, here: "It's possible that the new reveal will be Kingdom Hearts: Recoded, which was accidentally 'announced' by actor Phil Snyder, set to voice Jiminy Cricket."

As it turns out, past-me was right on the money (intertemporal high-five!)
You then went on to admit that it wouldn't make sense in your mind. Just saying.

Personally, I agree with the general sentiments. Unless it's priced no more than $19.99, I'll probably give it a pass.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats cool, so now we can have a go at it too! Not bad, not bad.

Now only they did that for the FF game on mobile

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
I'm a fan of the KH games in general, but revisiting the same world with puzzle-based gameplay really didn't do it for me when in was called Chain of Memories.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
John Funk said:
That said, it's not all a letdown for Kingdom Hearts fans, since we'll also get to see the English version of Birth By Sleep at the show. Square-Enix will also be showing The 3rd Birthday, a PSP follow-up to PS1 cult hit Parasite Eve, though Kingdom Hearts Versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts Agito XIII are nowhere to be found.

Don't you mean Final Fantasy Agito XIII? Or did I miss somthing?

Anyway, I was never intrested in Coded (mostly because I've never been intrested in Mobile phone games), but on the DS, I guess it'll be fun. Maybe.
I want 3, blast it.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
w@rew0lf said:
ANNNNDDD Nomura still continues to be dead to me. KH III or GTFO.
If you buy Final Fantasy Versus XIII.Then he might make it.It all depends on the sales of Versus XIII if number 3 gets made or not.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Uninterested. Call me when a proper sequel comes out. I really could care less about playing bad portable titles that try to make sense out of the jumbled mess of plot lines the writers pulled out their asses in KH2. I'm actually surprised they haven't made a KH3 yet. It would probably make a lot more money than these oddly titled portable games.

w@rew0lf

Banned User
Jan 11, 2009
RanD00M said:
w@rew0lf said:
ANNNNDDD Nomura still continues to be dead to me. KH III or GTFO.
If you buy Final Fantasy Versus XIII.Then he might make it.It all depends on the sales of Versus XIII if number 3 gets made or not.

If it's bad. I will have a guitar ninja showdown to the death with him.

[sub]Like so.[/sub]

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Brain_Cleanser said:
John Funk said:
That said, it's not all a letdown for Kingdom Hearts fans, since we'll also get to see the English version of Birth By Sleep at the show. Square-Enix will also be showing The 3rd Birthday, a PSP follow-up to PS1 cult hit Parasite Eve, though Kingdom Hearts Versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts Agito XIII are nowhere to be found.

Don't you mean Final Fantasy Agito XIII? Or did I miss somthing?

Anyway, I was never intrested in Coded (mostly because I've never been intrested in Mobile phone games), but on the DS, I guess it'll be fun. Maybe.
I want 3, blast it.
In fact, I did. Whoops, got some wires crossed.

w@rew0lf

Banned User
Jan 11, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Uninterested. Call me when a proper sequel comes out. I really could care less about playing bad portable titles that try to make sense out of the jumbled mess of plot lines the writers pulled out their asses in KH2. I'm actually surprised they haven't made a KH3 yet. It would probably make a lot more money than these oddly titled portable games.
My theory is that Nomura seems to have a problem with obtaining vast amounts of money. I think he enjoys the hateful eyes of his series's fans and not enjoying wealth. It nourishes him.