Brand-New StarCraft II Commercial Leaked Early

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Brand-New StarCraft II Commercial Leaked Early

As it turns out, you don't have to watch the NBA finals tonight to catch the awesome brand-spanking-new StarCraft II commercial after all.

Earlier today, we learned that Blizzard would be airing a new StarCraft II commercial in a surprising venue: The fourth game in the NBA finals between the Lakers and Celtics, held tonight in Boston.

Well, somebody at Blizzard must have hit the button early, because the video is out, and you can watch it right above this text. Maybe a third or so of the footage is stuff we've seen before, but the rest is brand new from Blizzard's legendary cinematics department, and let's not mince words: It looks amazing. It's out on July 27th, and I have no doubt that it will be epic.

Man, I hadn't realized how much I'd missed hearing that snake-like bastard Arcturus Mengsk speak until now. Let's hope they can come up with some reason for him to say "Macintosh" in the actual game.

Holy crap guys, I cannot wait. The lack of beta has me in SC2 withdrawl.

(Thanks, sune26!)

Edit: The video has been taken down by the user. Hang on, we'll try to find another one - please, PM us if you have a new one.

Double Edit: It's back, courtesy of Escapist forumite Eruanno!

Triple Edit: Gone again. Gee, Activision, you don't LIKE free publicity of an excellently made commercial? We'll try to scrounge another one up - if not, it'll likely be everywhere after it airs during the game.

Quadruple Edit: And it's back again!

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Well, I was going to buy these anyways, and the awesome commercial just furthers my anticipation.
I'm still playing Starcraft to prepare me for the badassery.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
The woman at 0:12 seconds looks exactly like the Eldar Farseer from the Dawn of War II cinematic intro, except with different armour.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Cool trailer, but what the hell? Is it even allowed to say that obligatory phrase about the rating("Rated T for Teen", in this case) so fast that it's almost impossible to understand?

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Disaster Button said:
The woman at 0:12 seconds looks exactly like the Eldar Farseer from the Dawn of War II cinematic intro, except with different armour.
...You mean Sarah Kerrigan?
Because that HAS to be Kerrigan, right? Alone, fighting a gazillion zerg, left by mr. Jerkface Mengsk, later to be swooped up into a nice little egg.

Goddamn I love Kerrigan. She's one of the best video game villains ever.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Heh, you can always trust Blizzard to have some fantastic cutscenes. I'm still torn as to whether I want to get it right away and then get the zerg/protoss campaign expansions or if I just want to wait for the inevitable battle chest that's going to contain them all. On the one hand, I loves me some SC II and I really want to get better (I really suck right now), but on the other my bank account would like me more if I waited. Decisions, decisions...

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Disaster Button said:
I thought I had seen her before 8)

CGI is CGI is CGI... I am going to get it but is anyone else fed up with the look of games sold almost entirely on their CGI? Not saying this one is. But it's not like we know ANYTHING about the SP.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Huh I still don't belive it. Bliz actually releasing SCII.
Great little commercial though.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Eruanno said:
Disaster Button said:
Because that HAS to be Kerrigan, right? Alone, fighting a gazillion zerg, left by mr. Jerkface Mengsk, later to be swooped up into a nice little egg.

Yeah, that has to be Kerrigan. She's in the Ghost outfit as seen by Nova, and if you look closely, the face is almost identical to the Infested Kerrigan face we see a close-up of earlier.

Dommius

Aug 8, 2009
Yay for starcraft! Also, a real release date from blizz! Now if they would give me my diablo 3 already i'd be perfectly happy with them.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Eruanno said:
Disaster Button said:

Possibly maybe perhaps? I don't really follow Starcraft, but Funk seems to agree with you so yeah.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Did he say "Macintarh"?

OT: This looks good, but I have to admit, I'm far from a fan of RTSes, and the Starcraft 2 beta did nothing to sway my opinion, so I'm not liklely to go into anywhere on July 27th to get it for PC or Macintarh.
The game would probably make my coal-powered computer explode anyway.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Whatever you might think of Blizzard's products, they sure as hell know how to make cinematics.

I probably won't play SC2 though. I failed too much at the original Starcraft, people got too big of a leap ahead of me if I ever want to get half-decent at it's multiplayer.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Man, I want a 3rd person shooter/first person that looks exactly like those CGI, sadly I'll have to wait for Crysis 2 for that type of crap.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm so torn about buying SC2, on the one hand, Star Frikkin Craft 2. On the other, if it goes beyond my acceptable DRM limit. I hope it doesn't do that.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
John Funk said:
Eruanno said:
Disaster Button said:

Yeah, that has to be Kerrigan. She's in the Ghost outfit as seen by Nova, and if you look closely, the face is almost identical to the Infested Kerrigan face we see a close-up of earlier.
I have to say my first thought was actually "Woah, wait! Is that Nova?!" but then my mind caught up with me as I realized Nova is a blonde. (Not that it would hurt if Nova was a character in SC2...)