Spanish Judges Liken File Sharing to Lending Books

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Spanish Judges Liken File Sharing to Lending Books

Judges in Spain have dismissed a case against four men arrested in 2005 for running a popular file sharing site, saying that file sharing is essentially the same as the age-old practice of lending books.

The file sharing site CVCDGO.com went live in 2004 and soon found itself facing complaints of copyright infringement. EGEDA [http://www.egeda.es/EGE_ING_default.asp], Spain's Audio-Visual Producers' Rights Management Association, alleged that the site allowed members to illegally download movies on peer-to-peer networks and that it made money through copyright violations because the advertiser-supported site had brought in roughly 11 million hits while it was up. Following an investigation, police shut it down and arrested its four founders in 2005.

The case had dragged on ever since but has now finally come to a resolution. A panel of three judges has declared that, because the site did not actually host the files and didn't make money directly as a result of copyright infringement, no actual crime took place. The decision cannot be appealed.

"Since ancient times there has been the loan or sale of books, movies, music and more," the judges ruled. "The difference now is mainly on the medium used - previously it was paper or analog media and now everything is in a digital format which allows a much faster exchange of a higher quality and also with global reach through the Internet."

The ruling was a message to the government that there is a "red line that should not be crossed," said Carlos Sanchez Almeida, a lawyer for the defendants. "The judges have taken a stand for freedom on the internet."

Source: TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/judges-liken-p2p-to-the-ancient-practice-of-lending-books-100608/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20Torrentfreak%20%28Torrentfreak%29]

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Oh man, I would definitely buy these judges a beer if I lived in Spain.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
What an interesting take on it. Kudos to these Spanish judges, there may yet be some people in authority who see sense.

Angry Caterpillar

Feb 26, 2010
Well God damn it.

Frankly, I don't see it as lending books, unless you could magically xerox an entire book in five minutes indefinitely for all of your friends whenever you felt like it.

icypenguin117

May 12, 2009
huzzah for sense!! Over herer in sunny England, you can get arrested without trial over here if suspected of downloading anything deemed illegal...

Apr 28, 2008
AjimboB said:
Wow, I really don't know what to say. Who new the judges in Spain were so logical? I guess they've come a long way from the Spanish Inquisition.
Who would've expected?

Feb 13, 2008
Very interesting outcome. Especially if it crosses to ELSPA and PRS, given their charges for such infringements are monstrous.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
While I like internet freedom I don't really see the parallel to lending books as you still keep your copy of it, and it is sent to lots of different people who don't give it back.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Not entirely sure where I stand on this issue, but I can see the judge's viewpoint. Heck, most of the things I download (pirate, if you must) I'm only trying to get a look at before I decide to slap down my money for it. Then I usually delete it within a day, and sometimes I buy it. No fuss, no muss.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Ah yes, that bastion of internet freedom... wait, Spain? Huh, awesome. Good weather there... I guess I'll go brush up on my Spanish ;)

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Hm. Tough call. I can see their point, and in this case I have to agree with their judgement. The guys weren't doing anything that wrong themselves (legally, anyways).

However, how often do you lend out your books or DVDs? Handful of times, I assume. With file sharing, you're talking thousands of times so the impact could be greater. It's not as black and white as they said, and books are different to DVDs. I don't think I've seen a book that has told me I'm not allowed to lend it out, but I'm pretty sure that a DVD has (or was that hiring? Hm).

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Irridium said:
AjimboB said:
Wow, I really don't know what to say. Who new the judges in Spain were so logical? I guess they've come a long way from the Spanish Inquisition.
Who would've expected?
NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

[sub]someone had to say it...[/sub]

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Irridium said:
Where do these judges live? I wish to send them pies.
Forget pies, we should get these guys steaks for having commmon bloody sense.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I'm torn, really.
On the one hand, awesome for freedom and all, on the other hand, artists can't make money off of things only a few people buy and the rest lend... or can they?

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
While I like internet freedom I don't really see the parallel to lending books as you still keep your copy of it, and it is sent to lots of different people who don't give it back.
Then again, there's plenty of books I've read without paying for. Sure the physical copy's no longer in my possession but if I wanted it I could go and get it again for no cost. That's practically the point of libraries - to make it so you don't have to pay for books!

Also, just like with books the vast majority of games you won't be constantly playing, so having a 'shared' copy doesn't equate to having it installed and playing it constantly 24/7. You might play it once then leave the setup files knocking around somewhere - your own library, as it were, or like your uninstalled steam games list. Only less licensed.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
I'm torn, really.
On the one hand, awesome for freedom and all, on the other hand, artists can't make money off of things only a few people buy and the rest lend... or can they?

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.
Just think for a second about how libraries work - and yet writers keep going ;)