Red Steel 2 Trailer Reveals New Art Style

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Red Steel 2 Trailer Reveals New Art Style

A leaked trailer for Ubisoft's upcoming Red Steel 2 shows off the game's new Wii MotionPlus controls and impressive art style.

Someone at Ubisoft has some 'splaining to do. Yesterday a trailer for Red Steel 2, the recently announced swashbuckling and pistol shooting wagglefest sequel to the Wii launch title, was leaked to the internet.

Most striking about the brief clip, which stars one of those super-hot models "playing" the game like in every trailer for a Wii game, is the game's new art style. When Ubisoft announced the game last week, they teased that it would have "an artistic style and flair created just for Wii," which we took to be no more than PR talk, but they have a real case here. Sporting a bold, cartoony style (reminds me of No More Heroes if it had actually looked good), Red Steel 2 could be one of the best looking titles on the Wii, if the trailer isn't pulling our legs.

Gameplay-wise the trailer doesn't say much, aside from that there'll be sword swinging and shooting (duh). It makes it look like the game has genuine 1:1 controls - at one point the hunky player starts twirling his Wiimote like a fencer and the in-game character does the same motion. We'll see how this actually works in-game (and whether it looks as good as the trailer suggests) when we can get our hands on it.

Finally, you might notice a pre-trailer snippet of info refers to the clip as the "Destination PlayStation Trailer," which makes no sense since the game's a Wii exclusive (or is it?). CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=214243] speculated, after learning that the trailer was for internal use only, that Ubisoft intended to use the trailer at the Destination PlayStation event, which was earlier this year. It probably doesn't mean there's going to be a PlayStation version. Probably.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Is it just me, or does seeing this make anyone else want another Chakan game?

Must be the hat.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Isn't this pretty much the same thing they did when RS1 was being developed and the result was too much hype that couldn't deliver? By all means this looks great but is it just meaningless hype, especially considering that it was "leaked" out?

Not meaning to put a damper on it, I want this game to be amazing considering that I really liked the first game which was only slightly let down by poor controls and a couple of questionable battle mechanics.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
that actor looked like he was having fun. Clearly his Wii wasnt plugged into anything.

Also, I never realised just how small the things are (assuming thats it to the left of the TV screen)

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I don't have a Wii (but I can wee my name in the snow) but if the games start to have less suck than I might get the darn thing.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
In b4 Wii hat0rz!

I kid, I'm looking forward to this, because it has been off the radar for so long, and the concept looks interesting (what are we calling this? 'Dustpunk'?) and forever seems reminiscent of Trigun to me, which is just great.

Let's just hope they can deliver. I didn't hate the first title like 98% of the population did, quite the contrary, but anyone could tell it needed a ton of work.

Oh and I'll comment on it properly when I see some actual gameplay footage. Ubisoft seem to like doing things like this rather than actually showing us real footage. Roll on E3!

EDIT: Also, I hope this isn't what they were going to show at E3. Or really, I should say I hope not unless they can rustle up some gameplay footage by then. Here's hoping, who knows, maybe Ubisoft aren't the scum of the earth after all.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Darkrai said:
I can't wait. I loved Red Steel. Too bad there won't be any multiplayer.
I am rather annoyed at this fact also. The only solace I can take in this is that the single player 'should' be solid, as they have had no other distractions like multiplayer, or online components (although online shouldn't be ruled out, I'm just doubtful).

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Darkrai said:
I can't wait. I loved Red Steel. Too bad there won't be any multiplayer.
I am rather annoyed at this fact also. The only solace I can take in this is that the single player 'should' be solid, as they have had no other distractions like multiplayer, or online components (although online shouldn't be ruled out, I'm just doubtful).
Hopefully Ubisoft gives it at least online Multiplayer in the future

Charlie_Brown

Jan 16, 2009
Video is down :(

IGN link: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/867131/red-steel-project-untitled-sequel/videos/redsteel2_trl_int_050409.html

The video does imply it's 1 - 1 control, but if it actually were I think they'd be shouting it from the rooftops.