Rumor: New Zelda is Open World

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: New Zelda is Open World

Are Zelda's dungeons a thing of the past? Well, according to the rumors, yes, they are.

Legend of Zelda fan site Zelda Informer [http://www.zeldainformer.com/2010/06/breaking-news-latest-zelda-wii-rumors-confirmed.php], has posted a bunch of rumors about the upcoming Zelda game for the Wii, that it says it is "99.99%" sure are genuine.

The biggest rumor is that the game's dungeons will no longer necessarily be separate from the open world, with a much smoother gradation between the two. There will apparently be some dungeons that won't have bosses at the end of them, as well as boss monsters in the open world. Other rumors say that the game will have no subtitle, and will just be called The Legend of Zelda. The game is also rumored to be set hundreds of years before Ocarina of Time [http://www.gamefly.com/game/gamecube/Legend-of-Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time/105515/] and will show the creation of the Master Sword.

The rumors apparently originate from a German translator working in Kyoto who was helping Eiji Aonuma with his E3 speech. The details are supposedly lifted from the first page, and made their way on to a German fan site, then to another German fan site and then, finally, to Zelda Informer.

I have to be honest; my skepticism meter is in the red, and I'm taking this with a sizable pinch of salt. Nintendo's E3 press conference takes place tomorrow morning, so keep reading to find out if there's any truth to these rumors.

Source: Zelda Informer [http://www.zeldainformer.com/2010/06/breaking-news-latest-zelda-wii-rumors-confirmed.php] via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/14/rumor-zelda-wii-details-out-of-germany/]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
well I am a bit more exicted now... but not happy about the dumbing down... unless if miyamoto meant control wise...

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Open world? Could work especially considering how open LoZ:TP was, but there's a part of me that likes having dungeons seperated from everything else. The sword part has been a continual rumour since the picture ws released last year, but I really hope its true.

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
I can't wait, I may even have to dust off my Wii to play it.

Hmmm taken out of context that might not sound right.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
OPEN WORLD! Grand Theft Epona, brutal legend of Zelda, red zeldead redeption. I could go all day people

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Nooo!!! The reason Zelda has lasted so long was the formula that has been used since the first one. You know. Need to get 3 shiny things, hurt the boss 3 times, the mini boss, new weapon combo. And why would you do a dungeon with no boss?.

[sub/] Sorry about the rant.[/sub]

Jun 26, 2009
a prequal... tidy. I love prequals...
[sub] I still want a FFX prequal that's about Jecht, Auren and Braska [/sub]
[sub] [sub] [sub] Mainly Auren [/sub] [/sub] [/sub]

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
This would be interesting... I was actually having an argument with a friend about the fact that Zelda has become: Roam world, enter dungeon, get gadget, use gadget to beat boss. Rinse and repeat.
I have no problem with this, as long as Nintendo still come up with ingenious puzzles and beautiful games. If it does become open world though, it could bring back people like my friend which could only be for the better.

vivadelkitty

Dec 21, 2008
I actually like this idea, and I'm a diehard Zelda fan (by diehard, I mean I've played through and beaten every one in existence except for the Tingle/CDi games). The formula change will obviously upset some people, but if they pull it off well, it could turn out really interesting.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
"Set hundreds of years before Ocarina of Time"????

NINTENDO ALREADY SAID THERE WASN'T A TIMELINE! WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE!?!

I'm highly confused. Must hear more. This sounds interesting.

vivadelkitty said:
I actually like this idea, and I'm a diehard Zelda fan (by diehard, I mean I've played through and beaten every one in existence except for the Tingle/CDi games). The formula change will obviously upset some people, but if they pull it off well, it could turn out really interesting.
What CD-i games? They don't exist, remember?

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Interesting, I always thought of the Zelda franchise in total as an "open" world... other than having to go into a house/dungeon, I never felt like it was linear at all...

Maybe I'm not understanding the big deal here?

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
Making it a prequel would require them to pretend there's some sort of logical continuity to the series, which so far they've been too smart to try.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
I also heard that there'll be a new character. BULL. Twilight Princess was open worls, wasn't it? Seperating dungeons and getting rid of Link doesn't sit well with me. I hope it doesn't happen for the sake of all that is good in gaming.

fionnandstuff

Mar 11, 2010
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
I still want a FFX prequal that's about Jecht, Auren and Braska
[sub] Mainly Auren [/sub]
Thank you! Will somebody at Square Enix please cop the fuck on and make this game?!