Green Lantern Sequel Already in the Works

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Green Lantern Sequel Already in the Works

The wheels have started to turn for a second Green Lantern movie, before the first is even finished.

Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment must be pretty confident about the performance of the upcoming Green Lantern, as a sequel is already being planned. Warner has hired Greg Berlanti, Michael Green and Marc Guggenheim, all of whom worked on the script for the first movie, to write a treatment for the second.

The trio will also write a treatment for a Flash movie, and will work on the script for one of the two movies, although which one is currently undecided.

It's unusual for a studio to move so quickly on a franchise, but Warner Bros. has experience in dealing with super-successful franchises like Harry Potter, so what seems weird to us is probably a very sensible move on its part.

Green Lantern is scheduled for release June 2011.

Source: CBR [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26619]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Talking about optimistic much? They must have alot of faith in it

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
Isn't the first one a full year from release? This is far too early for a sequel. They better damn hope the first is a hit.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
THE FLASH?!

Ahh...He's my favorite DC superhero.

Fuck this Green Lantern shit. Dump all that money into The Flash!

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Well, it's not like we're not living the the 'Age of Sequels' anyway, so whatever. And superhero comicbooks are nothing if not an endless series of sequels, so it's a natural fit in that way.

Let's just hope the original will be as worthy of a sequel as they seem to believe.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
THE FLASH?!

I dunno, there isn't really all that much you can do with The Flash. He just moves fast, really. Works fine in a comic, but in a movie it would either need to be almost constantly in bullet time or the main character would be moving too fast for the audience to see.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Guggenheim and Green are pretty decent comic and television writers. Let's all hope they didn't just copy and paste an existing story arc from the comics, and called it a day.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Yay, I guess? Seems a bit over-eager, but I guess it's better that the sequal be planned early rather than just being there to leech off the success of an original. More likely to get a satisfying continuation of the story (in theory).

Probably won't see either unless dragged there by a group of friends or if the first one is a major success anyway, I don't know enough about the Green Lantern to be excited.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
So are we heading towards a Justice League movie at some point, to compete with the avengers movie? As soon as either franchise says 'multi-verse', I'm out.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
LawlessSquirrel said:
Probably won't see either unless dragged there by a group of friends or if the first one is a major success anyway, I don't know enough about the Green Lantern to be excited.
Do yourself a favor, and watch JLA: New Frontier. If the Green Lantern story doesn't interest you, at least it has Batman at the peak of badassery. That, and you'll know pretty much what to expect from the first Green Lantern movie.
<youtube=3JlbHlJ4I6I>

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Bit overzealous, are we, DC?

EDIT: Also, CC, I thought Green Lantern: First Flight was a good introduction to Green Lantern as a character (at least the Hal Jordan version).

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
THE FLASH?!

THE GREEN LANTERN?!

Fuck this Flash shit. Dump all that money into The Green Lantern!

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
LawlessSquirrel said:
Do yourself a favor, and watch JLA: New Frontier. If the Green Lantern story doesn't interest you, at least it has Batman at the peak of badassery. That, and you'll know pretty much what to expect from the first Green Lantern movie.
<youtube=3JlbHlJ4I6I>
I dunno if you dunno, but GL has his own;