Red Dead Redemption

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Sounds like someones the perfect game would be a mix of STALKER and GTA San Andreas. Now thats a realism gamer's wet dream.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
I don't really like health/tiredness/hunger/etc meters in games. That's why I don't like the Sims. It's a game. They're not meant to get hungry then whine about it in clipart form.

I agree about the horse thing - if your horse dies or runs off I reckon you should have to steal a horse or whatever. If they wanted, they could put your 'deed' horse outside the nearest save house, but only then do you get it.

Paradukes

Jul 6, 2009
With any luck (read: with some seriously unbelievable luck and altruism on Rockstar's part), when the game gets its inevitable crappy port to the PC, they'll add mod support and let people add that sort of thing by themselves. I gotta admit, it would be fantastic, especially seeing as that's the sort of thing I already enjoy in Fallout 3 (with mods).

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
I enjoy Red Dead Redemption, but I totally agree. That is actualy the real reason for a lot of old west crime, and it woudld be a great mechanic that would make all of the money gaining minigames and quests much more relevant. Good idea Yahtzee.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
afaceforradio said:
I don't really like health/tiredness/hunger/etc meters in games. That's why I don't like the Sims. It's a game. They're not meant to get hungry then whine about it in clipart form.
I agree, though I think some modifications to the current statistics would justify a survival idea. Food could restore health, so greater meals restore more health. Water/food combined may restore the "quick-shot" meter and resting somewhere instantly refills these meters.

I'm kind of mixed on the "hunger" system as Roguelike games do that a lot. Now Roguelike games used that as an interesting feature by giving the character some advantages in what they eat, such as getting the ability to sense living creatures telepathically if eating a floating eyeball. I'm not sure how to incorporate that idea into "Red Dead Redemption" but if the protagonist may get some bonus in eating particular meals, I think that may justify the "hunger" system for me.

Biffy Cakeo

May 24, 2010
Referring to the start of the topic. We may have not been able too hunt before but our cavemen ancestors certainly couldn't, say, drive a car(well).

lifestorm2

Mar 28, 2004
Best article I've seen you write, Yahtzee.

And best means the one I find the least amount of disagreement with; you're less of a jerk nowadays, that might be a bad thing.

Old Hat

Apr 20, 2010
I think the best way to improve Red Dead Redemption would simply be to get rid of the regenerating health/dead-eye and intantly respawining horses. If you had a health meter then there'd be an actual reason to buy food, and there'd actually be a reason to steal horses if there weren't an infinite number of them just waiting for you to whistle for them.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I do actually like the idea of the 'survival' thing.

While some people might complain "I want a game, not real life", a Western survival would be a real life that we don't know - and I think putting myself in the shoes of another life is actually quite exciting, just as living our lives for those people might be interesting for them.

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
Being able to turn off the survival mechanic would be important. I'd think it'd have the same potential for continual micromanagement annoyance as getting called to go play pool with your cousin over and over in GTA IV.

On the other hand, if you can turn it off at any time, and you ever do, you lose the immersive quality of it. Perhaps if it was a mild mechanic that only required occasional attention, like working out at the gym in San Andreas.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
When I heard of the Fallout new vegas Realism option, this would be exactly the kind of thing I'd envision. In games where wilderness plays a big part, having to worry about survival is a great way of making it more interesting, or strengthening the moral choice business.

Omega V

Apr 21, 2010
Brilliant article! such survival mechanics are sorely needed, and would surely enrich the game.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
afaceforradio said:

I agree about the horse thing - if your horse dies or runs off I reckon you should have to steal a horse or whatever. If they wanted, they could put your 'deed' horse outside the nearest save house, but only then do you get it.
I totally agree with this. After years of playing old-style RPGs, I have decided there are few things less fun than having to eat and drink manually in a game to keep playing.

That said, I guess I wouldn't have a problem with the carrot approach rather than the stick. The more recent games reward eating and drinking (especially self-cooked) with stat boosts. Maybe a better stamina, a health boost, increased dead-eye regen or something like that would be a good way to go?

I can't express to you how much I HATE being forced to go looking for food and drink though. That's not why I play games. It's been done to death over a decade a go. It blew chunks. Don't ever EVER bring it back.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Old Hat said:
I think the best way to improve Red Dead Redemption would simply be to get rid of the regenerating health/dead-eye and intantly respawining horses. If you had a health meter then there'd be an actual reason to buy food, and there'd actually be a reason to steal horses if there weren't an infinite number of them just waiting for you to whistle for them.
This sounds simple enough and basically the same theme in terms of changes. That said, it's not quite the same: say you're an expert gunner and manage to go for long periods without taking any damage at all. So because you never get shot, you never get hungry? I'm not sure that's how it's supposed to work...

I dunno, it'd be an interesting mechanic to check out - the survival mode proposed in the article, that is - at the least. A toggle might be too tempting to flick it off whenever I got to starving in the middle of nowhere, though. Instead maybe have it as a choice at the start a la Diablo's Hardcore mode: you can't turn it on or off after you've begun a game, but you can choose to have it or skip it before then. Yeah it is a little annoying to restart a game if you find you don't like the mechanic or if you're wishing you had it, but I think that minor annoyance would be better than walking around with an Easy Mode button just begging to be pushed.

Also, if someone who has never played RDR might make a suggestion on the subject, maybe the horse should inherit this as well. Obviously the horse's survival requirements would require less frequent attention than those of its rider, but it shouldn't be neglected entirely. Tired horses run slower and are more prone to collapse/injury/death from sheer exhaustion, after all.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
I went through about 6 copies of the Mouse Trap game as a kid. Parents bought it once, and then returned it 5 times or so.

Every time it was missing at least one piece. EVERY TIME. I did manage to build different parts of the trap each iteration though.

Argh. I wasn't more then 7 or so, and I'm still angry about that damn game. And yeah, I didn't see the point in the "game" part of it when you could just build the Rube Goldberg trap.

As far as RDR. I haven't played yet, but watched my roommate run around a bit doing quests. I asked him if he's killed an entire town yet, and he said the game didn't really reward being an outlaw at all, so he didn't bother. Such a sad state of affairs when you can't feel good for killing the idiot wounded woman out in the middle of nowhere who refuses to go back to town for medicine, but is happy to have you fetch it for her.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
I like the way you think Yahtzee, I've been doing some thinking on games Ideas I'd like to develop if I ever become a games developer, and if implemented well hunger mechanics and stuff like that could make for some interesting concepts(strictly in single player of course),as long as they're all about making the game more engaging and less about padding it out

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Basically, games should re-implement man-vs.-nature (with a dash of man-vs.-himself) mechanics that were once ubiquitous. I agree - although, I also like the suggestion that there be a way to turn off these mechanics.